Mock draft has Bills trade next years round 1 + , to move up in first - Too much?

Desert Bills Fan

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I’m not sure if the 13 second were the D roster or the prevent D that was called!   Poyer so far off the line.  An elite CB will help, but I’m not trading 2 firsts unless the D play calling improves.  

But if a DB like Gardner is on the field, do we even end up in the 13 second situation? Or does this 6'2" elite talent help prevent Hill taking it to the house or any of the other TDs scored on a backfield lead by Levi Wallace, and we have the game wrapped by the 2 min warning?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’m not sure if the 13 second were the D roster or the prevent D that was called!   Poyer so far off the line.  An elite CB will help, but I’m not trading 2 firsts unless the D play calling improves.  

IMO, play call. There's a video clip of Travis telling Mahomes the seam is open if they call the same play. Fan of McDermott, but...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

We could kick those 13 seconds around for the next ten years and never figure out how the hell that happened.  I personally still don't like thinking about it, it still makes me feel like I got punched in the gut.  Maybe a healthy Tre in the game makes the difference?  We'll never know.  

Getting another Tre White on the roster would surely increase the margin of error for this team though.  If McDermott believes there is another Tre in this draft, I wouldn't have any issue with Beane going up to get him.  

The Bills traded a ton for Sammy. What did that get us? I’d love to have a great #2 corner, too, but sticking near the allotted picks each year seems more prudent than trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

4 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

The Bills traded a ton for Sammy. What did that get us? I’d love to have a great #2 corner, too, but sticking near the allotted picks each year seems more prudent than trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

We traded a ton for Sammy when we had EJ and Kyle Orton at QB. Of course it failed.

We traded a similar amount for Diggs with Josh at QB, and it's worked out pretty well.

Completely different teams. Cant compare to old trades in a vacuum.

5 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

Hey Chas,

No doubt about it that Sammy was a big swing and a miss.  I have more faith in Beane than Whaley though.   It should be an interesting Draft night.  

🍻

52 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

What about a 5 year rookie deal at WR?  Who do we have after this year besides Diggs and Davis?  And there is prob now way we can keep both of them beyond this year. We can’t have 45-50 million a year tied up into 2 receivers. 

Unless Davis has a HUGE year there is no way he is commanding top of the league money next year.  Plus, he is under contract for 2 more years, not 1.  The dude had an amazing postseason but has been under 600 yards 2 years in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Chas56 said:

Gardner would be drafted to be a dual #1 CB.

Not that I'm thrilled with this idea, but this isn't a #2 CB we're talking about. 

Given that they have manipulated almost every contract that they have to free up cap space, I am not keen on trading picks from next year, if we can avoid it.  My view is that the Bills are unlikely to be able to sign any free agents next year and quite possibly will lose some important pieces to free agency next year, so the draft will be the only real way to acquire talent for backfilling losses or upgrading weaknesses.

I am not completely against trading picks from next year, particularly if the idea is to get Gardner so that they can trade White to free up cap space.  It does seem risky to me to be trading high picks from 2023.

I like the idea of moving up.... but not the idea of trading away a 2023 first round pick.

We didn't even give away two 1st rounders in moving up for Josh Allen.

In my opinion, our best bet is to add another veteran cornerback with starting experience.

Some have floated the idea of trading for James Bradberry.  That would work.

There are rumors we are interested in signing Stephon Gilmore.  That would work.  

If we can go into April 28 without any glaring holes on our roster, we can pretty much sit back and let talent fall to us at #25.  Looking at the numbers, a very good cornerback, wide receiver or guard is certain to drop.  But if we are pigeon-holed into one position, we could be forced into a trade-up or missing out.

• Agree 1

We have ALOT of contracts coming up in the next couple of years and we are going to need cheap players to fill holes when we resign Oliver, Diggs, Davis, Edmunds (not saying we resign them all). 
We need as many chances to pick good players in the draft. Going up to get sauce takes away picks that we need to fill upcoming holes. 

I’d draft a WR in the first, just for the 5th year option. DB and RB are priority after that.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the first round that we need to get good players in the majority of the rounds to  maintain a strong Bills team. 

Keep the picks. :)

46 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Unless Davis has a HUGE year there is no way he is commanding top of the league money next year.  Plus, he is under contract for 2 more years, not 1.  The dude had an amazing postseason but has been under 600 yards 2 years in a row.

Ummm…I said “after this year”…meaning this coming year. I know we have him for two full years. 

It’s def not outside of the realm of possibilities that Davis won’t command upwards of 20 million once he’s eligible. This WR market has been totally reset and we have no idea where it will be in a couple years. 

2 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

New York Upstate has the scenario where we trade this years 1st and 3rd plus next years 1st and 5th, to move way up and get DB Sauce Gardner! 
That is a lot , and I don’t watch much college ball, but the pundits think he is great. I think this would be a good deal to go along with the moves already made, all in for this year (and the next couple). We definitely need cornerback help, and not many draft picks will make an impact on this team, but seems the sauce could. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/nfl-draft-2022-bills-find-missing-ingredient-add-sauce-to-secondary-in-big-trade-mock-20.html

what do you think? Too much for a DB position?

This draft doesn’t have very much elite talent, so it doesn’t make sense to move up to get a top tier prospect who wouldn’t even be top tier most drafts. 

Cheap starters are going to play a pivotal role moving forward, so trading 1st round draft picks should be as a last resort type of thing. We should have good options at corner at pick 25 and the difference between what our options are at 25 vs what it costs to move up, isn’t enough to make it worth it. Most mocks have Kyler Gordon available at 25, and I’d love him as the pick. 

I’d be very shocked if we move up in the first. If we do, I’d be even more shocked if the move up was more than a handful of spots. 

• Agree 1

It makes no sense.

First, Bills would need to assume Gardner is a can't miss prospect. 

Second, that Gardner is THE key to a Super Bowl this year. 

Third, there are no other good options at CB (even by the third round)

Fourth, the Bills have exhausted all other options to give up a 2023 first and third for other assests.  

On the surface, none of these can be reasonably considered true. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

In my opinion, our best bet is to add another veteran cornerback with starting experience.

Some have floated the idea of trading for James Bradberry.  That would work.

There are rumors we are interested in signing Stephon Gilmore.  That would work.  

If we can go into April 28 without any glaring holes on our roster, we can pretty much sit back and let talent fall to us at #25.  Looking at the numbers, a very good cornerback, wide receiver or guard is certain to drop.  But if we are pigeon-holed into one position, we could be forced into a trade-up or missing out.

It may be that they can wait on CB until after the draft.  Outside of the two extreme CB fill-ins you mention, there are a lot of veterans still available.  Nelson/Fuller/Rhodes/Callahan/Haden/Jenkins/Buoye/Sherman

The FO may be waiting to have one of their choices drop into a predetermined Beaner range - say around $3-4M and still be an upgrade over the departed Wallace.  The Miami debacle of paying stupid money for a CB, that we roast regularly, probably pushed the time frame of good value for CBs back a little.  

Just because we don't have one at draft time does not mean we are pigeon-holed into drafting for need.  We would not be forced to trade up.  God I hope that doesn't happen.  The OP is a nightmare to me, trading up in panic mode for a CB.  Get the best WR available and keep the first 3-4 rounds for players to be worked into lineup on rookie contracts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.