Jordan Poyer changes agents

Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Haven't read this whole thread admittedly, but I'm wondering what you all think about Damar Hamlin, in case this whole Poyer contract issue does not work out well for the Bills.

I think Jaquan Johnson is the guy at this point.

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Bad look for Poyer. Wonder what his value is on the trade market. We have young guys to pay like Big ED and Tremaine. Poyer is replaceable especially with the Safetly class in this draft. 

Why? Because he didn’t show up for VOLUNTARY stuff? Neither did Diggs that I’m aware of. It doesn’t matter. He’s not easily replaceable. 1st Team All Pro that is joined at the hip with your other Safety. 

• Vomit 1

I don't know how much money/term he wants, but if it is high I'm good with letting him walk.  Is he a good player? A good leader? Yes to both. But when you are a team now competing for Super Bowls with a top tier QB, I really think you have to identify the 6-8 core pieces and just fill in around them. To me he is just outside that important 'core' group you pay big $$ too, especially at his age.  When you are up against the cap, there will be tough choices to be made EVERY year going forward.  I don't think giving a 30+ year old safety top dollar would be a good choice.

• Agree 1

There was nothing in Beane’s comments that indicate to me that he has any intention of extending Poyer.  I suspect the plan was to move on after this year anyway.  Beane does not seem the type to be held hostage by a player and his agent.  He may make some completely team friendly, face saving offer, but Poyer is not getting top of the market money from the Bills.   Hopefully they can find a way to avoid this becoming a major distraction, but I have my doubts with Rosenhaus and Poyer’s wife involved.  I would hold the line personally and make him play out the contract he whined for two years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why? Because he didn’t show up for VOLUNTARY stuff? Neither did Diggs that I’m aware of. It doesn’t matter. He’s not easily replaceable. 1st Team All Pro that is joined at the hip with your other Safety. 

He is playing at a fairly high level but on the wrong side of 30, you don't want to overpay for what he's DONE vs. what he can still DO.  To me that includes his ability at his age to stay healthy, play every game, and play every game at a high level commensurate to his paycheque amount.

Beane knows what he's doing saying that "right now he's focused on the draft" and that "he wants Poyer back".  I think both statements are telling.  He wants Poyer back "at the right dollar amount", but the draft might offer some leverage with Poyer's deal.

This is not a bad look for Poyer at all.  It's voluntary practices and he is in the heat of negotiations.  He has laid out his heart and soul to the team and I guarantee you that no one inside that locker room views him skipping the practices with any sort of contempt at all.

it is part of the business, he is trying to get his last real chance at a difference making pay check for the rest of his life.

If they can structure a deal that looks really high on the top line similar to Harrison with only reasonable guarantees of around $22 Millionish or so in the first two years, then the deal may be doable for Beane and the Bills.

I hope he finishes his career with the us because without doubt he has been an integral part of the culture building and to the good defense the Bils have.

• Like (+1) 3

It's a bit ominous that in Beane's response to a question about Poyer at OTAs he said "I can't pay everyone." Compare that to his language about Diggs' contract before his extension - "we'll visit it when the timing is right." Read between the lines. We're meeting a ton of safeties pre-draft and Beane said flat out he can't pay everyone. I think Poyer is done here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's a bit ominous that in Beane's response to a question about Poyer at OTAs he said "I can't pay everyone." Compare that to his language about Diggs' contract before his extension - "we'll visit it when the timing is right." Read between the lines. We're meeting a ton of safeties pre-draft and Beane said flat out he can't pay everyone. I think Poyer is done here.

Yup, I think he is as good as gone unfortunately. They need to start drafting replacements at rookie pay scales as the money just can't can't for Poyer. Our defense should still be fine and I would keep loading up the offense during the draft. 

16 hours ago, wppete said:

Bad look for Poyer. Wonder what his value is on the trade market. We have young guys to pay like Big ED and Tremaine. Poyer is replaceable especially with the Safetly class in this draft. 

Replacing an All-Pro is never easy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

There was more to it and I didn't hear it as quite so stark or negative. 

Edit: from a Sal C article:

“I want Jordan here,” Beane said of the keeping the safety in Buffalo. “I’m not looking for anything different than that. It's just business gets in the way sometimes, and I respect that. I'm not upset or anything. You want everybody to be happy and thrilled with their contract.”

Beane acknowledged that it’s hard to pay and keep everyone, and that agents of other players have also inquired about extensions.

“I mean, it's hard. There's other guys here that want to be paid to. I know that one is out in public, but that's not the only agent of a player this offseason that's on the Bills that's [saying], 'What about my guy? What are you thinking? Is there a plan now? Is there a plan after the draft? Is there a plan at all?'" Beane said. "We've had those conversations, but that happens every year. Some do work their way into the media for whatever reason, whether it's the player not showing, whether it's the agent discussing it. But I want to pay them all, the ones that deserve it and have earned it. And there's other guys here that I feel have earned it, as well, and want to do it.

"There's guys that have left here since I've been here that I wanted to pay, or our organization wanted to pay. But you can't pay them all, and that's hard, because I'm a people person. I love these guys and love them to death. But I also have a job to do, and I have rules to follow, from a cap standpoint and cash. So unfortunately, you have to say goodbye to some, and again, there's more than just Jordan, that would be looking to get an extension. Right now, we're focused on the draft."

So I think it's a good observation that as a 31 yr old safety, even an all-pro 31 yr old safety, Poyer is not in the same category of "must sign" to Beane as Josh Allen, or Diggs, or Tre White, or Von Miller. 

I don't think it follows that he's "done here", but I do think Beane is going to wait for the draft to get serious about contract negotiations, and I think it's possible that in the first discussions, the Bills and Rosenhaus are far enough off that if he stays there, it won't get done.

I also think there's a good chance he won't stay there.  Poyer is a fine player there is no doubt, and has all my respect on the field.  He can Ball, and he's been under-rated much of his career (possibly the drinking had an effect). 

But of the 12 safeties who have signed contracts with higher AAV than Poyer has right now, only 1 was 30 or over when they signed (Harrison Smith, 32).   8 were 25 or under; 2 are 27; 1 is 29.  To me, that implies that Poyer's leverage may be limited.   Being "all-pro Po" this year was great, but does it give him the clout, at his age, to be able to hold out a year and get the big bucks somewhere else?  Maybe, or maybe it means he'll lower his drama-to-talent ratio to the point where he'll limit his market.  If he plays and has a great year, he could get Harrison Smith money in 2023, or he could get injured and have to take a prove-it deal.

So I think after the draft, there's probably going to be some room for compromise.

I think that Rachel Bush probably will lobby for "no compromise" and I think she has strong influence in their relationship, but at the end of the day I don't think she has Poyer's balls in her purse for professional matters, and both of them will see that holding out to the tune of $353k/week may not increase his value in the league, and there may be value in staking a claim to more guaranteed money, now.

Or maybe I'm wrong, dunno

• Like (+1) 2

Sorry to bump this one up but I am wondering what the opinions are on the chances Poyer will be asking more money than the Bills are willing to sign him for, and if SAFETY, along with CORNERBACK are both going to be big questions going into the draft.

I just have this gut feeling that Poyer will be holding out to start this season, and that could add even more of an issue for let's say the first month of the season.

Some have talked about drafting a S/CB hybrid type player.

I'm starting to wonder if we might be seriously considering players like Cine or Brisker (true safeties) in the first if the top Corners are gone.....

Might we be looking at both a corner AND a safety in the top 3 rounds??  Starting to think so.

Edited by Yantha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.