Seahawks turn down Jets offer of the #10 pick for DK Metcalf

Greg S

10 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

This year I can see multiple CB's and DB's, along with OL, LB and possibly TE if they don't feel Sweeney is stepping up.

We will definitely draft a tight end. We have zero under contract for 2023. Not saying it will be early.... but I reckon within the first 5 rounds. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Actually, not so dumb.  Keep him this year, franchise him next & either keep him & sign him or trade him next year & know what place in the draft the team they're trading him to has.   If I was running Seattle I'd keep him re-sign him & if I want a QB I have 2 1sts (one which may be very high) & 2 2nds to trade next year & have my QB & #1 WR.   

True, I forgot about the haul they got for Wilson.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean, I would say it's similar to when the Bills traded our 1 for Diggs(hey Beane effectively took a WR in round 1 who knew.) It's not that you can't find a good WR but a sure thing is better than a gamble.

Very true. And Justin Jefferson is also a stud. But im happy with Diggs

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I definitely didn’t think Justin Jefferson would become what he is today and I’m sure Beane didn’t think so either. He wasn’t among their “top 3 targets” they’d have to move up to get. If the Bills had stayed at 22 and selected JJ, I wonder if he would’ve been just as successful as Diggs in Buffalo.

The Bills didn't trade Jefferson for Diggs.  They traded, among other things, #22 for Diggs.  There was no guarantee Jefferson would be there at #22 if that was the guy you were targeting.  In fact, he shouldn't have been there.  Eagles picked Jalen Reagor - pretty sizable bust so far - at #21.

5 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Could always trade up for a Sammy Watkins...or just sit back and draft N’Keal Harry.

I guess I don’t understand the quote..the Jets “were” going to offer...sounds like they didn’t..so how did the Seahawks turn down the Jets offer?

Sounds like there were talks that stopped short of an offer.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it means they don’t love the WRs at 10.

Not necessarily.  Metcalf is proven.  I’d rather have him too since he’s a vet (albeit young) who can help Wilson progress.  A rookie at 10 needs Wilson to help him and might take time to adjust even as talented as he will be.

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is strange WR Draft because any of the top 6-7 guys could be the best WR in the class.  

Can someone tell me Jameson Williams at 20 won't be better than Garrett Wilson at 10, or the potential of Christian Watson in the mid-late 20's... Treylon Burks who's stock seems to be dropping.  Not to mention Olave and Dotson..

I have no clue who ends up top WR..  A lot of it may just depend on fit/situation. 

If I'm the Jets, I'm going back to Seattle with a higher offer.  If they still say no, so be it. 

Interesting, I don't disagree.  Interesting.  But, I would not do it.

If I was the Jets I would pick at 10 instead of trade for Metcalf #10 plus something and then pay him $20 M a year.

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I don't understand how every NFL fan on the internet was in love with DK during the draft, and he still fell to the end of the 2nd round.

I honestly believe that if they let the fans pick a team's 1st and 2nd round, they would do better.

Lol, I don't know man....in that case we would have picked the wrong Josh. There have been a few times fans did get it right though

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, I don't know man....in that case we would have picked the wrong Josh. There have been a few times fans did get it right though

But in the Bills case they also got lucky that they had the one GM in the league who picked the right Josh. Was it luck or skill, idk. I think very few GMs in the league would have made that same call. In general, I have to agree with the poster who said if teams just had a fan vote those teams would probably do better than the teams that employ scouting departments. It certainly wouldn’t do any worse. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Having DK on a monster deal isn't going to do them much good with their current QB situation.

Metcalf is 24 years old... Seattle isn't banking on a 7 year rebuild. If it takes them 2-3 years to find a QB and become contenders again Metcalf will still be in his prime at that point. Why would they trade him?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hes a freak for sure, but lots of grumbling about him taking plays off, if thats the case then dont want him here.

I remember the agility numbers at the combine being the loudest criticism. His numbers tested out as only straight-line speed. Therefore, route running and separation became loud concerns. At least in the media (although his draft fall suggests GMs shared these concerns). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Metcalf is 24 years old... Seattle isn't banking on a 7 year rebuild. If it takes them 2-3 years to find a QB and become contenders again Metcalf will still be in his prime at that point. Why would they trade him?

Wishful thinking, in my opinion.  Why let him rot and be a malcontent for the next 2-3 years?  

The ammo they would receive, used properly, would set the franchise on a better path long-term.  Top tier QBs are hard to come by, wide receivers - not so much.

Edited by Chicken Boo

20 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Wishful thinking, in my opinion.  Why let him rot and be a malcontent for the next 2-3 years?  

The ammo they would receive, used properly, would set the franchise on a better path long-term.  Top tier QBs are hard to come by, wide receivers - not so much.

I guess if the argument is you should be using every asset you have to find a franchise QB until you have one, I could understand that. But they just traded their franchise QB for a bunch of assets. They don't need to literally get rid of everyone on the team until they find another franchise QB. They could just draft one at #9 and immediately pair him with one of the best WRs in the league.

I hate the idea of giving up established top tier players to take swings at unknown players. The only time that ever makes sense is if the established player is forcing his way out and the team is left with no choice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.