Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry but I didn't see, does this free up more cap space for us?

We don't know yet. We'll have to wait until his contract details are posted on Spotrac. People are assuming his cap number was changed for this season. But to me it's just as likely that his contract stays the same for the next two years and the new money is on the backend with a prorated signing bonus up front.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We don't know yet. We'll have to wait until his contract details are posted on Spotrac. People are assuming his cap number was changed for this season. But to me it's just as likely that his contract stays the same for the next two years and the new money is on the backend with a prorated signing bonus up front.

While we don't know the true numbers, I'd say of course the cap hit is reduced for this year. That's why they did the deal now. Hasn't virtually every Bills restructure/extension resulted in a reduced cap for 2022?  The exact numbers? We'll have to wait for the deets. But expect a decent cap reduction for this year.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Glad this team is putting issues to bed going forward. 

The Allen extension.

Diggs extension. 
Stadium (with a lot of help from government).

Now what to do with Edmunds.

No, extending Diggs just opened up a can of new issues.

Players understand when free agents get paid...........but once you start re-doing players with years remaining on their deal and rewarding them as if that player is an actual free agent.........ie not "team friendly"...........then it's invariable that guys like Poyer/Hyde/Edmunds .........whose values are unlikely to ever be higher........are inevitably going to feel jealous or mistreated and angry with the team.    

None of those players should be extended any further than they are right now and they had peace on that front IMO because of the fact that Diggs deal was below market.

Said it many times this offseason.........you don't re-do Diggs deal until there is only one year left.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 4

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

While we don't know the true numbers, I'd say of course the cap hit is reduced for this year. That's why they did the deal now. Hasn't virtually every Bills restructure/extension resulted in a reduced cap for 2022?  The exact numbers? We'll have to wait for the deets. But expect a decent cap reduction for this year.

I would wholeheartedly disagree that the Diggs extension was done now simply because they wanted cap space. It was done now because we want to keep him in the fold for years to come, keep him happy with all the other big deals that were handed out to WR's, and because he's wanted a new deal since the day we traded for him over two seasons ago. 

The signing has been billed as an "extension". Not a completely new deal. When we extended Josh, his contract stayed the same and the new numbers came in the extension. It's possible they reworked these two years, but it's not a given. Especially when you consider his number now isn't excessive in the grand scheme of top WR's.

• Like (+1) 1

So to be clear...there is no confirmation yet of more freed up cap space, just the assumption or speculation that it did?  And definitely no details about how much yet if it did lower the cap hit?  

Edited by Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, extending Diggs just opened up a can of new issues.

Players understand when free agents get paid...........but once you start re-doing players with years remaining on their deal and rewarding them as if that player is an actual free agent.........ie not "team friendly"...........then it's invariable that guys like Poyer/Hyde/Edmunds .........whose values are unlikely to ever be higher........are inevitably going to feel jealous or mistreated and angry with the team.   

FWIW, both Poyer and Hyde got new deals prior to free agency, when an argument could be made that they were grossly underpaid for performance.

So that would seem to be a case of pot-kettle-black

Rachel Bush was "going off" about Von Miller getting signed whilst her hubbykins wasn't being extended, well prior to the Diggs extension.  So I would say the "understanding" you speak of may be more perception than reality.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, both Poyer and Hyde got new deals prior to free agency, when an argument could be made that they were grossly underpaid for performance.

So that would seem to be a case of pot-kettle-black

Also, it's been pointed out that Diggs didn't get a new contract when we traded for him just a restructure he's been due.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.