Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Great point. Dude was hated here for so long, but has proven he definitely wasnt the problem at OBD. He deserves big credit and appreciation, and really some apologies.

The only reason people hate him is because he is long associated with the drought era team. That and they’re completely clueless as to his role over the years. There’s a reason that Beane and Co. saw fit to retain him from that old regime when so many others in high positions have been purged. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Special K said:

Visual representation of the Bills offseason:

money-cash.gif

I'm so glad the Bills have an owner who can afford it!!

Say what you want about the Pegula's as pro sports owners, but this is the biggest difference between Ralph Wilson in that they aren't afraid to truly go big and spend money.

Obviously with all these investments there is definitely going to be high expectations attached to it which is why I maintain anything less than a SB appearance this season and certain folks seats will definitely be hot...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

This seems like a very team-friendly deal even by the standards of 30 seconds ago.  We'll need to see what the cap hits look like over time, but on an annual basis this is going to look like a bargain-bin signing in a couple of seasons.

He probably saw Josh as his ticket to the hall of Fame one day.

2 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Spotrac has us 18.1 million under the cap. Don't forget next year we will get some relief from the amount of dead money we have on the books.

Not sure why people often say this. I think its completely irrelevant. Dead money this year contributes to our tight cap this year. Next year our cap will be even tighter. We will not have current dead money weight, but there will be a lot of new dead money, and a lot of high cap hits. Once we sign this year's rookies we will be probably already over the cap with maybe 42 players, and 10 of them PS quality players.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What? No but he does need to start hitting on picks cause we can’t keep signing free agents. He also drafted josh and that gives a chance to win every year. We have to get cheaper at certain positions. That’s just a fact

Lol. You can't be serious with "start", can you?

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Because they took Diggs' current cap hit off until they know what the new contract looks like.  I'd guess that they'd get to about $6-8 mil in cap space after the details are added for Diggs and Jones.  They need about $3 mil for the top 2-3 draft picks.

I think you mentioned in your later posts but is is actually less than $2 mil for the rookies. Top 2 require almost exactly additional $2mil, 3rd adds some change, but if we keep some rookies from lower rounds (which we will), they will actually lower our cap hit. So it will be $2 mil (unless Beans moves a lot in the draft).

53 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Holy crap! This is awesome! 

Weird immediate question but how much Cap space does this free up?

36 minutes ago, Utah John said:

This is great news.  Does anyone know what this does to this year's salary cap?

Diggs' old cap hit was around $17M. New numbers are not known yet, but I guess his 2022 cap hit will be something between $5-8M, max $10M (Von Miller had $5M despite his contract). So this creates cap space for rookies, $3M needed for some in season changes and maybe some cheap FA CB.

Edited by No_Matter_What

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Say what you want about the Pegula's as pro sports owners, but this is the biggest difference between Ralph Wilson in that they aren't afraid to truly go big and spend money.

Its probably more like the Pegula's actually have cash on hand to spend and Ralph did not. I believe Ralph bought the team in 1960 for $100,000. Most of his wealth was tied up in the value of the team, and couldn't compete with the other owners. Pegula is now one of the richest owners in the league and the up front money he is able to put out there in contracts is hard for other owners to rival....its nice to be on the top of the pyramid for once!!

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Its probably more like the Pegula's actually have cash on hand to spend and Ralph did not. I believe Ralph bought the team in 1960 for $100,000. Most of his wealth was tied up in the value of the team, and couldn't compete with the other owners. Pegula is now one of the richest owners in the league and the up front money he is able to put out there in contracts is hard for other owners to rival....its nice to be on the top of the pyramid for once!!

So much better than that "Cap to Cash" bullsh*t

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Diggs' cap hit was around $17M. New numbers are not known yet, but I guess his 2022 cap hit will be something between 5-8M, max 10M (Von Miller had $5M despite his contract). So this creates cap space for rookies, $3M needed for some in season changes and maybe some cheap FA CB.

If we cut $10m off the CAP that's A LOT!!!! I think we had about a mil before this, so that leaves roughly $8m after draft picks. That would be enough for a premium remaining FA

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, maybe one of those instances where someone acts like they know what they're talking about but they really don't know *****

I mean, in Whaley's defense, he was simply asked to give his opinion about what the Bills might do. And just like us, he had no clue what Diggs was asking for, and what we would offer. Plus, talking about trades fills waaaayyy more airtime in this dead part of the offseason than simply saying "Nah, they'll re-sign him".

But I wont get in the way of the Bash Doug parade. I'm over it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If we cut $10m off the CAP that's A LOT!!!! I think we had about a mil before this, so that leaves roughly $8m after draft picks. That would be enough for a premium remaining FA

I think he really needs to keep $3M or so for the season for any players who replace IR players. Also, I think this is top51 cap space, but full roster is 53 so there's another $1,8M for two players needed (unless I am misunderstanding something).

Also, I still think that Sportrac has Star wrong. They count him as 5,2M dead cap, but it should be 7,8M. 

So in my opinion this creates space for some cheap CB FA only. If we want someone more expensive then another restructure is required, and I guess that Beane will be reluctant to do so since you only can kick the can so far. But there are obviously other options, like trading Edmunds :)

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Agreed.     

The fear for me was that he would want Tyreek Hill money, and clearly, he just wanted to stay in Buffalo and be paid fairly. 

Goes to show that players WILL take less when they are in good situations. I've suggested this several times and I get poo poo'd about it sometimes. 

I know its not a rule or should be expected, but some players will take less...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, couple disappointing picks but nobody will knock them all out the park. I mean I think the most disappointing would be Ford considering he was a 2nd round pick. Some will say AJ. Epensea too being a 2nd rounder, but for me it's still a bit early to count him out imo.

In any event, the good/solid picks out number the bad for sure

Epenesa has had flashes...he was a one man wrecking crew in the first Miami game...he knocked Tua out of the game with a huge hit.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, in Whaley's defense, he was simply asked to give his opinion about what the Bills might do. And just like us, he had no clue what Diggs was asking for, and what we would offer. Plus, talking about trades fills waaaayyy more airtime in this dead part of the offseason than simply saying "Nah, they'll re-sign him".

But I wont get in the way of the Bash Doug parade. I'm over it.

Well yeah, you're right....he was asked and gave his opinion. Wasn't intended to "bash Doug" although my statement may have seemed like I was. Probably should have worded it differently...

Anyways...

14 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I think you mentioned in your later post but is is actually less than $2 mil for the rookies. Top 2 require almost exactly additional $2mil, 3rd add some change, but if we keep some rookies from lower rounds (which we do), they will actually lower our cap hit. So it will be $2 mil (unless Beans moves a lot).

Diggs' old cap hit was around $17M. New numbers are not known yet, but I guess his 2022 cap hit will be something between $5-8M, max $10M (Von Miller had $5M despite his contract). So this creates cap space for rookies, $3M needed for some in season changes and maybe some cheap FA CB.

Yeah, the first estimate of $3 mil was a guess, then I looked at the #s and saw it was closer to $2 mil.

It will be interesting to see how the new contract impacts the Diggs cap this year!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously with all these investments there is definitely going to be high expectations attached to it which is why I maintain anything less than a SB appearance this season and certain folks seats will definitely be hot...

I mean look at the amount of money they spent to build what might be the most state of the art training facility in the world. They aren't just spending it on the field...they are spending it to support the team in every way possible

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Epenesa has had flashes...he was a one man wrecking crew in the first Miami game...he knocked Tua out of the game with a huge hit.

Yeah, also remember some times he impressed with his speed and would run someone down making a play when it looked as if offensive player was going to gain a chunk of yards.

Hope to see a big jump this 3rd season from him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.