Jordan Poyer changes agents

Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh….”strong safties”……with both Poyer and Hyde listed.  🤣 they are the 13th and 14th highest paid safeties in the league. Period

I’m pretty sure the safety positions are interchangeable in this D. I know they are technically FS and SS but they have similar roles in the scheme, someone can correct me if I’m wrong here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m pretty sure the safety positions are interchangeable in this D. I know they are technically FS and SS but they have similar roles in the scheme, someone can correct me if I’m wrong here. 

Yeah I know.  You are 💯 correct.

My point…..dude was trying to prove a point was they are both in the top 5 highest paid “strong safeties”…..when that’s not how it is seen in the landscape of the nfl and how they are paid.  They are the 13th and 14th highest paid safeties in the league.  They are among the “highest paid” only if you differentiate which safety position…..and that’s only done in situations where people are just making up nonsense.  They aren’t among the highest paid safeties unless you consider 13th and 14th highest paid.  

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

3 years 26M that is where I go.  AAV is 8.6M  That is a good contract for Poyer.  Can make the first 2 years fully guaranteed.  Anything more than that I would move on 

I think that's fair, my original thought was $9-10m per AAV, given cap likely to keep increasing value.

1 problem I see is if we give this to Jordan, then Micah is immediately underpaid (compared to Poyer).  To me, both are worth similar $s, and I haven't done the research to see total value each player has received while in Buffalo, but may factor into decisions.  

On the other hand, I am a big supporter of Hamlin and think he could be ready to step up as a starter by 2023.  Jordan has 2-3 great seasons left though, so my preference would be to keep him and Hyde working together.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:18 AM, Locomark said:

No this is not. Next year we will have to pay Oliver and Knox and Davis and a few others and  we have now kicked a lot of money into that year already so there will be restraint to not give big money to the older players. The gravy train only works for players on an upward trajectory, not at the end of their career. The exception is someone like Von who filled a giant gap for us. A defense doesn’t need to pay any safety big money. Just Look at Tyron. He is still looking for a team and he is the same age as Micah and Jordan.  It’s quite possible 2 years from now both safeties and Milano will all be gone due to their age and salary wants. 

Now you’re saying 2 years from now?  I agree with the safety value argument but I’m just sick of hearing bills fans parrot “we can’t pay everyone” 

Clearly we can. We started the offseason with negative cap space. If we can’t pay an all -pro who can we pay? The cap is going up and Poyer already makes 10 mil against the cap. It will be a modest raise/year and an extension which will create even more cap space this season. Next year we can restructure Allen and others. We can keep every single player that is on this team if we keep pushing cap hits into later years (Not saying everyone deserves an extension). We might not be able to add much more, but do we really need to? Other than draft picks? Hasn’t anyone been paying attention to how the cap works this offseason? Seems like a good chance to finally learn about it with all the signings, extensions and restructures. 

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

My point…..dude was trying to prove a point was they are both in the top 5 highest paid “strong safeties”…..when that’s not how it is seen in the landscape of the nfl and how they are paid.  They are the 13th and 14th highest paid safeties in the league.  They are among the “highest paid” only if you differentiate which safety position…..and that’s only done in situations where people are just making up nonsense.  They aren’t among the highest paid safeties unless you consider 13th and 14th highest paid.  

Yes

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It's certainly not being badly paid, and considering there are only 64 starting safeties in the league, being 13th and 14th can be argued to be amongst the highest paid, especially as there probably isn't too many actual $ from them being in the top 10.

Now, there have been some more sensible noises coming through from Rosenhaus, as regards Poyer wanting to see his career out as a Bill, but for all that he's deserved the money he's got, I'm not so sure he deserves more. A new deal around the same money, seems fair enough to me, as I don't believe he would get that elsewhere in a hurry - even if he hit FA next year.

Imho, there seems to be too much ego involved in wanting to get paid. A new contract is one thing, but the push for that appears to be also for a bunch more money as well, and I don't think it's there.

I also have the feeling that we have one of the classic NFL situations, where if the player pushes for too much, he ends up with next to nothing. Too often , players don't realize that their best market value, is with the team they are at.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Buddo said:

It's certainly not being badly paid, and considering there are only 64 starting safeties in the league, being 13th and 14th can be argued to be amongst the highest paid, especially as there probably isn't too many actual $ from them being in the top 10.

Now, there have been some more sensible noises coming through from Rosenhaus, as regards Poyer wanting to see his career out as a Bill, but for all that he's deserved the money he's got, I'm not so sure he deserves more. A new deal around the same money, seems fair enough to me, as I don't believe he would get that elsewhere in a hurry - even if he hit FA next year.

Imho, there seems to be too much ego involved in wanting to get paid. A new contract is one thing, but the push for that appears to be also for a bunch more money as well, and I don't think it's there.

I also have the feeling that we have one of the classic NFL situations, where if the player pushes for too much, he ends up with next to nothing. Too often , players don't realize that their best market value, is with the team they are at.

All pro players that aren’t paid within the top 10 of their positions have a gripe imo.  

that said, I wouldn’t give Poyer a raise. If he wants more guaranteed money, which would also allow us to work the cap even more, I’d guarantee his 2023.  That locks up the tandem for the next two years.  

His wife is probably in his ear with all these players calling shots.  He made all pro for the first time and that is usually the best time to try and get some more guaranteed cash.  

I think we should try to find something that works, I think Beane will, but my concern with Poyer is he's just now pushing this. Free Agency started a month ago and he's just now switching agents. The Diggs deal has been talked about and expected since during the season, Poyer waits until most teams have already allocated their budgets to try to get a bigger deal? 

Edited by extrahammer

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Give him a 1 year extension with more money up front this year. Thats it. If he doesn't want it then let him go. He gets an extra year and more money. The bills dont have to commit long term and allows them time to draft or develop a safety to replace him. 

Yes...time starts about now about developing a replacement. The safety position can get old real quick.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, you’re pretty much right.  The fact that Poyer and Hyde can interchange safety roles is one of their features

21 minutes ago, Dopey said:

We are drafting a safety this year. Although a great tandem, they are old. Time to groom a replacement. Or two.

I mean, that’s a fairly safe bet considering we’ve drafted a safety 2 of the last 3 years, with a CB sandwiched between

The question is what round?

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, you’re pretty much right.  The fact that Poyer and Hyde can interchange safety roles is one of their features

I mean, that’s a fairly safe bet considering we’ve drafted a safety 2 of the last 3 years, with a CB sandwiched between

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can only dream about Hamilton, but I wouldn't be mad if Daxton Hill or Cline were drafted in the 2nd round. What we do at safety in the draft will tell us a lot about coach's feelings on our previous choices. Are they confident one of them can replace our vet studs?

Edited by Dopey

10 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The way I see it.  Does the Bills win total projections change with Hamlin or Johnson as the other safety over Poyer?  No with will not.  

In the Ryan Bates thread I brought up WAR, Wins Above Replacement. I definitely think Poyer is worth at least one win more than Hamlin or Johnson.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

3 years 26M that is where I go.  AAV is 8.6M  That is a good contract for Poyer.  Can make the first 2 years fully guaranteed.  Anything more than that I would move on 

And why would you pay him that much if he's no better than Hamlin or Johnson? As a GM you're always trying to pay for the "true value" of the player. If Poyer gets 3/26 that means he's a pretty good player.

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Dont care what he has already been paid.  his value is no more than 9M AAV.  I also do not care what Rachel has tweeted, she already said the reality and then deleted that tweet.

I agree that his current contract doesn't dictate his future one but I'm sure the infamous Miss Bush disagrees.

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

In the Ryan Bates thread I brought up WAR, Wins Above Replacement. I definitely think Poyer is worth at least one win more than Hamlin or Johnson.

And why would you pay him that much if he's no better than Hamlin or Johnson? As a GM you're always trying to pay for the "true value" of the player. If Poyer gets 3/26 that means he's a pretty good player.

I agree that his current contract doesn't dictate his future one but I'm sure the infamous Miss Bush disagrees.

If Johnson or Hamlin can play without dropoff or Poyer get more inline essentially getting a paycut. That is a fine contract. I can handle Poyer extended shorter term and under 9M AAV 

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

So is there anything to back this up or just your feeling?

The closest thing to that I have seen quantified - would be Vegas odds with a player injured or out for the season.

In an individual game - a safety missing the game would not really move the line at all.  Other than QB and maybe a real special OT or DE - I am not sure any other position missing the season shifts a teams W/L total by a game.  

I personally think if Poyer was moved and replaced by Johnson and Hamlin would be less than 1 point per game for the player - maybe 14 points on the season. It could result in an additional loss, but I doubt it would dent the overall win total Vegas puts out.  It is just not an impact position.  

I like Poyer and have no issues extending him for the right deal - if it saves us money this year and next, but I also do not think that trading him and getting something or letting him play out the contract is bad.  I like what I have seen out of Hamlin and Johnson and wouldn’t mind seeing more, but with the task at hand - my preference is for Poyer and his family to shut up and win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.