Seahawks turn down Jets offer of the #10 pick for DK Metcalf

Greg S

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Joe Douglas wants to find a No. 1 wide receiver for quarterback Zach Wilson.

But the New York Jets general manager is finding it won’t be that easy.

Douglas already lost out on Tyreek Hill, who the Kansas City Chiefs traded to the Miami Dolphins.

Now you can add Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf’s name to the list, according to NFL insider Howard Eskin. Per WIP:

“The Jets were going to offer, and Seattle knew it, the No. 10 pick in the fist round. I’ve been told by multiple people when somebody calls Seattle about DK Metcalf (they said) ‘We’re not trading him. We’re not trading him.’ They don’t even take the offer,” Eskin said. “They just say ‘Nope’ and they just shut it right down. You can’t even make an offer right now.”

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

If true, it’s an indication that the Jets will go WR at 10, or that they don’t think there’s a WR who’s worth the 10th pick…

That is the popular thought here in the NYC/NJ area. Predictions are they go DE with the #4 pick and WR at #10. Draft will be very interesting for the local teams here. Both the Jets and Giants have two picks each in the top 10.

This is strange WR Draft because any of the top 6-7 guys could be the best WR in the class.  

Can someone tell me Jameson Williams at 20 won't be better than Garrett Wilson at 10, or the potential of Christian Watson in the mid-late 20's... Treylon Burks who's stock seems to be dropping.  Not to mention Olave and Dotson..

I have no clue who ends up top WR..  A lot of it may just depend on fit/situation. 

If I'm the Jets, I'm going back to Seattle with a higher offer.  If they still say no, so be it. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

If true, it’s an indication that the Jets will go WR at 10, or that they don’t think there’s a WR who’s worth the 10th pick…

I mean, I would say it's similar to when the Bills traded our 1 for Diggs(hey Beane effectively took a WR in round 1 who knew.) It's not that you can't find a good WR but a sure thing is better than a gamble.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Jets are looking to cash in with a proven NFL WR versus taking their chances in the draft it seems. Can't blame them. We pretty much did the same thing in trading for Diggs. It doesn't always work out for the other side like it did with Minnesota drafting Jefferson. 

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it means they don’t love the WRs at 10.

They were in on Hill but I know from the local media that one of JD's top priorities is to get weapons for Wilson. JD has been quoted in the papers as saying that. Which is understandable as Beane did the same thing for Allen.

Edited by Greg S

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it means they don’t love the WRs at 10.

Both could be true…they’d rather have Metcalf, but they’ll settle for a WR at 10 if Seattle won’t bite…

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They were in on Hill but I know from the local media that one of JD's top priorities is to get weapons for Wilson. JD has been quoted in the papers as saying that. Which is understandable as Beane did the same thing for Allen.

If they land a WR 1 they would have a nice a group of weapons.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If they land a WR 1 they would have a nice a group of weapons.

Assuming Wilson takes the next step. If he becomes another Darnold then that would suck for them. Hoping Zach follows in Darnold's failure.

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is strange WR Draft because any of the top 6-7 guys could be the best WR in the class.  

Can someone tell me Jameson Williams at 20 won't be better than Garrett Wilson at 10, or the potential of Christian Watson in the mid-late 20's... Treylon Burks who's stock seems to be dropping.  Not to mention Olave and Dotson..

I have no clue who ends up top WR..  A lot of it may just depend on fit/situation. 

If I'm the Jets, I'm going back to Seattle with a higher offer.  If they still say no, so be it. 

In my opinion I think AJ Brown may be available and worth the pick.

You brought up everybody’s name but Drake London haha. Also Drake London stock is falling. I just think he has bust written all over him. I don’t think he gets selected until the second round. Calling it early.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, H2o said:

The Jets are looking to cash in with a proven NFL WR versus taking their chances in the draft it seems. Can't blame them. We pretty much did the same thing in trading for Diggs. It doesn't always work out for the other side like it did with Minnesota drafting Jefferson. 

Big difference is Diggs was already under contract for several months years. Metcalf is not. I still agree with the Jets approach but it would have to be contingent o. Metcalf agreeing to an extension. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agree that it’s a total crapshoot…there seems to be very little agreement about who the top 3 or 5 WRs are…I’m just hoping the top six aren’t all gone before pick 25…

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean, I would say it's similar to when the Bills traded our 1 for Diggs(hey Beane effectively took a WR in round 1 who knew.) It's not that you can't find a good WR but a sure thing is better than a gamble.

He traded a #1 for a WR which after new deal for 2 years.  Not so good deal IMO now.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

I definitely didn’t think Justin Jefferson would become what he is today and I’m sure Beane didn’t think so either. He wasn’t among their “top 3 targets” they’d have to move up to get. If the Bills had stayed at 22 and selected JJ, I wonder if he would’ve been just as successful as Diggs in Buffalo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.