Mock draft has Bills trade next years round 1 + , to move up in first - Too much?

Desert Bills Fan

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes it’s too much and Beane has been resistant to trade future ones even when he moved up for Allen. He did it for diggs who was an established player with a reasonable multi year deal in place. But cannot see it to move up for a rookie. 

Yup fully agree. I know you can never tell for sure with Beane, but really hard for me to see that happen. If he does throw a curve ball it would probably be just a few spots and nothing big. Like maybe moving from 25 to 17-20 range I would guess.

With the Diggs news Idk if that makes it more likely or less they would trade up.  Imo Cb is a spot on the roster Beane will add to.  I think I can talk myself more into trading up now.  Go get a guy.  Go for it.  F it.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think that moving up makes no sense. The team now has several huge contracts and must address multiple deficiencies in this draft. They would be much smarter to trade down to add more day 2 picks to address CB and OL. Depth at RB and WR are concerns, but I don't want to have to watch 2 turnstiles at RG and RT and a bubble player starting at CB all year. Josh's completion rate under duress vs in a clean pocket was the biggest difference among starting QB's last year. Usually OL isn't a sexy pick, but protecting Josh better will pay big dividends and we need at least 1 guy on the right side with a decent win rate against pass rushers unless we want our TE's and RB's pass protecting all year instead of catching passes and running. I assume the need at CB is obvious as well. We need at least 2 CB's and 1 that can start.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Agree 1

If I'm Beane, I'm not doing that trade.  Sauce Gardner will likely be a great cornerback, but Tre white is a quality # 1 cornerback, and Buffalo is going to need all the draft capital they can manage.  They have a bunch of players being paid big contracts now, and need to find starters in future drafts to pay on rookie deals to replace guys they won't be able to afford to re-sign.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

New York Upstate has the scenario where we trade this years 1st and 3rd plus next years 1st and 5th, to move way up and get DB Sauce Gardner! 
That is a lot , and I don’t watch much college ball, but the pundits think he is great. I think this would be a good deal to go along with the moves already made, all in for this year (and the next couple). We definitely need cornerback help, and not many draft picks will make an impact on this team, but seems the sauce could. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/nfl-draft-2022-bills-find-missing-ingredient-add-sauce-to-secondary-in-big-trade-mock-20.html

what do you think? Too much for a DB position?

I refuse to click now, and I’ll try to make a mental note to NEVER click on that site in the future. That’s crazy $%^#, and I don’t care how badly you need clicks. Be realistic. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mat68 said:

With the Diggs news Idk if that makes it more likely or less they would trade up.  Imo Cb is a spot on the roster Beane will add to.  I think I can talk myself more into trading up now.  Go get a guy.  Go for it.  F it.  

Zone corners are not THAT hard to find. We don’t need to give up all that. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I refuse to click now, and I’ll try to make a mental note to NEVER click on that site in the future. That’s crazy $%^#, and I don’t care how badly you need clicks. Be realistic. 

LOL both @RyanTalbotBills and @Matt Parrino post here sometimes.  I'm sure they'd like your critique.  I think they do some good work.  This is not "that thing" IMO, you're right, it's pretty tenuous.

You know, Beane has been talking and talking and talking about how we really need cheap labor now that we're moving into Josh Allen's second contract, so we need to hit on our draft picks.  That makes it seem very unlikely he would trade away next year's first round pick plus a 4th and 5th rounder this year.

On the other hand, this is the same guy who went on and on about how we weren't going to be big spenders in FA this season and we saw how that went.

But seriously, it's worth looking at Beane's big trade moves (I'm gonna count 2017, because I think McDermott had some input):

2017, to draft their "franchise CB", the Bills traded DOWN 17 spots from 10 to 27, gained a 2017 3rd round pick, and a 2018 1st round pick.

They traded the 3rd round pick to Atlanta to move up in the 2nd and draft Dawkins as a franchise LT.

2018, to draft their hoped-for "franchise QB", the Bills traded our former LT during the off-season to move up from 21 to 12.  He then traded 2 2nd round picks and #12 to get to #7.

In the same draft, to draft their hoped-for "franchise MLB", the Bills used the extra 1st round pick and traded UP 6 spots from 22 to 16, giving up a 2018 2nd round pick

Fundamentally, in all these moves, there was a theme: Beane fought like hell to keep from giving up a future 1st round pick.  He swapped players for picks in the off season, he swapped picks within the same draft.  He's not afraid to move around.

But if Beane wasn't willing to forgo a 1st round pick in a future draft to obtain "his guy" at CB, QB, or MLB, and at a point where all these guys were getting rookie pay, I don't see it happening for a CB in this draft when the Bills have Big Bills to pay.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Zone corners are not THAT hard to find. We don’t need to give up all that. 

I think you do it if you think there's a guy who will really put you over the top defensively - that zone CB who can play press man or who has the speed to stay with some of the burners.  Is "Sauce" Gardiner that unique player who will do all that?

Dunno

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ahmad-gardner/32004741-5215-2629-6c74-87ce99a3689f

Strengths

Tall corner with long limbs and sticky hands.

Desired blend of confidence and competitiveness.

Allowed just 6.6 yards per reception in 2021, according to PFF.

Presses like a boxing match with jabs and flurries.

Punches and posts through release phase.

Digs the grave and buries an outside release.

Accelerates from opening to stay connected to the route.

Improved eye balance in 2021.

Recognizes play development and alters assignment accordingly.

Creates very cluttered workspace on contested catches.

Attacks passing lanes from off coverage with burst and stride.

Has two career pick-sixes.

Handled business when matched up against Alabama WR Jameson Williams in national semifinal.

Weaknesses

Skinny legs with below-average build.

Unnecessary disregard for technique.

Plethora of holding and interference calls over three years.

Grabs and holds when pattern matching goes awry.

Some hip tug when trying to flip and run.

Footwork needs to become a priority.

Average gather-and-go quickness from his pedal.

Inconsistent coming to balance in pursuit.

Catch-and-drag tackler.

Some of that sounds unappealing to me.  Plus, the Bills have NOT been subtle about showing interest in their picks in prior drafts - have they shown interest here?

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

If I'm Beane, I'm not doing that trade.  Sauce Gardner will likely be a great cornerback, but Tre white is a quality # 1 cornerback, and Buffalo is going to need all the draft capital they can manage.  They have a bunch of players being paid big contracts now, and need to find starters in future drafts to pay on rookie deals to replace guys they won't be able to afford to re-sign.

That's more or less my take.  If there's one position where I have fairly high confidence in this team to recognize and develop talent, it would be in the secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

New York Upstate has the scenario where we trade this years 1st and 3rd plus next years 1st and 5th, to move way up and get DB Sauce Gardner! 
That is a lot , and I don’t watch much college ball, but the pundits think he is great. I think this would be a good deal to go along with the moves already made, all in for this year (and the next couple). We definitely need cornerback help, and not many draft picks will make an impact on this team, but seems the sauce could. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/nfl-draft-2022-bills-find-missing-ingredient-add-sauce-to-secondary-in-big-trade-mock-20.html

what do you think? Too much for a DB position?

Draft picks are not a lock.  To lock up the missing piece where we can have a complete defense is worth it to me.  We don’t really have any other starting openings on the roster.  

instead of giving up the third, I’d rather give up a player we could lose like Edmunds.  Hell cost too much at this point given we are most likely not extending him.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, thenorthremembers said:

The player is the key.   You can move money around.  You cant teach Sauce Gardner to be Jalen Ramsey.    Huge risk to give up multiple picks for a player who doesnt have the ball in his hands ever  

Agree to disagree.  A difference make doesn’t have to touch the ball.  That’s why DEs and CBs get paid so much.  WRs are the over pay dujour, give it time, it will be figured out a guy that touches the ball less than 10 times a game isn’t worth it either, the elites at any position are worth better money, and CBs will be getting big money to shut down these good/not great 20M WRs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.