2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

18 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Did I miss something? I’ve seen this a couple of times lately on here but no one has said where they saw this 

I didn’t see her say all that was quoted but I did see a tweet that was deleted, forgot what it said but the overall sentiment was that they’re (she’s) not happy 

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

Buffalo is estimated to have $2M free next year. 

The chips are in the center of the table. 2022 is the giddy up year. 

with the cap going up $25m? If so, that's really low, though more restructures are possible

11 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

with the cap going up $25m? If so, that's really low, though more restructures are possible

Spotrac is estimating $218M. Which might be a bit conservative. The highest estimates I’ve seen for 2023 are $225M. Could maybe be more but $9M isn’t huge either with Singletary, Knox, and Poyer needing new contracts. 

I am happy to have Miller and Stef but it will certainly come at a cost the next few years. We will have to get more immediate production from our top 100 picks moving forward if we want the window to stay open. 

• Agree 1

As the vote is showing, if we can keep only two, let them be Dawson and Ed.

Though losing Jordan and Tremaine would be painful…. Very painful. Probably take us out of being a Super Bowl favorite.

Even if we drafted both spots next year….No compensation until the following year…. Yikes!

I coulda swore we signed OJ to two years…. I was hoping he could cover for a year….but no…

I don’t think we can carry three TEs this year….we need that FB, no? Lotta ST snaps and FB and TE? Lotta snaps….

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree Oliver and Knox are the priorities there. I hope we can keep them all at the right price, but you need the young up-an-comers. I’ve always liked Knox more than most, even when he battled with the dropsies. I LOVE his trajectory and ceiling. Oliver is too good to let him get away easy, and I think his best years are ahead of him as well. 

Singletary shouldn’t cost much to keep. It always comes down to the dollars. 

This just goes to show how critical the draft is. You have to keep restocking the shelves with cheap labor. You can’t pay everyone top dollar! 

They are not going to pay $5M a year for Singletary.  I see them drafting Hall this year in the 1st round (or trading up in the 2nd round)

Who gets extended? 

Ask Brandon Beane, he’s certain to loop you in…,  

5 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

So who starts in the middle if Edmunds is traded.  A rookie? 

Im not an Edmunds basher, at all. Hes basically a huge zone dead center of our zone. I think our scheme revolves around having this kind of guy.  That said, he's not impossible to replace. Draft his replacement this year, start Tremaine, and let him walk next year. Theres no reason to get cute here and trade his services for whats realistically a 3rd. Id rather have a SB this year, than an extra 3rd (or second or even first honestly).

This buys the rookie some time to get up to speed.

Im extending Knox and Oliver, see if maybe we can tag Poyer, depending on his receptiveness to it.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Im not an Edmunds basher, at all. Hes basically a huge zone dead center of our zone. I think our scheme revolves around having this kind of guy.  That said, he's not impossible to replace. Draft his replacement this year, start Tremaine, and let him walk next year. Theres no reason to get cute here and trade his services for whats realistically a 3rd. Id rather have a SB this year, than an extra 3rd (or second or even first honestly).

This buys the rookie some time to get up to speed.

Im extending Knox and Oliver, see if maybe we can tag Poyer, depending on his receptiveness to it.

I've bashed him a handful of times recently just because that's the cool thing to do lately. 

That being said, watching buffalo plus recently Dan fetes pointed out some things that were kind of eye opening to me. 

Edmunds pre-draft scouting weaknesses are the same weaknesses that he has shown after being in the league for 4 years. 

Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts

Can be a step slow to diagnose

Lured by misdirection

Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire

Whether you want to blame coaching or the player, the fact is these issues are still apparent. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I've bashed him a handful of times recently just because that's the cool thing to do lately. 

That being said, watching buffalo plus recently Dan fetes pointed out some things that were kind of eye opening to me. 

Edmunds pre-draft scouting weaknesses are the same weaknesses that he has shown after being in the league for 4 years. 

Instincts are average and relies on athletic gifts

Can be a step slow to diagnose

Lured by misdirection

Will take random downhill paths that trap him in the quagmire

Whether you want to blame coaching or the player, the fact is these issues are still apparent. 

bad angles! i dont understand how a LB is still taking terrible angles. no nfl trait is a gimme, but taking proper angles has got to be one of the easier traits to have

10 hours ago, elijah said:

Between the contracts and money handed out this offseason, Poyer changing agents and very polarizing opinions on Edmunds this is starting to become a pretty hot topic on Twitter. 

Right now according to Over The Cap, the Bills are projected to have around $21,868,000 in 2023 Cap Space. With that cap space, Jordan Poyer, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox and Devin Singletary will all be due extensions. The Spotrac market value numbers are as follows, 

Jordan Poyer: 2yrs/$23M

Tremaine Edmunds: 4yrs/$55M

Dawson Knox: 3yrs/$25M

Ed Oliver: $10M-$15M per year

Devin Singletary: $4M-$8M per year

Oliver & Singletary didn’t have market values yet, so just rough guesstimates for them two. 

With that being said, Beane can easily clear more space next year by restructuring bonuses for Allen, Miller and Diggs, among the other magic he works.

Assuming Beane can only extend 3 of these guys, as that seems like the logical number with the projected cap space and cap hits, who does TBD think it would be? 

My own take, and I suppose part of the motivation in creating this thread, would be a hot take for most in that Edmunds gets his extension before/rather than Knox getting an extension. 

I think Ed Oliver is the only lock on the list for the extension and Beane has come close to saying so himself. As for Poyer, I think he’s an integral part of the defense and there’s only noise right now because he switched his agent (and a particularly noisy sidekick acting as she does). He’s coming off of an all-pro year, and a $12M/year contract on a short term deal shouldn’t price Beane out of a top 3 safety tandem in the league. 

As for Edmunds, I’m an Edmunds truther (apologist?). Believe it or not, he’s only 23 years old going into his 5th season! 😆 But jokes aside, NFL execs love him for a reason. He’s fast, lengthy and just starting to come into his own. 

If Beane could make the numbers for Knox work, I’m not here to say that Knox won’t get extended. But with the Bills projected to be tight to the cap, I just don’t see how Knox works in with the numbers. In my scenario, between Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver you’re looking at about $35M-$40M of extension money and maybe more. 

Knox had a good development year, but it was just that, a good development year. I think fans have taken a 9 TD season and some big plays in big moments, and started to convince themselves he’s a cornerstone and vital piece of the offense. In reality, he only had 49 receptions (18th among TE’s) and 587 yards (15th). He’s just an average tight end in a WR-driven offense. 

What say you, TBD? 

Poyer, Knox and Oliver

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Poyer soon, Knox and Oliver next spring.

Edmunds traded

Devin UFA

I can see a 2 year extension for poyer given his last year and maybe a lower contract but a ton guaranteed.  $20 mil., but $15 guaranteed.

I absolutely see Oliver and Knox getting extensions when in their last year.  I have no issues with Edmunds, but with these extensions, he may be the odd man out.  This team can only pay so many guys.  Someone is out on musical chairs.

19 hours ago, wppete said:

We need to lock up Big Ed right now before he has his breakout season. 

We've got Ed for two more years, with 2023 guaranteed at $10.7M. We'd save by extending him, unlike the others.

So I think Knox - Edmunds - Oliver. 

Then have to give up on one of Poyer and Singletary, very probably to be fore-shadowed by who they bring in in the first four or so rounds this year.

I can see them only bringing back two of them, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Did I miss something? I’ve seen this a couple of times lately on here but no one has said where they saw this 

Twitter.  Rachel Bush is very active, and isn't shy about stating her opinions.

Now she didn't come straight-out and say they were upset.  But if you read between the lines... it was pretty obvious.

First there was a comment Bush made immediately after the Von Miller signing, which (paraphrasing) suggested we needed to pay the current Bills players first, because they were the #1 Defense in the league.  Especially the guy who was a 1st Team All-Pro.  That was probably the first red flag that Poyer wasn't happy, especially because other Bills players were celebrating and getting excited about their new teammate.

Then after the Stephon Diggs contract was announced, she retweeted someone's comment questioning why Diggs was prioritized with 2-years left on his deal, but Poyer was still unsigned with 1-year left.  Then only hours later, you have Poyer loudly announcing his change in agents.

Edited by mjt328
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.