Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

41 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Did not see that coming but looks like a good deal! I do worry about WRs not aging well these days and Diggs was banged up pretty much all of last year so that’s not a great sign, but glad he’s back! 

22 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Really?? Assumed it was expected myself, at least at some point. I do recall seeing a couple posters that were saying they thought he would be traded for some reason (don't know the reason making one believe that)....

There was no way Diggs wasn't going to get taken care of eventually or traded imo

I LOVE it that both sides have intentions for Diggs to retire a Bill. Very excited to hear that.

Yes figured there was discussion in the works.  IMO outcome was either he's sign a deal the Bills could live with (which is what happened) or if he was asking for Adams/Hill and higher money, then a good chance they could have traded him.  If he was sounding like I need to be paid NOW, then could have seen a trade in next two weeks.  If he wanted a mega deal but sounded like he was OK to play out this season, then would have kept him around and either see if by next year the market changes a little and are able to sign him or traded him next off season and draft a WR likely in 1st round this year.

Has there been any numbers posted on salary cap affect or contract breakdown for up coming years?  All I've read is a decrease in cap this year which is kind of a given.

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes figured there was discussion in the works.  IMO outcome was either he's sign a deal the Bills could live with (which is what happened) or if he was asking for Adams/Hill and higher money, then a good chance they could have traded him.  If he was sounding like I need to be paid NOW, then could have seen a trade in next two weeks.  If he wanted a mega deal but sounded like he was OK to play out this season, then would have kept him around and either see if by next year the market changes a little and are able to sign him or traded him next off season and draft a WR likely in 1st round this year.

Has there been any numbers posted on salary cap affect or contract breakdown for up coming years?  All I've read is a decrease in cap this year which is kind of a given.

I haven't seen anywhere just yet myself unless I missed it....

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think Edmunds gets traded before the draft. His cap hit is/will be too high. Just speculation of course.

And then we would have a big hole at mlb. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to do that right now with a team trying to win a super bowl. 

I wanna see what tremaine does with this revamped dline in front of him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I definitely didn't see this coming but obviously a key move keeping core players intact and likely freeing up some cap space to secure one of the top DB's left on the FA market.

Not sure how this story will end for this current group but this is the closet thing to a 'golden era of Bills football' since the 90's teams.

While Diggs was not drafted here.  Lets look at the Extensions given to the Players of the McD and Beane draft eras.  I think they know what they are doing in the draft as well. 

2017 (Starters 3)

Tre White - Extended 

Dion Dawkins - Extended 

Matt Milano - Extended

Nathan Peterman 

Tanner Vallejo 

2018 (Starters 5)

Josh Allen - extended

Tremaine Edmunds

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson - Extended

Siran Neal - Re-signed

Wyatt Teller

Ray - Ray McCloud

Austin Proehl

2019 (3 Starters)

Ed Oliver

Cody Ford

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

Vosean Joseph

Jaquan Johnson

Darryl Johnson

Tommy Sweeney

2020 (3 Starters - Dane took over for Tre)

AJ Epensea

Zack Moss

Gabriel Davis

Jake Fromm

Tyler Bass

Dane Jackson

2021 (2 Starters)

Greg Rousseau

Boogie Basham Jr.

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Marquez Stevenson

Damar Hamlin

Rachad Wildgoose

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you forgot Knox.  He will get his market share a year early (w some guaranteed cash to sweeten the pot).  He's a keeper.

No I didnt.  I personally just do not think Knox is a major priority.  I know he is well liked and has improved every year, but it is not like he is a super top end TE.  Though I do think he could get an extension I also could see him as the odd man out on this offense.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

43 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We already had that available. Remember the cap numbers change significantly once it shifts to only counting the Top-51. We were already expected to have the room to sign rookies earmarked. Any savings from this Diggs deal will likely (hopefully) go to more Free Agent signings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn! McDermott loves Diggs like that too? Whole family has Diggs jerseys?? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Manny Sanders is beside himself on GMFB…love that guy.

”See this table right here?  I’m gonna jump through it!!!”

LOL at his stuff about how Josh Allen has a "Diggs shrine" in his locker and Diggs has a "Josh Allen shrine" in his.

And the part about how Josh jumped on trade talk to Dallas:  "No."

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

While Diggs was not drafted here.  Lets look at the Extensions given to the Players of the McD and Beane draft eras.  I think they know what they are doing in the draft as well. 

2017 (Starters 3)

Tre White - Extended 

Dion Dawkins - Extended 

Matt Milano - Extended

Nathan Peterman 

Tanner Vallejo 

2018 (Starters 5)

Josh Allen - extended

Tremaine Edmunds

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson - Extended

Siran Neal - Re-signed

Wyatt Teller

Ray - Ray McCloud

Austin Proehl

2019 (3 Starters)

Ed Oliver

Cody Ford

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

Vosean Joseph

Jaquan Johnson

Darryl Johnson

Tommy Sweeney

AJ Epensea

Zack Moss

Gabriel Davis

Jake Fromm

Tyler Bass

Dane Jackson

2021 (2 Starters)

Greg Rousseau

Boogie Basham Jr.

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Marquez Stevenson

Damar Hamlin

Rachad Wildgoose

Yeah, couple disappointing picks but nobody will knock them all out the park. I mean I think the most disappointing would be Ford considering he was a 2nd round pick. Some will say AJ. Epensea too being a 2nd rounder, but for me it's still a bit early to count him out imo.

In any event, the good/solid picks out number the bad for sure

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1

Glorious!, Wonderful!.

After 30 years of watching guys walk and not keeping a solid core together on this team,  these past 4-5 years are a refreshing reset in how to keep a team competitive long term. 

Way to go Buffalo Bills. The current management is without a doubt the best we've ever had. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, couple disappointing picks but nobody will knock them all out the park. I mean I think the most disappointing would be Ford considering he was a 2nd round pick. Some will say AJ. Epensea too being a 2nd rounder, but for me it's still a bit early to count him out imo.

The issue with the EDGE picks are that they can take a while to develop.  

Ideally their rookie year is the learning curve and then in Year 2, they hit the ground running.... Rousseau/Basham, looking at you.

With Epenesa, we're now entering Year 3, and if he does start figuring it out, well then we have 1-2 years of him before we have to shell out big money at a big money position.  

I think Beane is pretty good at identifying talent in the draft, but my one critique is that we need more immediate impact out of our high picks...especially now with a top heavy roster. 

Edited by SCBills

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

2017 (Starters 3)

Tre White - Extended 

Dion Dawkins - Extended 

Matt Milano - Extended

Nathan Peterman 

Tanner Vallejo 

2018 (Starters 5)

Josh Allen - extended

Tremaine Edmunds

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson - Extended

Siran Neal - Re-signed

Wyatt Teller

Ray - Ray McCloud

Austin Proehl

2019 (3 Starters)

Ed Oliver

Cody Ford

Devin Singletary

Dawson Knox

Vosean Joseph

Jaquan Johnson

Darryl Johnson

Tommy Sweeney

AJ Epensea

Zack Moss

Gabriel Davis

Jake Fromm

Tyler Bass

Dane Jackson

2021 (2 Starters)

Greg Rousseau

Boogie Basham Jr.

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Marquez Stevenson

Damar Hamlin

Rachad Wildgoose

No I didnt.  I personally just do not think Knox is a major priority.  I know he is well liked and has improved every year, but it is not like he is a super top end TE.  Though I do think he could get an extension I also could see him as the odd man out on this offense.  

Also, there are guys on that list who are contributors for other teams as well. 

• Wyatt Teller is an all pro guard
  • Tanner Vallejo turned into an excellent special teams guy 
  • Ray Ray is a starting return man in the league
  • Phillips got big money from the Vikings
  • Daryll Johnson was traded for a pick
  • Peterman has hung around the league somehow
  • Fromm, Wildgoose, and Jack Anderson were plucked off our practice squad and put on main rosters

Not to mention UDFAs like Levi Wallace who became a starter and turned it into money. Or Ryan Bates who came in a preseason trade and as just extended. They likely wanted him as an UDFA for them to make that move.

They have done an exceptional job. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Epensea going into the year was just behind Chase Young as best edge in the country.  Idk if his physical change helped or hurt him.  He was a no brainer 2nd rder.  Gotta take swings at premier positions.  If Rouseau, Basham, or Epensea hit its a huge boost.  You can call Epensea a miss if he doesnt pan out but I wouldnt blame the organization.  Seemed like a homerun at the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.