Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

I love Diggs as a player, but I'm not in love with this contract extension. 

There's a handful of comparable WR out there. Kupp, Hopkins, Adams, and Hill are all almost 30 years old with multiple elite seasons. 

Of those guys Diggs has the least team friendly contract (not to mention he signed this 4 year contract extension while he still had 2 years remaining on the original contract). The dead cap amounts 4/5 years from now when he's 32/33 years old are pretty eye-opening.  His current cap hit isn't small enough to justify that sort of dead cap that far down the road. 

Oh well. If it helps us win a SB I could give a ***** about future cap implications. The cap is more guidelines than actual rules anyway

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

There's a handful of comparable WR out there. Kupp, Hopkins, Adams, and Hill are all almost 30 years old with multiple elite seasons. 

Of those guys Diggs has the least team friendly contract (not to mention he signed this 4 year contract extension while he still had 2 years remaining on the original contract). The dead cap amounts 4/5 years from now when he's 32/33 years old are pretty eye-opening.  His current cap hit isn't small enough to justify that sort of dead cap that far down the road. 

Oh well. If it helps us win a SB I could give a ***** about future cap implications. The cap is more guidelines than actual rules anyway

How exactly is it not team friendly?  It’s an avg of 20 mil over 6 years. Not 26-30 mil. It also allows Bills an out in 3-4 years if need be

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How exactly is it not team friendly?  It’s an avg of 20 mil over 6 years. Not 26-30 mil. It also allows Bills an out in 3-4 years if need be

I'm not trying to say Diggs contract is a poison pill or anything. Just that it's the least team friendly deal among comparable WRs (Kupp, Adams, Hill, Hopkins). Kupp in particular is on a real sweetheart of a deal. 

56 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm not trying to say Diggs contract is a poison pill or anything. Just that it's the least team friendly deal among comparable WRs (Kupp, Adams, Hill, Hopkins). Kupp in particular is on a real sweetheart of a deal. 

You think Kupp isnt going to be stewing for a new deal?  Diggs is quite possibly the best WR out of ALL of them outside of Cupp

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

🙄Noobs.. Can’t live with ‘em, pass the beer nuts. -Norm Peterson

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Reason to like it.

1.  Allen wants him here

2.  Became instantly elite with Allen.

3.  Only 28.  Contract plays as a 2 year extension.  Trap door out when he is 32/33 

4.  He loses a step will become an elite slot.  
5.  Creates cap space this season and next.  

The 120 over 6 is about as real as Vons 120 over 6.  I am old enough to remember the aging out of the 90s Bills and catastrophic roster construction from that point to now.  This regime is literally doing what most have complained about and wanted for 20 years.  Now some are scared of the price tag?  Dont worry, Pegula is getting more public money in recent history for a stadium.  The fact he is dropping 120 close to 135 total mil in escrow for the signing bonuses and restructures is what a fans want.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yeah it wasn't a good deal for the team.   He had 2 years left and not much real negotiating leverage.

It's very reminiscent of the extension they gave LeSean McCoy after acquiring him in trade.........McCoy's original Eagles contract would have expired when his ability did.........instead the Bills tacked on 3 more years and $26M more guaranteed for no good reason other than to try to keep him happy.   Super agent and former Pegula employee Todd France......likely noting the Bills excessive generosity to McCoy........then fleeced the f*ck out of his former boss with the Dareus contract.......which was signed in a moment of Rex Ryan era euphoria and contained no penalties for misconduct because Terry was giving his old pal a sweetheart deal.

They should get a few more top years out of Diggs but 6 is about twice as far as I'd trust Diggs to be a top 10 WR in the NFL..........and I do think that WR contracts will level off.   They extended him at the peak of the market, IMO.

Sometimes the worst cap decisions are made in the height of offseason/preseason revelry.

But as you said.........in reality...........the cap is more of a guideline.   The deal may hurt them down the line but if they really care about winning they will work around it.

The problem is that the cap CAN......and you know WILL.......be used as an excuse or weaponized to shut up the media or other observers.  

When it's convenient.

Like when the Beane-ster joined the Bills and loudly whined about the cap situation he inherited.    Salary cap ignorant fans,.....disgruntled by the prior regime....were quick to parrot that nonsense.

In reality.......the Bills went into free agency 2017 between $30M and $40M.........UNDER........the salary cap........with almost no long term commitments at all.    They didn't spend much before Beane technically took the reigns.  

The cap excuse was just used to justify not retaining any of the young core of the team........like future All Pro Robert Woods and NFLDPOY Stephon Gilmore.

Beane then created what was then the largest amount of dead cap in one offseason in NFL history in 2018 and wasted PILES of money and cap space on a simply horrible selection of free agents.   Brutal. :lol:

A couple years later he was neck deep in cap commitments with his QB only 3 years into his rookie deal.

He tried to toe the line in the 2020 offseason.........teams like pocketing actual profits if possible......(lifestyles must be maintained;)).........and being confident he thought they could run it back and their trajectory would improve thru continuity alone.

That didn't happen............they blew a truly golden opportunity to gain home field advantage in a jumbled AFC.........and ultimately failed to even get the team back to where they were in 2020.

THEN.....Beane got real and started treating the salary cap like a guideline. 

I like Beane a lot.........he makes more decisions I like than any GM the Bills have ever had.   He is a confidence man and devout shyster who is quick with a lie.......and excellent at looking innocent doing it..........which is all part of what makes him one of the best executives in the NFL.    The Pegula's NEEDED this guy.  

But he still has also made a lot of bonehead moves and non-moves and that should be acknowledged in real time........rather than just heaped on when things go bad like they traditionally have been.........and like may happen late in Diggs contract. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it wasn't a good deal for the team.   He had 2 years left and not much real negotiating leverage.

It's very reminiscent of the extension they gave LeSean McCoy after acquiring him in trade.........McCoy's original Eagles contract would have expired when his ability did.........instead the Bills tacked on 3 more years and $26M more guaranteed for no good reason other than to try to keep him happy.   Super agent and former Pegula employee Todd France......likely noting the Bills excessive generosity to McCoy........then fleeced the f*ck out of his former boss with the Dareus contract.......which was signed in a moment of Rex Ryan era euphoria and contained no penalties for misconduct because Terry was giving his old pal a sweetheart deal.

They should get a few more top years out of Diggs but 6 is about twice as far as I'd trust Diggs to be a top 10 WR in the NFL..........and I do think that WR contracts will level off.   They extended him at the peak of the market, IMO.

Sometimes the worst cap decisions are made in the height of offseason/preseason revelry.

But as you said.........in reality...........the cap is more of a guideline.   The deal may hurt them down the line but if they really care about winning they will work around it.

The problem is that the cap CAN......and you know WILL.......be used as an excuse or weaponized to shut up the media or other observers.  

When it's convenient.

Like when the Beane-ster joined the Bills and loudly whined about the cap situation he inherited.    Salary cap ignorant fans,.....disgruntled by the prior regime....were quick to parrot that nonsense.

In reality.......the Bills went into free agency 2017 between $30M and $40M.........UNDER........the salary cap........with almost no long term commitments at all.    They didn't spend much before Beane technically took the reigns.  

The cap excuse was just used to justify not retaining any of the young core of the team........like future All Pro Robert Woods and NFLDPOY Stephon Gilmore.

Beane then created what was then the largest amount of dead cap in one offseason in NFL history in 2018 and wasted PILES of money and cap space on a simply horrible selection of free agents.   Brutal. :lol:

A couple years later he was neck deep in cap commitments with his QB only 3 years into his rookie deal.

He tried to toe the line in the 2020 offseason.........teams like pocketing actual profits if possible......(lifestyles must be maintained;)).........and being confident he thought they could run it back and their trajectory would improve thru continuity alone.

That didn't happen............they blew a truly golden opportunity to gain home field advantage in a jumbled AFC.........and ultimately failed to even get the team back to where they were in 2020.

I like Beane a lot.........he makes more decisions I like than any GM the Bills have ever had.   He is a confidence man and devout shyster who is quick with a lie.......and excellent at looking innocent doing it..........which is all part of what makes him one of the best executives in the NFL.    The Pegula's NEEDED this guy.  

But he still has also made a lot of bonehead moves and non-moves and that should be acknowledged in real time........rather than just heaped on when things go bad like they traditionally have been.........and like may happen late in Diggs contract. 

Technically, you can look at Diggs' previous contract and say there was no need to act. Existentially, in reality, Deebo Samuel's discontent and Diggs' enigmatic social media tweets indicate that the current escalation of wr dollars was going to need to be addressed if you want to maintain a happy locker room. As we are in the optimum window for SB success (should have won last year,) I'm not sure Beane had too much of a choice. As far as paying up at the crest of the wave, maybe, but do you think the price is going to go down, because without being an expert, I just rather doubt it? It may stabilize, but then, how does that come down to a different bottom line other than the length of contract, where there are some outs at the end apparently?

And none of this is to dispute the basic assertion that Beane has done a good job but made mistakes and will, undoubtedly, make more, because even if very good at his job, a human being who errs . . . maybe not you.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When it's convenient.

A wise man once told me “brevity is the soul…”, oh never mind.

Your post ignores the human element of football. You say Diggs had two more years, and therefore no leverage. This ignores the fact that in seeing other WRs get paid across the league, and recognizing that he was now underpaid, there was every possibility that Diggs would become disgruntled. Still under contract? Sure. But he could have skipped camp, skipped games, taken to social media to complain…in short, he could’ve created a huge distraction in a crucial year for the Bills.

Rewarding a guy who has done everything the right way, produced at a high level, and been a team leader is also the right thing to do from a team building and culture perspective. Now, instead of other players on the team saying “if HE can’t get paid, what hope do I have?”, they’ll be saying “do things the right way, produce, and I’ll get paid”. 

This stuff matters. The human element. Culture. One of the big reasons players now WANT to play in Buffalo.

You then use the rest of your post to more or less complain about a GM who has built a team with the leading Super Bowl odds, a tremendous roster, a franchise QB, and a string of three playoff appearances after 17 years without one.

No GM is perfect. Not one. And no one on this forum likes to litigate the mistakes Beane has made more than you. It’s tiresome. Your generally arrogant demeanor of winking smileys and always, ALWAYS thinking you’re right are tiresome, too.

Remember the T.O. quote “I love me some me”? That’s you!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Technically, you can look at Diggs' previous contract and say there was no need to act. Existentially, in reality, Deebo Samuel's discontent and Diggs' enigmatic social media tweets indicate that the current escalation of wr dollars was going to need to be addressed if you want to maintain a happy locker room. As we are in the optimum window for SB success (should have won last year,) I'm not sure Beane had too much of a choice. As far as paying up at the crest of the wave, maybe, but do you think the price is going to go down, because without being an expert, I just rather doubt it? It may stabilize, but then, how does that come down to a different bottom line other than the length of contract, where there are some outs at the end apparently?

And none of this is to dispute the basis assertion that Beane has done a good job but made mistakes and will, undoubtedly, make more, because even if very good at his job, a human being who errs . . . maybe not you.

Literally, you can look at Diggs then existing contract and say there was no need to act..............not  just "technically".

You can't keep everyone at their happiest as a GM.........sometimes players are going to want for things.

I think Beane did a pretty good job keeping Diggs at bay on an extension for a couple years.........but ultimately the objective should have been to get him to the offseason before his walk year and see where he stood going into his age 30 season.

Beane blew all of his gains by having him at 3/4 of the market by re-inking him at the top of the market, IMO.

People can disagree but I think this deal ends with 2-3 years left and a lot of dead money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Literally, you can look at Diggs then existing contract and say there was no need to act..............not  just "technically".

You can't keep everyone at their happiest as a GM.........sometimes players are going to want for things.

I think Beane did a pretty good job keeping Diggs at bay on an extension for a couple years.........but ultimately the objective should have been to get him to the offseason before his walk year and see where he stood going into his age 30 season.

Beane blew all of his gains by having him at 3/4 of the market by re-inking him at the top of the market, IMO.

People can disagree but I think this deal ends with 2-3 years left and a lot of dead money.

Here is to hoping you keep being wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Diggs being rewarded for coming here, working, producing at an elite level, being best friends with your QB and turning into a leader….giving him an extension shows the entire roster and NFL that Buffalo is a first class organization. Any other opinion on the matter is just taking a dump on the team for no logical reason

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs being rewarded for coming here, working, producing at an elite level, being best friends with your QB and turning into a leader….giving him an extension shows the entire roster and NFL that Buffalo is a first class organization. Any other opinion on the matter is just taking a dump on the team for no logical reason

Is this like when Marv Levy and Russ Brandon let players decide if they wanted to play for the Bills and TSW said that was showing the roster and the rest of the league that Buffalo was a good place to play and that would lead to players wanting to play for the Bills?

Reality...........players care about:

1) THEIR money 

2) THEIR treatment

3) THEIR self interest  

4) Everything else 

In that order.

They could be a last class organization.........if the pay is right and the QB is right..........that's ultimately what matters.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This looks great right up to the point where he holds out.......then it doesnt

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I recall you explaining at the time of the trade that Diggs would be clamoring for a new contract after 2020... I think you may have doubled down after 2021, but I could be mistaken.

What, other than your contention, would be the evidence that Beane had any job to do "keeping Diggs at bay" the past two seasons?

What is the evidence that this is the top of the WR market? 

What other positional contracts have peaked and gone down?  Are there any examples of that?

When I look at the structure of the contract, I think it's designed to end with 2 years left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.