TSW Mock Draft Buffalo Bills Poll - Who should the Bills take at 89? Top 2 remaining ***Poll will close at 10p est

Virgil

Who should the Bills take at 89?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at 89?

• John Metchie III, WR, Alabama (77)
    • Rasheed Walker, OL, Penn St (54)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/2022 at 02:00 AM

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have just noticed that I think Wan'Dale Robinson hasn't gone yet? I get it he is a bit of a gadget guy and he is tiny but I have him graded slightly ahead of Metchie too because his elusiveness with ball in hand gives me something I can hang my hat on as an elite trait. 

So my board would actually be:

1. Robinson;

2. Metchie;

3. Ross;

4. Thornton

I do think that is a realistic sort of board the Bills could face if they leave receiver to this spot. Similar to how I think round 2 is a bit of a dead space for corners I think round 3 is a bit of dead space for receivers. I have lots of guys I'd take in the 1st or 2nd and a lot of guys I'd be comfortable with day 3..... but round 3 I only have those 4 plus Austin and Shakir both of whom have already gone in this mock. 

I picked Shakir for the Bears earlier this round and am curious about your take on him. I always respect your opinion on prospects as you clearly do a lot of studying. Admittedly, I know little past the top prospects as I don't take the time to do much research of my own outside of these mocks. I was deciding between Shakir and Metchie when I made the pick so I'd like to know your opinion of them in comparison to each other. 

FWIW, I agree that I'd rather the Bills draft a WR in Round 1 or 2 as this grouping in Round 3 seems much less appealing.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

If he is as great as they say, I'd be completely fine with taking him in the 4th round.  The 3rd is tough because I expect a Day 1 starter on offense or defense in the first 3 rounds

I agree. But neither Walker or Metchie would be close to starting for this team. I am saying, based on the strength of this draft and the options that are on the board right now, I would really consider the punter. Call me crazy. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Philo said:

I picked Shakir for the Bears earlier this round and am curious about your take on him. I always respect your opinion on prospects as you clearly do a lot of studying. Admittedly, I know little past the top prospects as I don't take the time to do much research of my own outside of these mocks. I was deciding between Shakir and Metchie when I made the pick so I'd like to know your opinion of them in comparison to each other. 

FWIW, I agree that I'd rather the Bills draft a WR in Round 1 or 2 as this grouping in Round 3 seems much less appealing.

I have Metchie graded slightly higher of the two because I think he is a bit more rounded as a receiver, Shakir is a tad gadgety but he is not a little gadget guy at 6ft and he runs well without having that quick twitch. I think he went in the right sort of range. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree. But neither Walker or Metchie would be close to starting for this team. I am saying, based on the strength of this draft and the options that are on the board right now, I would really consider the punter. Call me crazy. 

It’s not crazy.  Stupid is more like it.  No offense.

Taking a punter over a position player in rd 3 just because the position player wouldn’t be starting in year one is……stupid. What if that player were to start in year 2-4?  We’ve punted 41 and 52 times respectively the last 2 seasons.  We’re only getting better imo.

wait til Brown or Dawkins has to miss a few games and we have Tommy Doyle out there starting because we didn’t draft a better swing tackle. 

31.3% touchbacks on pooch punts is 🤮….and most of our punts will be of the pooch variety due to our QBs ability to move the chains. 

3rd rd punter…..with Josh Allen as our QB.  I’d rather not have a punter and go for it on every down than you draft a punter that high. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’s not crazy.  Stupid is more like it.  No offense.

Taking a punter over a position player in rd 3 just because the position player wouldn’t be starting in year one is……stupid. What if that player were to start in year 2-4?  We’ve punted 41 and 52 times respectively the last 2 seasons.  We’re only getting better imo.

wait til Brown or Dawkins has to miss a few games and we have Tommy Doyle out there starting because we didn’t draft a better swing tackle. 

31.3% touchbacks on pooch punts is 🤮….and most of our punts will be of the pooch variety due to our QBs ability to move the chains. 

3rd rd punter…..with Josh Allen as our QB.  I’d rather not have a punter and go for it on every down than you draft a punter that high. 

No offense taken. People have opinions. To me, with the choices available, it makes sense. I get what you are saying, but there is nothing that I am seeing that is telling me Walker is any better than Doyle. What does Metchie really bring to the table that is that much more interesting than the depth guys in house to justify using a third? 

With our offense, and defense, a punter who can flip the field, honestly, could make the team impossible to stop. Teams already have to play catchup with the Bills offense, if they have to go a longer way it makes the team that much more dangerous. 

Let's see what happens, but I think Araiza is going in the third. 

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

No offense taken. People have opinions. To me, with the choices available, it makes sense. I get what you are saying, but there is nothing that I am seeing that is telling me Walker is any better than Doyle. What does Metchie really bring to the table that is that much more interesting than the depth guys in house to justify using a third? 

With our offense, and defense, a punter who can flip the field, honestly, could make the team impossible to stop. Teams already have to play catchup with the Bills offense, if they have to go a longer way it makes the team that much more dangerous. 

Let's see what happens, but I think Araiza is going in the third. 

If the only choices were Walker/Metchie and araiza….then I see what you’re saying if you don’t like Walker or Metchie.  But irl, Beane will have much larger group to choose from and I’m confidant that he would prioritize depth over a punter.  

doyle was an abomination @ OT and he’s currently our backup RT and LT…..our backup OG and center is Greg Mancz….idk anything about him.  Losing Klein is big imo.  Dotson was meh, but capable I suppose.   We have zero depth @ corner.  Safety depth is relatively unknown as Poyer and Hyde never leave the field.  We’d love for Johnson and Hamlin to be good backups, but we don’t know.  Kumerow is currently our 3rd boundary WR behind Davis and Diggs.  Sweeney isn’t an NFL TE.  

We drafted Spencer Brown in rd 3 last year.  Now a starter.  Dawson Knox in rd 3, gabe in rd 4, H phillips rd 3, Taron rd 4.  All starters.  These are the picks that we really want to hit on to keep this domination train rolling.  Replacing by higher priced starters with emerging mid rd picks.  It’s worked well for us to this point and I hope Beane doesn’t stray for a punter.  

Araiza kicks 1/3 of his pooches into the end zone.  With our O and our D, we aren’t going to be punting from very many bad spots imo.  I don’t think he should be on anyones board in rd 3.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

With our offense, and defense, a punter who can flip the field, honestly, could make the team impossible to stop.

I think you may have paralysis by late stage draft over-analysis here.......

what-do-you-want-for-christmas-ralphie.g

.......have a process and trust it.   Like you do wrt not drafting interior OL early(that's a good one, IMO).

When you start looking at the draft like players in late round 3 are really going to tip the scales in the upcoming season.......it's easy to rationalize a lot of decisions that will look laughable in hindsight.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If the only choices were Walker/Metchie and araiza….then I see what you’re saying if you don’t like Walker or Metchie.  But irl, Beane will have much larger group to choose from and I’m confidant that he would prioritize depth over a punter.  

doyle was an abomination @ OT and he’s currently our backup RT and LT…..our backup OG and center is Greg Mancz….idk anything about him.  Losing Klein is big imo.  Dotson was meh, but capable I suppose.   We have zero depth @ corner.  Safety depth is relatively unknown as Poyer and Hyde never leave the field.  We’d love for Johnson and Hamlin to be good backups, but we don’t know.  Kumerow is currently our 3rd boundary WR behind Davis and Diggs.  Sweeney isn’t an NFL TE.  

We drafted Spencer Brown in rd 3 last year.  Now a starter.  Dawson Knox in rd 3, gabe in rd 4, H phillips rd 3, Taron rd 4.  All starters.  These are the picks that we really want to hit on to keep this domination train rolling.  Replacing by higher priced starters with emerging mid rd picks.  It’s worked well for us to this point and I hope Beane doesn’t stray for a punter.  

Araiza kicks 1/3 of his pooches into the end zone.  With our O and our D, we aren’t going to be punting from very many bad spots imo.  I don’t think he should be on anyones board in rd 3.   

I appreciate the take for sure. I just don't love this draft very much. Feels very meh to me, and as we go through the mock draft it feels even more meh. I do think that will add cheap veteran depth at those positions. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I appreciate the take for sure. I just don't love this draft very much. Feels very meh to me, and as we go through the mock draft it feels even more meh. I do think that will add cheap veteran depth at those positions. 

I hear ya.  I don’t love the draft either.  And you know I wasn’t calling you stupid with my original post.  I just think taking a punter in the third is a terrible idea for every team.

regarding cheap depth, I agree. We’ll add some.  But none of them have the potential to become starters and allow us to move on from players making lots of cash.  That’s the real value in these rounds imo.  The depth is important, for sure….but what’s so much more important is drafting players that will be solid starters for 3-4 years while making 1M.  We’ve had good success in that regard 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you may have paralysis by late stage draft over-analysis here.......

what-do-you-want-for-christmas-ralphie.g

.......have a process and trust it.   Like you do wrt not drafting interior OL early(that's a good one, IMO).

When you start looking at the draft like players in late round 3 are really going to tip the scales in the upcoming season.......it's easy to rationalize a lot of decisions that will look laughable in hindsight.    

Oh yeah there is definitely much too much space in my brain being spent on draft stuff. There is some truth to that for sure. 

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I don’t love the draft either.  And you know I wasn’t calling you stupid with my original post.  I just think taking a punter in the third is a terrible idea for every team.

regarding cheap depth, I agree. We’ll add some.  But none of them have the potential to become starters and allow us to move on from players making lots of cash.  That’s the real value in these rounds imo.  The depth is important, for sure….but what’s so much more important is drafting players that will be solid starters for 3-4 years while making 1M.  We’ve had good success in that regard 

Totally get it. And I know what you meant there. I am interested to see how this draft might go in the middle rounds. Seems like it could go in a million different directions 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.