Jordan Poyer changes agents

Buffalo_Stampede

Both guys are paid top 15 at their position.   Poyer was a 26 year old backup when the Bills signed him six years ago, and he just signed an extension 2 years ago.   This is the second time in two years his wife has made a stink about money.   Love the player, love the energy, but hate the drama.   Starting to hope its Poyer who is dealt on draft night.  

Guy is acting like his success came 100% from his work.  While that is part of it, his opportunity from the Bills, and his coaches also played a big part in him getting to this point in his career.   Hope the Bills "settle" for someone else.   And in doing so I hope they "settle" on sending this guy to the Panthers or Texans.   Where he can have his money and "settle" for losing every week.

Have no pity for a guy living in a mansion making 10 million dollars a year who cries underpaid.  Really have no pity for a guy who lets his wife do his talking for him.   She wants to go ahead and "stand up" for Micah too?   Doesnt she realize the moment Poyer gets more money its less for Micah?  Give me a break.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Jordan Poyer has been, and will continue to be, a fantastic player.   I hope BBB can find a way to keep him but would not be surprised if he couldn't.    Poyer and Hyde have been elite and it will be sad to see that era pass.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you know this "for sure"?

The short answer is that I don’t see a realistic path forward where Poyer plays out his current contract.  There are several paths forward at this point, but that one will become too ugly if it’s forced.

Some context for that:

- Poyer fired his agent because he did not get a deal done that was acceptable to him.  That points to Poyer’s resolve in getting a deal done. It also tells me that getting a new long term deal done will be very difficult because the sides are pretty far apart. 

- Poyer hired Rosenhaus.  I don’t think I need to go into detail about what that means, but he’s an agent that has gone to great lengths to get his clients higher end deals.  Occasionally that’s been to their detriment, but usually he’s been successful in that. 
- His wife.  She’s been quiet up until recently, but it doesn’t look like that has lasted.  She can add distraction in a major way. 
- He plays safety.  Poyer has been an outstanding player for the Bills.  But he’s a safety, not a franchise QB or a stud WR or a shut down CB or a stud Edge player.  Few safeties would be worth a protracted dispute and distraction to a SB contending team. 
- Timing.  The draft is a few weeks away so there is time to move him if needed.  There also time to adjust our draft priorities.  There are just a few worthwhile FA safeties left, but we could still get a starter there. 

There are also options beyond coming to an agreement on a LTD or trading him.  Another possibility is giving him a nice bump for the season, adding some void years and a no tag clause.  He’d get paid more for this season and could get his deal next.  But this is already bleeding out into the public, which is not good.  The Bills can’t reward that either unless they want to see more of it.  This FO is too savvy to allow Poyer to become a distraction. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The short answer is that I don’t see a realistic path forward where Poyer plays out his current contract.  There are several paths forward at this point, but that one will become too ugly if it’s forced.

Some context for that:

- Poyer fired his agent because he did not get a deal done that was acceptable to him.  That points to Poyer’s resolve in getting a deal done. It also tells me that getting a new long term deal done will be very difficult because the sides are pretty far apart. 

- Poyer hired Rosenhaus.  I don’t think I need to go into detail about what that means, but he’s an agent that has gone to great lengths to get his clients higher end deals.  Occasionally that’s been to their detriment, but usually he’s been successful in that. 
- His wife.  She’s been quiet up until recently, but it doesn’t look like that has lasted.  She can add distraction in a major way. 
- He plays safety.  Poyer has been an outstanding player for the Bills.  But he’s a safety, not a franchise QB or a stud WR or a shut down CB or a stud Edge player.  Few safeties would be worth a protracted dispute and distraction to a SB contending team. 
- Timing.  The draft is a few weeks away so there is time to move him if needed.  There also time to adjust our draft priorities.  There are just a few worthwhile FA safeties left, but we could still get a starter there. 

There are also options beyond coming to an agreement on a LTD or trading him.  Another possibility is giving him a nice bump for the season, adding some void years and a no tag clause.  He’d get paid more for this season and could get his deal next.  But this is already bleeding out into the public, which is not good.  The Bills can’t reward that either unless they want to see more of it.  This FO is too savvy to allow Poyer to become a distraction. 

When reading comments on the Diggs signing I was thinking about how every big extension the Bills sign lately seems to generate the same comment "a fair deal."  Whether it's Snowman, Allen, Diggs while these are not "team friendly" in the way that Brady would sign team friendly deals they are "team realistic."  They are in the market value but probably less than the player could get in the open market.  It takes cooperation and realism on the part of players/agents and on the GM.  Players don't have an inflated sense of their own value (a la Le'veon Bell) and the team isn't trying to low ball the player.  However, I keep waiting for this run to end...for a player who "needs to be respected" by being paid the most at his position for example.  Wondering if it will be Poyer or Edmonds as they seem like likely candidates particularly based on Poyer's wife's posts.

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer and his entitled other will no longer be Bills in 2023 or before.

13 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

interesting timing.  one things for sure, we can’t keep paying our back 7 on defense this kind of money.  If the choice is paying Edmunds or Poyer, I fear McBeane picks Edmunds because he’s younger and faster.  

And that would b the RIGHT choice.

Oliver, Edmunds SHOULD get extensions before Poyer in a very friendly Defense for DBs and Safeties

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Poyer and his entitled other will no longer be Bills in 2023 or before.

And that would b the RIGHT choice.

Oliver, Edmunds SHOULD get extensions before Poyer in a very friendly Defense for DBs and Safeties

Don't Poyer and Hyde help cover up our deficiencies at corner though? Especially with White out last year? I think we'd better hit on either another CB or a S before letting him go.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is his last year.  I don't see how they give him a new contract.

from poyers perspective, this is probably the last year for him to get a decent multi-year deal.  He’s coming off his best year but is 31.  Unfortunately for him, NFL doesn’t pay for past performance.  In 2023, a 32 year old safety ain’t gonna be in demand.  I don’t blame him for wanting a new deal now, but that could very well mean that Bills gotta part ways.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Don't Poyer and Hyde help cover up our deficiencies at corner though? Especially with White out last year? I think we'd better hit on either another CB or a S before letting him go.

And all safeties can. Fact remains Safety is probably the easiest position to play in football. And then add McD defense is very Safety and CB friendly. 

Hyde is the more important one. And I can 90# guarantee there will be little to no drop replacing Poyer with Johnson or Hamlin going into 2022 season. 

when I get back to the house I will post the contracts that need to be done first over Poyer. 

other thing not going well for Poyer and the “leverage”. Safety is still one of those positions that have a manageable franchise Tag number. 

essentially if Bills wanted they have him on contract for next two years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s turning 31 in November and making $10 mil.  Maybe he can get a two year deal at the end of this year.  If he holds out it will go bad for him.  His wife is making real mistakes getting in the media.

I agree that she needs to stay out of it and she really needs to keep Micah Hyde out of it, I would be pissed if I were him. She did delete that tweet.

she and Jordan both say they love the Bills but both seem to not like the politics of NYS and have been pretty open about that. I don’t know if it impacts whether he wants to stay or tries to get out but Beane indicated it played a factor in Beasely asking to be traded. And this is not a political post. Just saying what I’ve observed. 

Lets look at next years UFA Safety class, some of the names.  Where would you rank Poyer

Jessie Bates III (26) 

Minkah Fitzpatrick (26)

Derwin James (26)

Jabrill Peppers (27)

Jordan Poyer (31)

Out of those 5. I think he would end up being ranked right about there.  So Rachael Can take that 1st team All Pro leverage and hang out by her million dollar homes pool in Miami.  

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

He’s turning 31 in November and making $10 mil.  Maybe he can get a two year deal at the end of this year.  If he holds out it will go bad for him.  His wife is making real mistakes getting in the media.

Definitely not a good look to have your wife spouting off about the contract you signed, but it’s an understandable position for Poyer to take.  Given his age, his market value in 2023 will be significantly lower than it would’ve been if he were a free agent this year.  Beane didn’t put a gun to his head 2 years ago when Poyer signed the extension.  I’m sure Beane doesn’t wanna make a habit of giving every vet a new deal when he’s unhappy with the contract he signed, but Poyer is a core guy and leader.  I think Beane makes an exception here and makes sure one of his heart and soul guys is happy.  Gives him another 2 year extension.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just extend Oliver and let both walk…. The days of relying on this defense to be top notch are over. Start stacking the offense and watch Josh and co put up historic numbers.

I fully agree.  That is what I would do.  I am not touching Poyers contract.  He plays this year and then moves on or Traded, Same with Edmunds (and I like Edmunds) but it comes down to resource Management.  I am not going to have 2 10M plus LBers and 2 10M plus Safeties.

The positions in todays NFL that should be paid are.

QB

LT

RT

WR

DE

CB

DE

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.