Pounding the table for Christian Watson at 25

Vickveto

11 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

Not a fan of Piece in the second.

I don't like the pick there either but he is an impressive athlete and a good coaching staff and elite QB might be able to turn him into a really productive player.   

You wonder what a guy like that would look like if he had had Brian Hartline as his WR coach and better QB play.    I'm not a fan of Ridder.........he reminds me of a slightly juiced up Brad Kaaya.

• Agree 1

WR early makes no sense unless it's a severe BPA scenario. Top 4 is set with Crowder getting respectable $. GD is still under contract in '23 and Diggs likely getting an extension soon. 

They've proven to be in the market for a dynamic RB (DJ isn't the answer). Singletary is a UFA in '23. WR before RB in this draft would be surprising.  

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't underestimate Davis.........I judge him on his merit.........which is as a 500-600 yard type big play receiver.......albeit facing mostly 3rd-4th CB's in his first two seasons..........with notable bouts of inconsistency and nagging foot/ankle injuries.

Cinci has 3 young/prime age WR's who have already put up 1,000 yard plus seasons in their careers and combined for 3,400 last season.  LA Chargers have two proven 1,000 yard receivers in Allen/Williams.  Miami has 100 catch + 1,000 yard Jaylen Waddle and added the big producing Tyreek Hill.

So yeah, it's not an act of excess AT ALL for the Bills to be seeking a player to challenge the inconsistent and only modestly productive Gabe Davis and supplant 30 year old journeyman Jake Kumerow on the depth chart.    It's not a position of good depth for the Bills.

So - I am on board with netting another WR for Josh. I’m hoping there’s one to our liking in the 1st round.

I’m projecting Gabe to what I think he’s capable of and expect - which is a top tier #2. 

Modest numbers thus far? Sure - I see more coming. He’s gonna be good. 

Im not really interested in who people grade where.  From people that do it for a living he is in the running as a top 5 wr.  Imo that makes him an option for Buffalo.  Production in college is important but its also in most cases apples to oranges comparison.

The athlete is worthy of consideration at 25.  Beane and the current regime go athlete in rd 1.  Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Rouseau are all freaky for their position.  Watson might be the freakiest guy in the draft.  With Allen he could be a weapon down the field.  

I think we need a Cb more but Watson or some other wr might be the better player.  

• Agree 1

Pound the table all you want.  You do not get a say in the matter. I would like to look back at all the guys people on TBD have pounded the table in prior drafts and see if those players panned out,  Trust Beane and his staff.

4 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Pound the table all you want.  You do not get a say in the matter. I would like to look back at all the guys people on TBD have pounded the table in prior drafts and see if those players panned out,  Trust Beane and his staff.

The Bills have picked 2 guys in the 1st that I have been in on. Shaq - did not work out, Ed - working out. Also Tre who wasn't my first choice in 2017, I wanted to stay at #10 and take a QB, but once we traded back I said that is the guy to target. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is gonna go between #23 and #36 IMO. 

I could see him going high as 22 to the packers.Charles Davis for nfl.com has Williams coming to us at 25 today. I don’t see that happening but I would love it. 

Williams burk and Watson are the wrs  worth the first round pick to me. Wilson Olave and Dotson are   2round grades to me. 

Edited by Vickveto
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

I could see him going high as 22 to the packers.Charles Davis for nfl.com has Williams coming to us at 25 today. I don’t see that happening but I would love it. 

Williams burk and Watson are the wrs  worth the first round pick to me. Wilson Olave and Dotson are   2round grades to me. 

Agree except for Olave. 

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree except for Olave. 

I agree with Chris Sims I think he’s going to be in elite slot receiver so I can see him being worth the pick. I just don’t know about a true number one. I just don’t want Drake London. He is starting to fall down mocks let him keep falling if he gets to us. No wide receivers in the first round that struggle to separate. I think he has bust written all over him.

10 minutes ago, Vickveto said:

I agree with Chris Sims I think he’s going to be in elite slot receiver so I can see him being worth the pick. I just don’t know about a true number one. I just don’t want Drake London. He is starting to fall down mocks let him keep falling if he gets to us. No wide receivers in the first round that struggle to separate. I think he has bust written all over him.

I think Olave is more than a slot. He is the best route runner in the class and it isn't close. 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree Watson is not a fit from the slot. We have two slot guys IMO - Crowder on a one year deal and McKenzie. We have nothing outside other than Diggs and Davis. If one of them goes down Jake Kumerow is on the football field. And we just don't have a definitive answer on Gabe. I am a fan but what if he can't handle a full time #2 workload. What then? 

I am not banging the table for Watson. I think there will likely be other options there at #25. But I can get myself to a position where based on the board that is a pick I would support.

Also when I grade players I don't just grade them as fits for the Bills. And generally speaking outside guys have more value than slots. 

I guess it comes down to whether you think Dotson can play both inside and outside, which I think he can and he proved at Penn St against some solid competition.

I think his versatility will be valued by our offensive staff, guess we shall see.

I just can't get on board drafting a guy (like Watson), who is highly likely relegated to play outside only, unless he's can't miss.  I'm not thinking he is, he's the definition of boom/bust.   Not when we have Davis still.  Davis may not have proven himself, enough yet, but think we should avoid blocking him from seeing the field (ie: Sanders, last yr).

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, MasterStrategist said:

Give me Jahan Dotson 1000x before Watson, at least in Round 1.  If we wait until Round 2, Watson would be a nice trade up candidate.

Dotson is the 2nd best deep ball WR in this class, and if you watch him play, reminds of AB (w/o the drama). 

There are at least 7 WR’s I would take ahead of Watson  and yes Jahan Dotson is way ahead of him 

Edited by Putin
  • Disagree 1

I really like Watson as an upside prospect...Especially with this team...I think it's a fair bet he'll have the best opportunity to reach his potential in Buffalo...

That being said, to even get to the Watson question in the 1st, I think the following have to be gone at CB and WR...CB's Booth, Gardner, and Stingley...WR's Williams, Olave, and Wilson...

Then it's down to Watson or CB's McDuffie and Elam, WR's Dotson and Burks...In that situation I would probably lean towards Watson...But I'm higher on him than most (again I think Buffalo is his dream landing spot). But it's a gamble...I think he's more of a 2nd round guy if you're being safe...I also think George Pickens is every bit the prospect as any of the five 2nd tier players, including Watson, I just mentioned. B-)

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.