DOLPHINS Player who practiced reeking of booze?

BuffaloRebound

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure he's saying the second.  Why do you ASS U ME the team didn't offer help or interventions?  The team may have done both.

True. I guess I assumed that because he didn't mention having tried to get the guy help. That, coupled with the general corporate mentality that the only thing that matters is the bottom line, led me to conclude that the team simply didn't have a damn about the player. I could be wrong in that assumption.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DJB said:

Rex Ryan called Bills games like he was drunk

Rex was just suffering de agony of de feet

Bada-BING

I'll show myself out.

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Oh, I get all of that.  But he's also admitting to personally turning a blind eye, putting himself at risk.  

I mean, look, Dan Campbell is the coach who talked about having his players bite other players knees off, which strikes me as 1) ineffective through all the padding and braces guys wear - who needs a mouthful of dirty Lycra and closed cell foam? Yuck-o 2) creepy and cannibalistic

So my expectations for him are low.

But, technically, he's admitting no such thing.  All organizations have a chain of command, and for all you and I know, he could be on record for following it to express concerns and even documenting that he did so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, sirebors said:

I hate when I'm told I have to "discuss" by your post. Why is that necessary? Isn't that inherently the point of these message boards? Or is it you just being lazy and not wanting to "discuss" the topic yourself? You put a post, a name, and "discuss." I'd like to "discuss" you possibly not telling us to "discuss" anymore. 

Discussing “discuss” - how meta…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, sirebors said:

I hate when I'm told I have to "discuss" by your post. Why is that necessary? Isn't that inherently the point of these message boards? Or is it you just being lazy and not wanting to "discuss" the topic yourself? You put a post, a name, and "discuss." I'd like to "discuss" you possibly not telling us to "discuss" anymore. 

were your 217 other posts this awesome?

discuss...

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to DOLPHINS Player who practiced reeking of booze?

Art Donovan told a story on Letterman from him playing i the late 50s. They sack Bobby Laine of the Lions  and Donovan said " Wow you reek. You must have had a hell of a light last night.  We'll get drunk sacking you. " Laine tells him" What last night.  I had a couple of shots at halftime."

Baltmore Colts great defensive tackle Art Donovan wrote a very funny book called “Fatso”, one of his anecdotes was about a game against Bobby Lane lead Detroit Lions. Donovan sacked Lane a number of times in the first half, he sacked him again at the beginning of the second half. As he lay on top of Lane he said “Jesus Christ! Bob you stink of Jack Daniel’s!”, Lane replied “you’re killing me Artie I had to do something!”.

Just now, Wacka said:

Art Donovan told a story on Letterman from him playing i the late 50s. They sack Bobby Laine of the Lions  and Donovan said " Wow you reek. You must have had a hell of a light last night.  We'll get drunk sacking you. " Laine tells him" What last night.  I had a couple of shots at halftime."

Ha just beat me too it.

Yeah, and Pat Summerall was drunk weekly with Madden on football.  There are alcoholics in all walks of life.  A lot of the time it is self medicating.  I think it was Poyer who admitted he had a problem and was public on his rehab.

Im not sure the motivation on Campbell other than what we know that the NFL will put up with anything if you produce.  So does corporate America.  How many alcoholics are there on Wall Street?

Like everything, it is a personal decision and it’s progressive, so whoever it was he will eventually progress until it’s a real problem for him. Then maybe he’ll do something.

Im not trying to be callous, but my background (Irish Catholic from Buffalo) leads to a couple on my family.  It may be a generalization, but at least in my family true.  I’m overly cautious as a result.  Whoever it is he is speaking to, I hope he gets the help he needs when he’s ready to hear it.  It’s deaf ears until that time.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I didn’t read the link. All I know is I probably won’t care.

If you’re practicing and reeking like booze, I’m more impressed with the fact you’re practicing. Live your life.

I operate on the philosophy that I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't impact me or my family. When it comes to alcoholics they definitely can negatively impact other people. I doubt he's drinking and then taking a taxi to practice every time. Probably drunk or at least impaired driving on the daily. If he's showing up smelling of booze and the team didn't get him help or at least a personal driver then they are negligent

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

He's trying to say that teams will put up with virtually any behavior as long as the player produces on the field. Winning is the only thing that matters.

He's actually saying that teams are willing to let a player ruin his own life without offering any help or interventions, as long as he produces on the field. Winning matters more than people.

Concerning your 2nd paragraph; NFL players do have access to all number of physical and mental health venues, but as the sayings go, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”, (and sometimes ya just can’t fix stupid) 

Concerning your 1st paragraph; It stands to reason, just look at all the women beaters that owners/league have snuggled up with over the years…,  money talks, everything else can take a stroll…,  the saying that “it’s just business” is at times akin to a free pass for being a dirt bag. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He's trying to say that teams will put up with virtually any behavior as long as the player produces on the field. Winning is the only thing that matters.

He's actually saying that teams are willing to let a player ruin his own life without offering any help or interventions, as long as he produces on the field. Winning matters more than people.

Isn't that the bottom line in most businesses?  the end result is what matters.  You produce in your job, the company loves you.  You act crazy (within reason) outside of work, who cares as long as it doesn't effect your work performance.  As an adult you should be responsible for your own actions.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.