2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

On 4/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer soon, Knox and Oliver next spring.

Edmunds traded

Devin UFA

Edmunds is like 22 right. He's been a Captain for multiple years on a top 5 or better defense.  He's our QB on defense, I believe he'll be priority number 1 out of all of em. I believe the staff loves him and the fans got it wrong. Knox and Oliver right behind in that order 

I Would love to see Poyer get an extension, but it has to be reasonable or probably a little less than his market value. If he was under 30 , sure , but we can't keep em all

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Knox is a rising star, this year will determine how big of a star people think he can be.   He may get monster money, maybe just good money.  I’d like him back, but money talks.

Oliver, good player, not worth a monster deal though.  We’ll see what this year says.

Edmunds, I hope the dude gets PAID, by the Dolphins.

Motor isn’t going to be big money.

Poyer will be decided upon after the Edmunds decision is made, if he gets another couple years, Edmunds is gone.  I like him, but she and body abuse is a question.. if he and Edmunds end up gone, won’t be shocked.

I just don't see a justification for extending Poyer, as much as I like him.  I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve an extension, I think he probably does, I don't see how the Bills could swing it though.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, TBBills said:

Wow people actually want to keep Edmunds here.

Yes, he eats up space in the Bills heavily dependent “coverage defense.”  I just don’t see the Bills front office letting him go.  On the other hand, it is very telling that they have not already extended him. Based on the latter I could be very wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

I read in a article that Poyer with getting his new agent is looking to sign 1 last really big contract & that he has been giving the Bills a home town discount & in some ways feel he's been shorted money wise & if what he's looking for is a huge contract i don't think it will happen but i would like to see him end his career as a Bill .

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, mushypeaches said:

I'm laughing at the thought of fans viewing Knox as average.  He doesn't have all the fancy receiving stats yet because he's sharing targets with a pretty strong group of WR's in a dynamic offense.  But he was a game changer at several points last year and took a huge step forward.  He'll be a $12M/year player on his next contract and that might be on the low 

I've always liked Knox since his angry runs when he was a rookie.  Just can see how his compete meshes with Josh's.  Yes he definitely will be fielding some top TE numbers if he is alowed to get to FA.  The question will come down to whether or not that chemistry and that fit is more important to Knox and he agrees to a team friendly extension to remain in Buffalo.  

Knox did just buy a home in Buffalo.  Doesn't guarantee he already knows or plans on remaining in Buffalo but it sure could mean one of those scenarios is in play as we are not privy to what conversations take place between players, agents and the team.  But buying your first home is still a major commitment and for someone whose career can be one that is subject to sudden relocations, I tend to think he is planning on staying in Buffalo and it isn't because he's addicted to the wings and blue cheese.   I'm sure he had been renting something that was suitable for his lifestyle so he didn't need to buy a home here unless he had plans on remaining long term.  

So the obvious friendship, chemistry Knox has with Allen and his buying a home here I'm fairly confident he's not looking at money as the priority in his next contract.  I think beane has a good grasp on how to time the contract talks and think he maintains ongoing conversations with his players and their agents that are based on respect and honesty.   I don't ever see Beane have to deal with a situation like when we lost Jason Peters.  I think Beane would have adjusted the pay when he clearly outperformed the salary based on playing rt then blossoming as an elite lt.  Of course easier to pay a kings random to protect a Josh Allen than to pay top lt money to protect Trent Edwards with JP Losman as his backup.  If the sides were too far apart and still negotiating I don't think Knox buys the home.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

Spotrac has the Bills over next year's cap by $12M with them already adding $10M to this year's cap.

Cap is probably going up more than that but by how much Beane and the other GMs know better than us.

Bills won't be carrying over anything significant into 2023 from this year.

Even though they show 55 players (59 but 4 are voids) next year a whole bunch of those guys won't be on the team by cutdown and Beane

will have to restructure some contracts just to get the other depth players signed or replaced from this year's players.

Ed Oliver is already on his 5th year option, so it won't get done until next season (probably in the summer).

Knox is the first to get the decision after the season is up.  I think he signs a fairly decent contract for both sides.

Poyer is going to want longer terms and more money than Beane can afford, I think he walks in FA.

Singletary will be testing the market and probably get what he wants and moves on.  Then again, if he doesn't get the money he may stay.

It's hard to estimate the RB UFA market.

I truly have no idea what will happen with Edmunds.  They would want to keep him, but I think he is the guy that will depend on where the cap is going.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has the Bills over next year's cap by $12M with them already adding $10M to this year's cap.

Cap is probably going up more than that but by how much Beane and the other GMs know better than us.

Bills won't be carrying over anything significant into 2023 from this year.

Even though they show 55 players (59 but 4 are voids) next year a whole bunch of those guys won't be on the team by cutdown and Beane

will have to restructure some contracts just to get the other depth players signed or replaced from this year's players.

Ed Oliver is already on his 5th year option, so it won't get done until next season (probably in the summer).

Knox is the first to get the decision after the season is up.  I think he signs a fairly decent contract for both sides.

Poyer is going to want longer terms and more money than Beane can afford, I think he walks in FA.

Singletary will be testing the market and probably get what he wants and moves on.  Then again, if he doesn't get the money he may stay.

It's hard to estimate the RB UFA market.

I truly have no idea what will happen with Edmunds.  They would want to keep him, but I think he is the guy that will depend on where the cap is going.

Do you think they use the franchise tag on any of these guys?

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do you think they use the franchise tag on any of these guys?

I don't think so.  If anyone I guess maybe Edmunds.  If they did that it would be to get his replacement ready.

I think Beane is pretty straight with his thoughts, and I get the feeling he doesn't like having to use them.

Edited by ColoradoBills

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think so.  If anyone I guess maybe Edmunds.  If they did that it would be to get his replacement ready.

I think Beane is pretty straight with his thoughts, and I get the feeling he doesn't like having to use them.

The LB franchise tag is super inflated by 3-4 edge rushers classified as linebackers. No way they give Edmunds $18.7 million for 1 season.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/8/2022 at 2:59 PM, MAJBobby said:

Priority in order

Oliver - Do an Allen type extension. Add 4 years to his Rookie deal. 

Edmunds - new Deal 5 years 50M (He means more to the Bills than fans want to believe) 

Knox - 6 year Deal. Probably at the 11M AAV range. (Could be a Tag Option) 

Singletary - I wouldn’t extend a RB 

Poyer - I would play this season out and put the Tag on him as long as I can get Knox Done 

NO

No

Yes

Yes

Meh

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

The LB franchise tag is super inflated by 3-4 edge rushers classified as linebackers. No way they give Edmunds $18.7 million for 1 season.

Your right.  I keep forgetting they include the Edge Rushers in LB instead of DE.

Truthfully it hurts the "classic" linebackers if you ask me.

I went back and crossed out that statement.

Edited by ColoradoBills

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

For some reason I was thinking the franchise tag didn’t count against the cap, but just looked it up and apparently does.  Given there’s not even that benefit, doesn’t really seem like an approach Beane would generally take with a player.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

For some reason I was thinking the franchise tag didn’t count against the cap, but just looked it up and apparently does.  Given there’s not even that benefit, doesn’t really seem like an approach Beane would generally take with a player.

He hasn’t used it in the past and I agree I don’t think he would prefer to do so but in a SB window… could see him tagging Knox out of anyone because the TE cap hit isn’t as high 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.