Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

2 hours ago, Governor said:

Out of all the silly things fans say that are supposed “givens” ,the one I actually believe is that MCD can do more with less at the CB position due to scheme, coaching, etc.

I’d go WR then CB.

I do believe that McD (and Frazier) can help a CB succeed with scheme & coaching.   But I don't think scheme & coaching are everything.  The CB has to have natural talent to succeed.  And since it's a passing league, I'd personally like to see upgrade the CB position.  More than the WR position.  CB is our biggest weak spot.

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

I don’t think they could pass on Booth at #25. Gordon is a dark horse.

I like Taylor-Britt in R2-3.

There’s gotta be a CB in the first two days. Probably also a RB and/or surprise LB/S.

Gordon might be the best coverage corner in the draft. His 4.5 seems to have dropped his draft stock. But he looks like a guy who plays faster than his 40 time. If he had lowered his combine run by .1 sec bc he had a better track start, he probably would be considered a late 1st rounder.

I like Taylor-Britt in the 3rd also, but he may go earlier in the round. 

So do you take an "early 2nd" round player late in the first or a 3rd round player in the 2nd? When it's the only position of need you are searching for a starting caliber player?

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I do believe that McD (and Frazier) can help a CB succeed with scheme & coaching.   But I don't think scheme & coaching are everything.  The CB has to have natural talent to succeed.  And since it's a passing league, I'd personally like to see upgrade the CB position.  More than the WR position.  CB is our biggest weak spot.

Immediate need yes but long term it's debatable as we have long term questions in terms of slot WR and possibly on the outside opposite Diggs, as yes Gabe played great against KC and has shown he can be at times a good #2 but we don't know for sure. Toss in Crowder is only here for a year and we still don't have a guy to handle kick returns that has good hands etc. In this NFL you have to be constantly looking down the road a year or two see when we took Rouseau and Basham, it was in part to replace Hughes and Addison as well as help us last season. Next year we could be looking to replace Crowder or having someone to pair with Davis like we did last year with Sanders.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Havent heard woolen mentioned in this thread yet.  Just a couple notes.  I think he is the best athlete at the position this year (RAS has him best ever, though no agility scoring).  He has only played the position for 2 years.  Marino says hes very hungry when hes talked to him at combine and on Draft dudes.

So hes a player with traits, went to senior bowl, new to position so tons of upside, fits the prototype at the position for Bills, and wants to be coached up (something we say McD is good at).  Its a "reach" but only cause he doesnt quite know how to play the position yet.  If you have confidence he can learn I think he could have a first round grade.  Much of this sounds like Rousseau and I think theres a lot of the signs to say we would be interested at 25.

when you click on that it says his score is 9.7.  Plus his agility was "poor" and so was his strength (bench).

9 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

2 Things that I think are very important.

1) Your statement Tre will not come back until mid season - where is that coming from.  Sal and the other reporters covering the Bills on a regular basis all say McDermott and Beane have said that he is progressing ahead of schedule.  Sal has repeatedly said that the expectations are he is ready for the first game - although a set back could change that.  I have seen nothing but fans speculating on him missing 1/2 a season.

2) You do realize that Dane was our #1 CB for every game after Thanksgiving right and we still ended up with the top passing defense in the NFL.  Dane slid into Tre’s role for the most part allowing Levi to remain in his role and Levi was still the bigger problem.

Beane may move up, he may not.  They may think that Dane in that role along with a veteran and Tre coming back is more than enough.  They may think that Tre will be ready Game 1 and that Dane and Cam can fill the roles with help from Johnson and Neal.

I think (and everything I have heard from the beat reporters) are the Bills feel they are better at DB than the fans and that there is room for improvement, but that is not the only spot and they might fill with later picks as has been their norm.

I didn't realize Tre was ahead of schedule. Let me first say I am not Doctor so my opinion on this means nothing but the injury Tre suffered was thought it would take a year to recover. I was just going off of that. I am glad Tre is ahead of schedule. Even if he is ready by week 1 it will probably still take him time to get up to the level of play we expect from him since he last played on Thanksgiving. I don't put much into the Bills #1 ranking on defense. Everybody knows they padded their stats against weak offenses and weak QB's When the played against good teams(Titans, Colts, Bucs, Chiefs) and good QB's what happened. Still think CB is the biggest need. I don't know how the board will fall as their are usually surprises on draft night but I expect the Bills to take a CB in Rd 1.

This may be the most comfortable I've been with a draft. Other than the glaring hole at CB, just about every other pick allows the Bills to provide added depth.  Personally, I believe the Bills will have a veteran CB on the roster by draft day, which could provide further flexibility. If the Bills took three CBs, three OL, and the punter Araiza in the 3rd, I think I'd be perfectly fine. 

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

What are you planning to give up for this - Holy Cow.  Sauce is going top 10 and most likely top 5 - so are you giving up the next couple 1st 2023/and 2024.  All of our picks in this draft and a 1 next year don’t get us high enough to get to 5.

There is almost no way to move up and get Sauce and still have a 2nd round pick to grab Watson.

I love the idea of Gardner, but I don’t care how aggressive your GM is moving from 25 to 5 is reckless and will hurt you badly for years to come.  Rather draft Booth in the 20’s and have ammo to draft several other good players to offset the price we are paying now.

You'll get no argument out of me.  I posted the same sentiment in another thread yesterday, because an article in the Syracuse Post Standard had a mock draft that had us trading up with the Giants for their 1st rounder at #7, and had us only giving up our 1st this year, our 3rd this year, and next year's 1st and 5th rounders.  In my opinion that trade seemed too light.  To jump 18 spots I believe it would take much more than a swap of 1sts, our 3rd, and a 1st and 5th next year....if the Giants made that trade I imagine they'd purchase one London as well..

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

As much as I prefer WR at 25, if Booth is there, I wouldn't hate it.  The guy has some elite traits. 

Outside of Booth, give me a WR or OL.  

Would be pretty awesome if Booth is there at 25, and it’s definitely possible. I expect we’ll wait on WR, similar to when the Bills waited on Gabriel Davis. Lots of good WR later in the draft and I feel like it makes sense to grab CB early. 

2 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

BPA is very minunderstood

BPA is Very open to interpretation CLEARLY or 17 would have never lasted to our pick #7 right? tck. Its a gamble any way you wanna stack it people. We wish it was an exact science lol

m

I'm fine with taking a corner in round 1, but it will depend on how the first round falls.  The best ones will be gone.  Derek Stingley has the athleticism and skill  set, though he's had injury issues and hasn't been as productive recently.  Sauce Gardner is probably the first corner off the board.  Then there's a second tier that includes Andrew Booth Trent McDuffie and Kaiir Elam In all likelihood a couple of them will be gone.  It's possible one of them will still be on the board.  I'd be comfortable with any of the three.  If all three are gone, I don't think the next tier represents good value at #25.  Roger McCreary and Kyler Gordon are a couple names here.  They are good corners, but I think they are second round values.  I don't want Buffalo picking one from that group at #25.  I would not object to trading out of the first round at that point and taking one in the top 10 of round 2.  Otherwise, they should look for BPA at a position where they don't have a lot of need and try to get a CB in round 2 or 3.

20 minutes ago, muppy said:

BPA is Very open to interpretation CLEARLY or 17 would have never lasted to our pick #7 right? tck. Its a gamble any way you wanna stack it people. We wish it was an exact science lol

m

And generally what people mean are BPA at a premium position of need.  We want a good player at an expensive position that can be worked into the lineup quickly.

That eliminates QB for instance (please reference Green Bays debacle for not adhering to this), and this year, for us, DL (for a change).  That's why most people talk about the CBs and WRs (and IOL but in the second or third).  Right now spots are kept open for Wallace's old CB spot and Sanders/Gabe WR spot (the 3rd outside WR which hasn't been filled).

• Thank you (+1) 1

If Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie and Booth are all already taken, I think you go another avenue with 25.  If one of them is available, It's likely  a perfect fit of BPA and position of need. 

If the Bills go WR/OL/LB in the first, I expect them to move up and take  a shot at McCreary or Elam, Gordon or take a chance Woolen at 57.

Edited by DasNootz

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

1) Your statement Tre will not come back until mid season - where is that coming from.  Sal and the other reporters covering the Bills on a regular basis all say McDermott and Beane have said that he is progressing ahead of schedule.  Sal has repeatedly said that the expectations are he is ready for the first game - although a set back could change that.  I have seen nothing but fans speculating on him missing 1/2 a season.

2) You do realize that Dane was our #1 CB for every game after Thanksgiving right and we still ended up with the top passing defense in the NFL.  Dane slid into Tre’s role for the most part allowing Levi to remain in his role and Levi was still the bigger problem.

Beane may move up, he may not.  They may think that Dane in that role along with a veteran and Tre coming back is more than enough.  They may think that Tre will be ready Game 1 and that Dane and Cam can fill the roles with help from Johnson and Neal.

I think (and everything I have heard from the beat reporters) are the Bills feel they are better at DB than the fans and that there is room for improvement, but that is not the only spot and they might fill with later picks as has been their norm.

I agree mid season is a bit exaggerated, but I wouldnt be surprised if he started on the PUP.  Thats 6 games right there.  He may be ahead of schedule but that means to me that hes trending towards a nine month recovery (9-12 months typicall).  That means hes available in Sept.  I would rather be cautious and put him on the PUP to start the season as end of the season is more important.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

when you click on that it says his score is 9.7.  Plus his agility was "poor" and so was his strength (bench).

Appreciate that thank you.  I would still say 9.7 is very high.  Strength is not in the prototype for Bills at the position so not worried about that (particularly with his arm length).  Looking at some of the McD/Beane picks at CB agility doesnt seem to particularly critical.  Tre, Josh Norman, James Bradberry, and Daryl Worley are all okay or poor at agility.  Again really appreciate you showing me the other scores!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Interesting points Rochester Fan.  I think the Bills do not value lockdown corners as much as some teams do.  But regardless of where we get one, I think a 3rd boundary corner with Athleticism would be helpful for this year, and years to come.  That being said, if the Bills really want to improve their defense they need to be better at LB.  Milano is good, but not ultra special.  Edmunds is our weak link on the defense.  I dare say that Dane Jackson has a potentially higher ceiling at his position then Edmunds has at LB.  He has been playing for 4 years, and still has below average instincts for the position.  The Bills would do well to trade Edmunds if they can, and draft his replacement in the first 2-3 rounds.  Mediocrity is the best you are going to get from Tremaine Edmunds.  Anyone who disagrees is not watching him and the Bills defense closely.  I like Dane Jackson.  He seems to have good if not great athleticism.  He could become a solid starter for us.  But injuries happen.  I think if we can trade Edmunds and (throw in Moss for that matter) for decent picks, we can draft CB, LB, WR and RB in the first 3 rounds, and the draft would be a success.   

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.