48 Years ago today, in Buffalo Bills History

T&C

6 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I was a little younger when the charging Buffalo came around, but seem to remember most liked it.  Not the red helmets though...they were always pretty ugly.

Reaching an epic low with the 14 helmet stripes and Jammy-Panel uniforms... and a drought

Bills ownership needs to thank their lucky-gods there was a fan left standing by that team.  

We had to cheer for a frickin' PUNTER for 12 years...

7 hours ago, T&C said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/april-5-in-bills-history-charging-buffalo-introduced-as-bills-logo-15104242

Took a little getting used to but I still love the standing buffalo the best.

April 5, 1974 - BILLS INTRODUCE NEW LOGO
The Bills announced a major change in the team's logo for the 1974 season. Gone was the red standing buffalo that had been the team's mark since 1962. It was replaced by a blue charging buffalo with a red streak, the crowning achievement of artist Stevens Wright.

How the Bills got their name:

Following the 1946 season, in an effort to generate more fan interest and distinguish the football team from the city's minor league baseball and hockey teams, which also bore the name "Bisons," the team ran a contest to select a new name. Over 4,500 entries were submitted, and "the Bills" won out over "Bullets," "Nickels" and "Blue Devils." Several contestants suggested the winning name, but James F. Dyson was named the winner of the $500 prize based on his essay comparing the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills." He wrote that, while the legendary Indian Scout William "Buffalo Bill" Cody helped trailblaze the American Frontier, the football team (owned by the president of Frontier Oil) was opening a new frontier in Buffalo sports.

I was 10 when it was announced. Having grown up with the standing red bison, I was sad at the change but grew to really like the new logo. There was a small blurb in the Buffalo News with a picture of the new helmet. My mom cut it out of the paper for me and I still have that clipping to this day.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Time for another new logo... might as well get it done before they build all the stuff for the new stadium.

You don't mess with perfection. The Bills logo is perfect both the current charging and classic standing buffalo. They have the perfect uniforms as well. Although I am not a fan of the all blues and reds. Every other look with the white helmet looks great. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

You don't mess with perfection. The Bills logo is perfect both the current charging and classic standing buffalo. They have the perfect uniforms as well. Although I am not a fan of the all blues and reds. Every other look with the white helmet looks great. 

The uniforms are great, for sure. The logo is not.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:37 PM, T&C said:

April 5, 1974 - BILLS INTRODUCE NEW LOGO
The Bills announced a major change in the team's logo for the 1974 season. Gone was the red standing buffalo that had been the team's mark since 1962. It was replaced by a blue charging buffalo with a red streak, the crowning achievement of artist Stevens Wright.

The initial Bills' helmets in 1960 & 1961 were silver with the jersey number in blue on each side:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/9/1984140/buffalo-bills-uniforms-throughout-the-years

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.