2023 Extension? (Poyer/Edmunds/Knox/Oliver)

elijah

Who gets extended past their current contract?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets extended past their current contract?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Dawson Knox
    • Ed Oliver
    • Devin Singletary

Between the contracts and money handed out this offseason, Poyer changing agents and very polarizing opinions on Edmunds this is starting to become a pretty hot topic on Twitter. 

Right now according to Over The Cap, the Bills are projected to have around $21,868,000 in 2023 Cap Space. With that cap space, Jordan Poyer, Tremaine Edmunds, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox and Devin Singletary will all be due extensions. The Spotrac market value numbers are as follows, 

Jordan Poyer: 2yrs/$23M

Tremaine Edmunds: 4yrs/$55M

Dawson Knox: 3yrs/$25M

Ed Oliver: $10M-$15M per year

Devin Singletary: $4M-$8M per year

Oliver & Singletary didn’t have market values yet, so just rough guesstimates for them two. 

With that being said, Beane can easily clear more space next year by restructuring bonuses for Allen, Miller and Diggs, among the other magic he works.

Assuming Beane can only extend 3 of these guys, as that seems like the logical number with the projected cap space and cap hits, who does TBD think it would be? 

My own take, and I suppose part of the motivation in creating this thread, would be a hot take for most in that Edmunds gets his extension before/rather than Knox getting an extension. 

I think Ed Oliver is the only lock on the list for the extension and Beane has come close to saying so himself. As for Poyer, I think he’s an integral part of the defense and there’s only noise right now because he switched his agent (and a particularly noisy sidekick acting as she does). He’s coming off of an all-pro year, and a $12M/year contract on a short term deal shouldn’t price Beane out of a top 3 safety tandem in the league. 

As for Edmunds, I’m an Edmunds truther (apologist?). Believe it or not, he’s only 23 years old going into his 5th season! 😆 But jokes aside, NFL execs love him for a reason. He’s fast, lengthy and just starting to come into his own. 

If Beane could make the numbers for Knox work, I’m not here to say that Knox won’t get extended. But with the Bills projected to be tight to the cap, I just don’t see how Knox works in with the numbers. In my scenario, between Poyer, Edmunds and Oliver you’re looking at about $35M-$40M of extension money and maybe more. 

Knox had a good development year, but it was just that, a good development year. I think fans have taken a 9 TD season and some big plays in big moments, and started to convince themselves he’s a cornerstone and vital piece of the offense. In reality, he only had 49 receptions (18th among TE’s) and 587 yards (15th). He’s just an average tight end in a WR-driven offense. 

What say you, TBD? 

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, elijah said:

My own take, and I suppose part of the motivation in creating this thread, would be a hot take for most in that Edmunds gets his extension before/rather than Knox getting an extension. 

Knox had a good development year, but it was just that, a good development year. I think fans have taken a 9 TD season and some big plays in big moments, and started to convince themselves he’s a cornerstone and vital piece of the offense. In reality, he only had 49 receptions (18th among TE’s) and 587 yards (15th). He’s just an average tight end in a WR-driven offense. 

I don't think Edmunds over Knox at all.  Edmunds seems replaceable to me and they should be getting that person in the upcoming draft.  That Troy Anderson would do nicely IMO.

Knox didn't just have a good developmental year, he had a good year period.  And he is ascending.  Not only did his numbers shoot up but his blocking improved tremendously.  To me, he is a core member of the offense.  If Dawson would do the hypothetical 3yr/$25M, you do that now.  Njoku is getting >$10M.

• Agree 1

Those spotrac numbers are ridiculous, especially Knox’s l, 3 years 25M lol.  If that’s the number, he’d be back 💯.  But he’s getting 11-15M aav imo.  

Ed is the only player guaranteed to be extended imo.  

No to Motor.  Good player at a position not worth paying. I’d bring him back for 1-2M.

I’d offer Poyer 2022 and 2023 gtd money @ just under 10M aav.  That would give us Poyer and Hyde for the next 2 years, at which time we would likely move on from at least one of them given their age.  

edmunds, I’d offer the same contract as Milano.  If declined ✌️ 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think they'll do Oliver's 5th year option and after that I think Knox will be the priority re-signing.  The Bills may want to bring back the other guys but they'll leave for more money imo.

I agree Oliver and Knox are the priorities there. I hope we can keep them all at the right price, but you need the young up-and-comers. I’ve always liked Knox more than most, even when he battled with the dropsies. I LOVE his trajectory and ceiling. Oliver is too good to let him get away easy, and I think his best years are ahead of him as well. 

Singletary shouldn’t cost much to keep. It always comes down to the dollars. 

This just goes to show how critical the draft is. You have to keep restocking the shelves with cheap labor. You can’t pay everyone top dollar! 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 3

Ed Oliver I think is a no brainer at this point. Hasn't quite lived up to the top 10 pick but he's getting there and good enough to give another contract to. I think they can get Knox on a pretty affordable deal. He just bought a house a few months ago in Orchard Park so he's planning on staying imo. I think Edmunds is more important than Poyer unfortunately. Edmunds calls the defensive plays. Another guy off the street can't easily and quickly fill that spot so if it came down to it they are probably trying to keep Edmunds if they can. I think Hyde is more important than Poyer. Wish we could keep them all but I think Poyer made his feelings known by hiring a new agent that he wants a big long term deal and I don't think the Bills are going to be able to keep him

Definitely Knox. I'd love to keep Singletary and Poyer, but I don't know if we can afford them. Edmunds can be easily replaced. Oliver needs to take a big step in 2022. He has been very ordinary since day 1 and shown very little improvement to date. I haven't bought into the narrative that he had a breakout season in 2021. I'm also tired of people making excuses for him. It's always about how he needs better players around him. He was a top 10 pick. He should be the one making the players around him better, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Priority in order

Oliver - Do an Allen type extension. Add 4 years to his Rookie deal. 

Edmunds - new Deal 5 years 50M (He means more to the Bills than fans want to believe) 

Knox - 6 year Deal. Probably at the 11M AAV range. (Could be a Tag Option) 

Singletary - I wouldn’t extend a RB 

Poyer - I would play this season out and put the Tag on him as long as I can get Knox Done 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'm laughing at the thought of fans viewing Knox as average.  He doesn't have all the fancy receiving stats yet because he's sharing targets with a pretty strong group of WR's in a dynamic offense.  But he was a game changer at several points last year and took a huge step forward.  He'll be a $12M/year player on his next contract and that might be on the low end

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I think they'll do Oliver's 5th year option and after that I think Knox will be the priority re-signing.  The Bills may want to bring back the other guys but they'll leave for more money imo.

I believe they have already picked up his 5th year option for next year.  That is done and set.

Give me Oliver and Knox.

3T is critical to our defensive scheme. Knox has “top five in the league” upside.

I like Edmunds, but he hadn’t played well enough or been enough of a difference maker to spend the kind of money on him that he’ll be seeking. Draft his replacement this year or next.

I love Poyer, but he’s about to be 32 soon, and you simply can’t pay everyone. Furthermore, McDermott has shown conclusively that he can coach up safeties to high levels of production.

• Like (+1) 2

The reality is with the Bills is there needs to be a Trophy this year if not this team will need changes. 

gotta get faster on Defense. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oliver and Knox. Dont care about anyone else on the list (no disrespect to Poyer, but I think he'll be aging out).

Will be interesting to see what we do with Davis too.

Davis I think when he is due the cap will be high enough to fit two top paid WRs. I do think this year will go along way for him on if he is going to get that second contract in Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.