Jordan Poyer changes agents

Buffalo_Stampede

26 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hyde’s contract was restructured weeks ago to free cap space

Right but he didn't take a pay cut.  He got a 5.68 million dollar restructure bonus as they just added three void years (dummie seasons) to the end of his contract.  You add his base salary, workout bonus, plus his incentive bonus and it comes to about 7.7 million. 

Edited by Doc Brown

Poyer is gone at the end of the year folks. Can’t keep the whole gang together and he is the oldest of the 2 safeties. This agent just seals that fate as he will want a $12-15 million / yr deal and that isn’t going to happen. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Motor26 said:

You are speculating an extension based on his Instagram wife tweets. I don’t think that’s how Beane or any decent NFL execute operates. Let him play this contract out and figure it out after the season.

In the past, Beane has negotiated extensions with players who are important to the team before they enter their contract year.  This happened previously with both Poyer and with Hyde.

But, Beane is pretty strong in his views that "we don't discuss negotiations", period.

20 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Poyer is gone at the end of the year folks. Can’t keep the whole gang together and he is the oldest of the 2 safeties. This agent just seals that fate as he will want a $12-15 million / yr deal and that isn’t going to happen. 

Nor should it happen 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Hyde is actually slightly older than Poyer. 

Hyde Dec. 1990

Poyer April 1991

This is just a guess,  but I'm thinking that Poyer and his camp may be looking at the contract Harrison Smith signed with the Vikings last season. 

Smith was 32 when he signed for 4 years, $64M ($26M guaranteed).  He's been to 6 probowls and has 1 first-team all-pro. 

Is he better than Poyer?  🤷‍♂️ 

He is the outlier of the top-paid safeties as the rest were all 25-27 yrs old when they signed (OK, Quandre Diggs 29), but I think it's a safe bet that you're right, and Poyer wants to get paid like he did.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hyde is actually slightly older than Poyer. 

Hyde Dec. 1990

Poyer April 1991

This is just a guess,  but I'm thinking that Poyer and his camp may be looking at the contract Harrison Smith signed with the Vikings last season. 

Smith was 32 when he signed for 4 years, $64M ($26M guaranteed).  He's been to 6 probowls and has 1 first-team all-pro. 

Is he better than Poyer?  🤷‍♂️ 

He is the outlier of the top-paid safeties as the rest were all 25-27 yrs old when they signed (OK, Quandre Diggs 29), but I think it's a safe bet that you're right, and Poyer wants to get paid like he did.

Poyer is a FA after ‘22 and Hyde is signed until ‘24 is why I said Poyer is gone first.  It’s not about his level of play at all. 

10 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Poyer is a FA after ‘22 and Hyde is signed until ‘24 is why I said Poyer is gone first.  It’s not about his level of play at all. 

You said he was the oldest of the two safeties, part of my point is that he's not, actually.

I don't watch the Vikes so I have no idea how Poyer compares to Vikes safety Harrison Smith, that's my point about level of play.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They need to draft one this year or next whether poyer stays or goes given the age of both safeties.  Can’t see it being before the 3rd though, this regime has not drafted a non premium position in the first 2 rounds outside of edmunds and he was drafted to be the QB of the defense. Also depends on what their assessment is for Jaquan Johnson. 

That's an interesting point.  They love Johnson as an STer, but I sort of had the impression that he'd been passed up on the depth chart for Safety by Hamlin, but Johnson did start and play the Houston game for Poyer.

Thing is, Johnson will be a FA next season, this is the last year of his rookie deal (oh, and his agent?  Drew Rosenhaus)

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's an interesting point.  They love Johnson as an STer, but I sort of had the impression that he'd been passed up on the depth chart for Safety by Hamlin, but Johnson did start and play the Houston game for Poyer.

Thing is, Johnson will be a FA next season, this is the last year of his rookie deal (oh, and his agent?  Drew Rosenhaus)

I guarantee they will be drafting a safety this year. The question is how high. Neither of their backups is very athletic. I think their future may include converting Tre in his later years. 

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

this is a myth on the level of “we have no cap space” from a month ago. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You said he was the oldest of the two safeties, part of my point is that he's not, actually.

I don't watch the Vikes so I have no idea how Poyer compares to Vikes safety Harrison Smith, that's my point about level of play.

Either way in 3 years I fully expect both will be gone and Tre will moved to safety  by then. 

8 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

this is a myth on the level of “we have no cap space” from a month ago. 

No this is not. Next year we will have to pay Oliver and Knox and Davis and a few others and  we have now kicked a lot of money into that year already so there will be restraint to not give big money to the older players. The gravy train only works for players on an upward trajectory, not at the end of their career. The exception is someone like Von who filled a giant gap for us. A defense doesn’t need to pay any safety big money. Just Look at Tyron. He is still looking for a team and he is the same age as Micah and Jordan.  It’s quite possible 2 years from now both safeties and Milano will all be gone due to their age and salary wants. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His new agent likely has convinced him he can even if it means holding out 10 games which is his usual strategy.

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Either way in 3 years I fully expect both will be gone and Tre will moved to safety  by then. 

Why are we moving Tre to safety? Maybe it's just me, but I don't see consistent tackling as one of his strong suits. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.