Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

I would want to get a CB and an outside WR in the first 2 picks. I would go CB unless I really think there's enough depth at the position to get someone who can play and contribute from day 1. Outside WR is for depth behind Diggs & Davis, so I think CB is more important, but if there is better value at WR I'm okay, as long as we definitely go CB in round 2, and maybe round 3

I do think though that Beane will still sign one or two veteran CBs. I wouldn't be surprised to see one signed before the draft so he has more flexibility in the draft

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Yantha said:

I'd take a corner if the board shaped up that way in the first.

Really depends on who might slip down to 25.  There are players in our first round BIG BOARD that I'd take over a corner.  I agree that corner is a huge need, but at the same time, I think we should have addressed this need a bit more in FA.

Do we really want to make a serious superbowl challenge with ANY rookie corner matching up against a seasoned vet, playoff-caliber WR?

Corners need developing, even the best draftees.

You make a very good point about rookie CB's lining up against seasoned, pro bowl caliber WR's, which is what I envision with us, seeing as though we'll most likely

be playing in January for years to come. And the only CB's in this draft I feel could do that year one with minimal developing are the big 4, Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, and Booth.  Even if you factor in players slipping due to runs at other positions, reaches, and head-scratchers, I fear all 4 may be gone by pick #25.  If we do go CB round 1, then Beane may have no choice but to trade up to have to go get our guy, which I'm totally okay with.  If he stays put my head says we go WR, which I believe a very attractive option will still be available to us (Williams).

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Interesting points Rochester Fan.  I think the Bills do not value lockdown corners as much as some teams do.  But regardless of where we get one, I think a 3rd boundary corner with Athleticism would be helpful for this year, and years to come.  That being said, if the Bills really want to improve their defense they need to be better at LB.  Milano is good, but not ultra special.  Edmunds is our weak link on the defense.  I dare say that Dane Jackson has a potentially higher ceiling at his position then Edmunds has at LB.  He has been playing for 4 years, and still has below average instincts for the position.  The Bills would do well to trade Edmunds if they can, and draft his replacement in the first 2-3 rounds.  Mediocrity is the best you are going to get from Tremaine Edmunds.  Anyone who disagrees is not watching him and the Bills defense closely.  I like Dane Jackson.  He seems to have good if not great athleticism.  He could become a solid starter for us.  But injuries happen.  I think if we can trade Edmunds and (throw in Moss for that matter) for decent picks, we can draft CB, LB, WR and RB in the first 3 rounds, and the draft would be a success.   

My disdain for Edmunds is well documented but I don't understand the enthusiasm for Jackson? What has he really done to warrant a positive or negative opinion of him. At best he is an unknown. He couldn't beat out Wallace. I dont recall any great plays after he went in for White but I don't recall thinking he was playing terribly either.

If he was the fourth corner with White, a rookie first round pick, and Haden I'd be happy.

56 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Kinda have to take a CB first. I would love a WR tho. But CB falls off so bad after the first 4 guys.

I don’t believe that at all Tariq Woolen finished with a perfect RAS score and great senior bowl. I love Jalen Pitre  straight playmaker. Kalon Barnes legit 4.2 speed we could use him against Miami. Lastly I don’t think booth is a 1 round lock he has injury concerns. He could go as late as the middle of the second.

14 hours ago, Locomark said:

I have run 100 mocks on at least 5 different sites and there won’t be a starting CB2 available if you wait beyond early round 2. So if they don’t pick it in Round 1, Bills must use assets to move way up in Round 2. 85% of the top 32 CBs in the league are round 1 draftees, so the whole narrative that we can draft some guy in later rounds and McD them into a really good corner is not supported by data. Picking BPA is what you do when you are building a good roster or depth. When you have a glaring need to win a Super Bowl, you fill that need at all costs, even if it means you have 4 guys rated better. 

Not sure where you came up with the 85% stat.

I looked at the current CB depth charts around the league, and that number should be around 25-30% (depending on if you count nickel guys as starters).   Many teams still find starting corners into the 2nd, and sometimes the 3rd Round, depending on how deep a particular class is.  It's definitely pretty sketchy after that point.

I'll agree on the mock draft point.  I've also gone through multiple, and have NEVER seen the consensus Top 4 guys (Derek Stingley, Sauce Gardner, Andrew Booth, Trent McDuffie) make it to our pick.  Most of the time we are looking at Kair Elam/Roger McDuffie or going with another position.  And most of the time, the BPA at #25 is a wide receiver.

Until April 28 comes and goes, I truly believe that Brandon Beane will sign a veteran CB who can give us the ability to go BPA.

Reaching for need is always a mistake.  Moving away from the BPA strategy is one of the reasons most teams only contend for 2-3 seasons before falling off. 

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No. It’s not.

Yes it is.  You can spin it any way you want but Beane and just about every other teams drafts for need.  

White, Allen, Edmunds, Knox, Rousseau, Ford, Oliver and to some degree Bass and Moss were all need picks. In every case there was an open roster spot to fill for each of them.

I think in the middle rounds you may have an argument.  Davis, Singletary, and Brown were all solid picks that added depth but there was not an obvious need addressed.

• Agree 2

I truly feel that of the Bills stay at 25, which they probably will, the’ll ask themselves who they can’t turn down at that spot.  I honestly think it may be a surprise and not a corner first depending on who’s available . 

They can easily get 2 very good corners after the first round pick.  Look where Tre’ was drafted and how the many corners chosen have panned out.  It’s not a sure thing call.  Not sure they draft a CB with the 25th spot if their premier choices are off the board. 

18 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

I was interested to know if anyone has a position preferance year to year (Need for Franchise QB not included)? Mine was never draft or WR or DB in the first round because those positions in the 90' and probably up to the early 2000's where positions that took time to develope.

We spent high picks to develope player who became amazing by thier 4th year and we couldn't afford that luxery.

Just wondering if any of you felt the same way, these positions are way more pro ready TODAY and you spend a day 1 pick to get results during most of the rookie contract?

Remember all those soon to be probowl WR and Corners that left the year of thier prime? To me I saw the meat head O-line & D-line guys were the "stick around type" some were really hard to get rid of lol. The Diva WR and Corners were off getting paid. (Not that is anything wrong with that).

All that being said, is a 1st round corner a good idea? Starting to think so, interested in other ideas

It’s a passing league. After you get the QB, you need the WR, and the CB to contain the WR. Then you need the Edge rusher to get after the QB, and the LT to stymie the edge rusher. I have just named the five highest paid positions on the Bills roster. Better to get them “cheap” for 4-5 years in the draft than go out and pay thru the nose for FA’s. 

Tre White was a fine pick in the first. Quality WR’s often contribute immediately. Get the most important positions filled with the best (and cheapest) players you can get. 

12 hours ago, Greg S said:

It is our biggest need. Tre isn't supposed to come back until mid season. When he does it will take time to get back up to the level we are used to seeing from him. He hasn't played since last Thanksgiving. No training camp, no preseason, and missing the first couple of months of the season. Right now Dane Jackson is our #1 CB. No disrespect to Dane but he can't be our #1. CB is a need and I think that is where the Bills will go in Rd 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Beane tries to move up if there is a player he really wants and doesn't think he will be there at 25.

All time frames I've seen are between late training camp, and 4 games in. I'm not the type to rush him back, but we're a dangerous team without. If we think we can go 3-1 or even 2-2, I'm not worried about him being back right away.

I still want to snag the best CB we can, but I think this means we don't have to be wreckless taking a need over a few BPA guys we have rated much higher

We need corners so bad we probably should take 2 in the first four rounds.  Thats how bare our cupboard is at CB right now.  If we dont take one in the first, then I its practically 100% we take one in the 2nd.  And if we shockingly pass on a CB again, I bet we take 2 in a row in 3rd and 4th.

Beane does love taking the BPA, so when we take one I am sure has a lot to do with how the draft falls too.  But I think the most likely pick in the first is a CB for obvious reasons.  And I do expect at least 2 taken in the draft.

Now if we sign someone or trade for someone ahead of the draft, that would obviously change things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.