Mock draft has Bills trade next years round 1 + , to move up in first - Too much?

Desert Bills Fan

New York Upstate has the scenario where we trade this years 1st and 3rd plus next years 1st and 5th, to move way up and get DB Sauce Gardner! 
That is a lot , and I don’t watch much college ball, but the pundits think he is great. I think this would be a good deal to go along with the moves already made, all in for this year (and the next couple). We definitely need cornerback help, and not many draft picks will make an impact on this team, but seems the sauce could. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/nfl-draft-2022-bills-find-missing-ingredient-add-sauce-to-secondary-in-big-trade-mock-20.html

what do you think? Too much for a DB position?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 9

4 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

New York Upstate has the scenario where we trade this years 1st and 3rd plus next years 1st and 5th, to move way up and get DB Sauce Gardner! 
That is a lot , and I don’t watch much college ball, but the pundits think he is great. I think this would be a good deal to go along with the moves already made, all in for this year (and the next couple). We definitely need cornerback help, and not many draft picks will make an impact on this team, but seems the sauce could. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/04/nfl-draft-2022-bills-find-missing-ingredient-add-sauce-to-secondary-in-big-trade-mock-20.html

what do you think? Too much for a DB position?

I don't think its too much - windows open lets boogie.  The only issue i have is the 3rd this year.  Just a lot of depth holes and a 3rd can be a quality player somewhere lame like guard, or LB where we're pretty thin.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

Given we're likely losing 2 of the following 3 (Edmunds, Poyer, Knox) next year - and have our starting LG on a one year deal.. That's a lot of draft capital.

Sauce is definitely a potentially elite CB though.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Too much.  Saints just traded with Eagles to have 2 picks ahead of the Bills.  The saints don’t have CB needs. I think the Bills could still

trade down if they want, but giving up 2 first rounders plus more for that pick is tough regardless about how good Sauce is.  Frankly I think it’s easier to give up Edmunds to actually gain cap space, picks and move up in the class than it is to give up all those picks.  

Edited by Aurelius
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

I’d rather not give up next years 1 I’d do a 2 as you can always trade back for a player that may have slipped that another team wants.

But constantly trading next years picks has only worked for the Rams and they where one Jaquiski Tartt fair catch drop in the 49ers game from them blowing the season. 

I originally thought that any trade up would be for Sauce Gardner.

From what I have seen the Bills have not met with him at all.

They are doing their due diligence on Kyle Hamilton. Thus, it appears he would be their target on a trade up.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Dislike 1

It's hard to get over how last year ended as it really was a great opportunity to win a Super Bowl, but this season is probably going to be as good as it gets for a while in the AFC as far as the Bills making a Super Bowl. 

-Watson will likely miss part of the year in Cleveland

-New regime in Miami will take some time to find their grove with a talent loaded roster

-Chiefs will have to adjust offense to not having Tyreek

-Wilson will need some time to get used to his new offense.

-Burrow will probably keep getting better as the years go on, better to face him now than later.

-Herbert is in the same situation as Burrow, and I expect him to keep getting better

-Lastly, and most importantly, the Bills have a Super Bowl roster right now and an elite QB who is capable of winning it all.  Time is not our ally, the AFC is catching up.  It isn't a Conference with just the Bills and Chiefs anymore.  This thing is wide open and the distance between all these teams is only going to get smaller as the young QBs get better.

I'd trade a high pick from next year to get a great player now who can make a difference this year when we have the best chance to win it all.  It's not going all in ala the Rams, but it would be a big move by Beane to show he recognizes that the path to a Super Bowl is only going to get harder moving forward and this year might be our best chance to get it done.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It's hard to get over how last year ended as it really was a great opportunity to win a Super Bowl, but this season is probably going to be as good as it gets for a while in the AFC as far as the Bills making a Super Bowl. 

-Watson will likely miss part of the year in Cleveland

-New regime in Miami will take some time to find their grove with a talent loaded roster

-Chiefs will have to adjust offense to not having Tyreek

-Wilson will need some time to get used to his new offense.

-Burrow will probably keep getting better as the years go on, better to face him now than later.

-Herbert is in the same situation as Burrow, and I expect him to keep getting better

-Lastly, and most importantly, the Bills have a Super Bowl roster right now and an elite QB who is capable of winning it all.  Time is not our ally, the AFC is catching up.  It isn't a Conference with just the Bills and Chiefs anymore.  This thing is wide open and the distance between all these teams is only going to get smaller as the young QBs get better.

I'd trade a high pick from next year to get a great player now who can make a difference this year when we have the best chance to win it all.  It's not going all in ala the Rams, but it would be a big move by Beane to show he recognizes that the path to a Super Bowl is only going to get harder moving forward and this year might be our best chance to get it done.

Every year is a new year.  I hate the mentality that "this is our best shot"... we don't know that.  Josh Allen is, arguably, the best QB in the league and we have him for the next decade.  

I much prefer the Beane approach of sustained bites at the apple, while managing the roster responsibly enough to take a shot on a mega-move for Von Miller when the chance arises, without mortgaging the future of our young QB.

This is also the time when Burrow/Herbert/Carr are on low end contracts allowing them to load up on talent... in a few years we will all be in the same boat, with that Josh Allen contract looking pretty, pretty good compared to the likely deals for Burrow, Herbert, Lamar etc..

This is a Super Bowl roster with or without Sauce Gardner.  If he's their guy, go get him.. Beane knows we likely need a new LB, S & LG next year so i'm sure he has a plan. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I hate the idea of mortgaging the future to move up for a DB. Especially with McDs history of successfully developing that position. We need to continue to build the offense around Allen. Losing that many picks would be a death blow if Diggs becomes and issue and Davis prices himself out of a second deal. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Every year is a new year.  I hate the mentality that "this is our best shot"... we don't know that.  Josh Allen is, arguably, the best QB in the league and we have him for the next decade.  

I much prefer the Beane approach of sustained bites at the apple, while managing the roster responsibly enough to take a shot on a mega-move for Von Miller when the chance arises, without mortgaging the future of our young QB.

This is also the time when Burrow/Herbert/Carr are on low end contracts allowing them to load up on talent... in a few years we will all be in the same boat, with that Josh Allen contract looking pretty, pretty good compared to the likely deals for Burrow, Herbert, Lamar etc..

Hey SC,

That is definitely the other side of the coin and I can't say that I'm right and you're wrong on this, just differing opinions.  Every year is different, but I think it's fair to say that Cincy, Chargers, and Phins are going to get better.  Cleveland might become a bruiser too if Watson returns to form.  Wilson makes the Broncos legit. 

I'm not for blowing up the salary cap like the Rams seem to do every year, but trading some draft capital seems like a reasonable step when we are knocking on the door.  None of us knows what the future holds, but I think it's fair to say that right now we have the most talented roster in football, which to me is all the more reason to push some more chips into the center of the table this year and try to win it all while we have this roster.  The more talent you have the less you have to depend on luck.

• Like (+1) 1

Going by the draft pick value chart that's what it would take.

The 1st this year is worth 720pts and the 3rd is worth 145pts.  So 865pts.

The 1st next year if the make the AFC Championship game and lose is 640pts and the 5th would be 23 pts for a total of 663 pts.

Combine the 2 years and you get 1528 pts which worth 28pts more than the 1500 the 7th overall is worth.

If Sauce is a good as everyone thinks he is he can start right away.  Play zone and help shut down players like Waddle, Hill, Parker and whoever else is added this offseason.

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm ok with this move if the Bills really feel Sauce is a difference maker. 2 lockdown Corners in a pass happy league and a stacked Conference. 

Its a bit of a gamble, and educated gamble.... But I would not be upset if it did happen

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey SC,

That is definitely the other side of the coin and I can't say that I'm right and you're wrong on this, just differing opinions.  Every year is different, but I think it's fair to say that Cincy, Chargers, and Phins are going to get better.  Cleveland might become a bruiser too if Watson returns to form.  Wilson makes the Broncos legit. 

I'm not for blowing up the salary cap like the Rams seem to do every year, but trading some draft capital seems like a reasonable step when we are knocking on the door.  None of us knows what the future holds, but I think it's fair to say that right now we have the most talented roster in football, which to me is all the more reason to push some more chips into the center of the table this year and try to win it all while we have this roster.  The more talent you have the less you have to depend on luck.

I don't necessarily disagree with going in on Sauce Gardner in a massive trade-up either.  My reasoning is different than yours though... I actually think these few years are as tough as it's going to be.. Burrow & Herbert, and to a lesser extent, Carr, are all SB capable QB's, but unlike Allen & Mahomes, are on rookie/team friendly deals these next few years.  They can load up in ways we can't.

That being said, if we trade up for Sauce, I can't say I hate it because he is a difference maker and I don't think we're mortgaging our future by making sure we get difference makers.   It would actually be a refreshing move away from having the most well-rounded/deepest roster albeit absent top end talent some others have.  

Given Beane's ability to draft well in Rounds 4-7....maybe we should be more aggressive in moving up for game-changers, because we know our GM can round out the roster with guys like Gabe Davis, Dane Jackson, Matt Milano etc..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Like a 5 year rookie deal at CB?

What about a 5 year rookie deal at WR?  Who do we have after this year besides Diggs and Davis?  And there is prob now way we can keep both of them beyond this year. We can’t have 45-50 million a year tied up into 2 receivers. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.