Jordan Poyer changes agents

Buffalo_Stampede

30 minutes ago, wppete said:

I would t be surprised if Poyer is the vet that gets traded during the draft. 

If he's threatening to hold out without a new contract before the season starts than absolutely it could happen.

But the smart move is simply tell him he's free to walk next year and get a big deal elsewhere and man up during a contract  year. Because you lose Poyer then all of a sudden this secondary looks like a potential liability on paper with Hyde the only sure thing to start the season. (This is assuming of course we don't sign another veteran DB, would replace Poyer with a rookie and White isnt ready to go or 100% to start the year).

Edited by FilthyBeast
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

So I swore I would never be "that guy" but I heard that he has cancelled his appearance today for his charity and wont be doing anymore appearances for the time being 

In Buffalo? 

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Correct.

Could totally be business related until he meets with his new agent to go over strategy

A lot of guys seem to employ separate agencies to coordinate their personal appearances/brand building/charity work vs. the sports agent who negotiates their contract,  but IDK, maybe Rosenhaus says "you do it all through me" or at least "I represent you, we sit down and review all your work"

His wife tweeted something about a barefoot rainforest walk outside cell service yesterday, so could it just be a confliction between a more recently planned vacation and an earlier planned charity event?

8 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

So I swore I would never be "that guy" but I heard that he has cancelled his appearance today for his charity and wont be doing anymore appearances for the time being 

Good for him but doubt Beane is going to cave in if he's not in the future plans beyond 2022 anyway.

You can't make everyone happy and he's under contract for one more year with this team with no leverage other than sitting out during off season workouts and training camp.

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Also under different coaching and scheme he may morph into a different player.  He just doesn't seem to be a perfect fit in current role.  Hopefully he is just a late bloomer and the light goes on.  If they trade him or not I'm confident they can keep the defense playing at sufficient level to not be the cause of too many losses.  That's the true benefit of having 17.   It takes an awful lot to negate what Josh can do.

He would be better as outside LB or as inside LB in a true 3-4.  In both cases he would be better with a more solid DL who occupied OL blockers better.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Correct.

Could totally be business related until he meets with his new agent to go over strategy

I'm pretty plugged in

And I didn't hear anything about a poyer charity appearance that was cancelled in the city 

Not that it didn't happen, but I usually get wind of that stuff

Edited by Buffalo716

Well his value is as high as it's ever going to be. Package him, our first and next year's second to get to 7 with the Giants and just draft Hamilton if he's on the board that late. I'm a Poyer fan, but I can't stand people who negotiate in public. Diggs kept quiet and got paid. The only thing bush is doing is turning fans against her husband. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

He just got paid a season ago.  Too bad.  If he would have had an off season, would he have given back his extension money? 

Let him play this season and let him walk.  Draft a first round CB this year.

Next year you will have 1st round CB, New FS, Hyde, and White.  That new FS will be coming into a great situation.

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer is very good. I don't have a problem with him wanting another deal etc.

I do have a problem with the way things are being put out there by his wife. It simply isn't the way you should be doing business.

Something they might need to consider, is that if not for the Bills giving him his shot in the first place, he might still be scuttling around the league, chasing vet minimums.

Also, when complaining about the likes of Diggs and Miller getting paid, it perhaps needs to be mentioned that Miller will be a 1st ballot HOF guy, whenever he becomes eligible, and Diggs will also get some serious consideration, if he continues as he is.

Poyer won't even get close to the HOF, unless he turns in the sort of performance that wins a Superbowl, and gets him more noticed.

While currently, Poyer and Hyde get a lot of love as the possibly best safety tandem in the NFL, the point is that it's as a tandem, rather than being specifically mentioned individually.

IN the grand pecking order of who gets paid in an NFL team, generally speaking, a Safety is pretty low down on the list. Last year, Poyer was something like 13th on the list of highest paid safeties, with Hyde just behind him - and that is towards the end of his deal. Seems to me that that shows that he got decent terms the last time around.

Noticeably, Mathieu was getting about $14million per, but he's been cut, and is yet to sign elsewhere iirc.

If Poyer becomes a headache, then the Bills could just cut him (I'm not too bothered about the cap considerations atm), and where is he going to go to get the sort of money he's on now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It's a given that McFrazier are DB Whisperers and that somehow the the whole of the secondary is greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, someone has to be playing well in that secondary and propping up the others so it's either Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace were covering for the deficiencies of the safeties or visa versa.

The long held belief is that Hyde and Poyer are enabling the Bills CB (sans T White) to play above their talents. The Bills secondary play cannot simply be attributed solely to smoke and mirrors.

Sure it can. Tell me How hard do you think it is for a player to be 15 yards off the Ball. With their eyes looking right at the QB. 

safety is easier to play than 

RB

OG

WLB

and those are all very easy positions. Safety is the easiest position to play on a football field. Now add it into a Cover 3 DB friendly defenses. And You have two players that have been moved on from their other teams making all pros. Hyde is the glue back there I can get same production from any NFL safety next to Hyde. Doesn’t have to have the name Poyer or be paid 12M a year. 

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Well his value is as high as it's ever going to be. Package him, our first and next year's second to get to 7 with the Giants and just draft Hamilton if he's on the board that late. I'm a Poyer fan, but I can't stand people who negotiate in public. Diggs kept quiet and got paid. The only thing bush is doing is turning fans against her husband. 

I would not be happy if we did this

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of really insightful comments here.

The problem I am having is reconciling the following thoughts:

1. We are all-in to win the Super Bowl this year. We would therefore want our All Pro safety on the team.

2. There are a lot of rumours that we want to move up in the draft. However, given the size and number of contracts for Josh, Stefon, Von etc., we are going to need to hit on as many draft picks as possible over the next few years to field a really competitive team. The best chance of doing this is to have as many draft picks as possible. Therefore, we won’t want to give up the necessary draft picks for any move past a couple of places.

3. Therefore, to move up in this year’s draft, Beane might prefer to trade a player who is nearing the end of his contract; especially if the player or player’s wife might be happy to leave for a longer or higher contract.

4. However, 3 undermines 1. unless we can replace that player with as good or better player by moving up in the draft.

I love the NFL. It is the only sport in the whole world where the off-season is as interesting as the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.