2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

I believe both Oliver and Knox will get extensions. I believe Edmunds will have to earn his on the field this year. They will use the Franchise Tag on him if need be and if his play warrants it. I can't see them giving Singletary $4M-8M. This is Poyer's swan song in a Bills' uni, possibly Hyde's as well. Don't be surprised if we go Safety with one of our picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I don't think Edmunds over Knox at all.  Edmunds seems replaceable to me and they should be getting that person in the upcoming draft.  That Troy Anderson would do nicely IMO.

Knox didn't just have a good developmental year, he had a good year period.  And he is ascending.  Not only did his numbers shoot up but his blocking improved tremendously.  To me, he is a core member of the offense.  If Dawson would do the hypothetical 3yr/$25M, you do that now.  Njoku is getting >$10M.

You haven't seen Edmunds play with a dominant D-line, and with a free agency,walk year yet. In his defense, he does a lot of things well and has not been used to maximize his speed in pressure packages at all. He runs down backs and underneath receivers as well as anybody and calls defensive signals for a top 5 defense. His instincts in space should improve and he's 23. You have rookies replacing him without a drop-off?. He will be extended guaranteed. Beane and Sean love him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, elijah said:

Between the contracts and money handed out this offseason, Poyer changing agents and very polarizing opinions on Edmunds this is starting to become a pretty hot topic on Twitter. 

Right now according to Over The Cap, the Bills are projected to have around $21,868,000 in 2023 Cap Space. With that cap space, Jordan Poyer, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox and Devin Singletary will all be due extensions. The Spotrac market value numbers are as follows, 

Jordan Poyer: 2yrs/$23M

Tremaine Edmunds: 4yrs/$55M

Dawson Knox: 3yrs/$25M

Ed Oliver: $10M-$15M per year

Devin Singletary: $4M-$8M per year

Oliver & Singletary didn’t have market values yet, so just rough guesstimates for them two. 

With that being said, Beane can easily clear more space next year by restructuring bonuses for Allen, Miller and Diggs, among the other magic he works.

Assuming Beane can only extend 3 of these guys, as that seems like the logical number with the projected cap space and cap hits, who does TBD think it would be? 

My own take, and I suppose part of the motivation in creating this thread, would be a hot take for most in that Edmunds gets his extension before/rather than Knox getting an extension. 

I think Ed Oliver is the only lock on the list for the extension and Beane has come close to saying so himself. As for Poyer, I think he’s an integral part of the defense and there’s only noise right now because he switched his agent (and a particularly noisy sidekick acting as she does). He’s coming off of an all-pro year, and a $12M/year contract on a short term deal shouldn’t price Beane out of a top 3 safety tandem in the league. 

As for Edmunds, I’m an Edmunds truther (apologist?). Believe it or not, he’s only 23 years old going into his 5th season! 😆 But jokes aside, NFL execs love him for a reason. He’s fast, lengthy and just starting to come into his own. 

If Beane could make the numbers for Knox work, I’m not here to say that Knox won’t get extended. But with the Bills projected to be tight to the cap, I just don’t see how Knox works in with the numbers. In my scenario, between Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver you’re looking at about $35M-$40M of extension money and maybe more. 

Knox had a good development year, but it was just that, a good development year. I think fans have taken a 9 TD season and some big plays in big moments, and started to convince themselves he’s a cornerstone and vital piece of the offense. In reality, he only had 49 receptions (18th among TE’s) and 587 yards (15th). He’s just an average tight end in a WR-driven offense. 

What say you, TBD? 

Though I am a fan of Singletary, it is not a good use of resources to give an average rb a second contract.

All in on Poyer, Knox, and Oliver.  Edmunds could go either way.  Just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Davis I think when he is due the cap will be high enough to fit two top paid WRs. I do think this year will go along way for him on if he is going to get that second contract in Buffalo 

Agreed. It wont be long until teams will have $100M wrapped up in 3 guys. QB ($50M), WR1 ($30M), WR2 ($20M).

Poyer will be 31 next year, and all those other guys are much younger. The most logical scenario has him moving on. I think Beane drafts a safety early this year so he can respectfully let Jordan hit the market and retire a very rich man. I believe his services on a two year deal would be very valuable out there, possibly more per year than the Bills would want to match. On the other hand, teams might balk a bit at an older player in a position where speed matters. 

Singletary would be the other candidate to go, based him being the most easily replaced of the lot.

Oliver, Knox, and Edmunds are all young, home-grown, and integral to the team, so they will get deals unless the numbers just can't possibly work. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ed Oliver is pretty much a lock.  This regime clearly prioritizes the D-Line over other positions on the defense.  Right now, he's pretty underrated across the league.  But he is very likely on the verge of a break-out season (with extra blocking attention on Von Miller). 

Jordan Poyer was probably next on Beane's list for an extension.  Now I'm not so sure.  Over the last few weeks, Poyer's wife (Rachel Bush) has made their feelings very public.  They were not happy with Miller getting big bucks or Stephon Diggs getting prioritized on a new contract.  That may not go-over well with our front office.  Agent Drew Rosenhaus also has a reputation for trying to squeeze teams for every last cent, which may price him out of our services.

Dawson Knox will probably depend on market value.  His stats are clearly limited by this offense, since we have so many other weapons.  Will another team be willing to offer him a Top 5 contract for his position?  

Tremaine Edmunds is probably the odd-man out.  It's a combination of timing (when he becomes a free agent), and the high chance that his market FAR outpaces his actual value.  You can't re-sign everyone, and I could see Beane taking a chance with a mid-round linebacker (future replacement) as early as this draft.

Devon Singletary is an average running back, and very replaceable.  This team does not value the position very high either.  I think we draft someone on Day 2 this year, and don't see him getting a second contract.

Extend Oliver and Knox. Both players continue to get better and if you believe in signing your own guys these two deserve it.

Let Edmunds walk after this year. If he really steps it up a notch then tag him to make him prove it

I'd be fine with reworking Poyer's deal this year by adding a year and making this year salary a signing bonus. I think he can still play at a high level for 2 more years. I would not commit to him beyond 2023 through. They can get younger and cheaper at safety in the future.

Singletary is nothing special and I want no part of a RB on a second contract.

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed. It wont be long until teams will have $100M wrapped up in 3 guys. QB ($50M), WR1 ($30M), WR2 ($20M).

Throw in Edge, CB1 and LT, and you’d better be darn good at drafting everything else! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Definitely Poyer and Knox

i also voted Oliver but then saw the numbers. 15 million/year for a player that plays 58% of the snaps on defense is not ok. Same reason I didn’t want this team to draft a DT that high. Let’s see what Tim Settle can do with more playing time. 

Hard no on Edmunds. There’s a good chance a rookie is an upgrade over him. Give a young guy one year to learn and see how he does. Tag and trade Edmunds if possible. Other wise let the 2nd year player on rookie contract take over. 

People talking about age in the Edmunds vs Poyer debate need to realize there are plenty 24 year olds who aren’t good NFL middle linebackers, but only a handful of all pro safeties. 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The thing about Poyer is why haven’t they extended him already? Final year, Defensive captain, All-pro, team leader.

The change of agent may speak volumes about that. He may have not seen sufficient headway made from his former representation. If he doesn't get it from Drew, he won't ever get it.

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I picked Oliver, Knox and Edmunds. 

2 are obvious, but Edmunds extension is priceless entertainment on here for years to come, can’t turn that down. 

Bonus, he's so young it could be 6-8 years. 😱😅

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And right now we have 5 out of the 6 we listed (not WR2) under contract long term. Most on team friendly deals.

Magic Beane. :worthy:

While Belichick has a LB, two TE’s and a couple so-so WR’s as his top 5 highest paid players.  He’s NOT a genius as a GM. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Ed Oliver is pretty much a lock.  This regime clearly prioritizes the D-Line over other positions on the defense.  Right now, he's pretty underrated across the league.  But he is very likely on the verge of a break-out season (with extra blocking attention on Von Miller). 

Jordan Poyer was probably next on Beane's list for an extension.  Now I'm not so sure.  Over the last few weeks, Poyer's wife (Rachel Bush) has made their feelings very public.  They were not happy with Miller getting big bucks or Stephon Diggs getting prioritized on a new contract.  That may not go-over well with our front office.  Agent Drew Rosenhaus also has a reputation for trying to squeeze teams for every last cent, which may price him out of our services.

Dawson Knox will probably depend on market value.  His stats are clearly limited by this offense, since we have so many other weapons.  Will another team be willing to offer him a Top 5 contract for his position?  

Tremaine Edmunds is probably the odd-man out.  It's a combination of timing (when he becomes a free agent), and the high chance that his market FAR outpaces his actual value.  You can't re-sign everyone, and I could see Beane taking a chance with a mid-round linebacker (future replacement) as early as this draft.

Devon Singletary is an average running back, and very replaceable.  This team does not value the position very high either.  I think we draft someone on Day 2 this year, and don't see him getting a second contract.

Did I miss something? I’ve seen this a couple of times lately on here but no one has said where they saw this 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.