NFL Arrests since 2000 (Bills #26)

On 4/5/2022 at 1:33 AM, Billy Claude said:

As I noted in the Carrington thread, if you click on sort by year, you will see that the number of arrests has gone down systematically from 61 in 2013 to 18 last year. 

-But nobody was being arrested during Covid

-And there's so much 'de-criminalization' going on as a trend, which would certainly account for a descending trend.  Especially considering that its largely drugs being decriminalized, which only leaves DUI or DV for the self-respecting 21-30 year old male millionaire.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Kmart128 said:

The NFL seems to have a crime problem. 28 teams average atleast 1 arrest a year. Thats not very good.

Nope. 
1 arrest per year is actually a far lower rate than a comparable non-NFL population. 

1 per 90 man squad is 1.1%

# arrests, all crimes for 21-24 yo was 1.2 million in 2019. Us population age 21-24 was 21 million. 
https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=1

A little fancy math and you get an arrest rate of 5%. 

I wonder if crimes by NFL players are actually under-reported. 

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, maddenboy said:

-And there's so much 'de-criminalization' going on as a trend, which would certainly account for a descending trend.  Especially considering that its largely drugs being decriminalized, which only leaves DUI or DV for the self-respecting 21-30 year old male millionaire.

Agree that the numbers might have been down the last two years due to Covid but there was a clear downward trend even before 2020.

Here are the 5 year averages and standard deviations

2000-2004     42 +/- 2

2005-2009     60 +/- 10  (max 71 in 2006)

2010-2014      52 +/- 6  (61 in 2013)

2015-2019      33 +/- 5  (pre-covid min of 28 in 2016 and 29 in  last precovid year)

2020-2021      19 +/- 2  (probably affected by covid)

In any case, even 33 out of approximately 2000 players is still much lower than expected for that number of 21 to 30 year old males though probably higher than those that make over 150K.

In general, 21 to 30 year old males do a lot of stupid things independent of whether they are NFL players or not.

Edited by Billy Claude

4 hours ago, maddenboy said:

You forgot guns many which are unregistered which some tried to bring on planes.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

You forgot guns many which are unregistered which some tried to bring on planes.

yeah, i was gonna mention guns, but i really dont think there's 'de-criminalization' there.  In fact, every time there's a mass shooting, the will to de-crim actually goes down.

But i do think there's a trend toward not prosecuting, or not charging what's on the books, in favor of common-sense enforcement.  Like when Plaxico shot himself, or when players get stopped in cars with guns not properly registered, but who otherwise were minding their own business and not DUI or otherwise a threat to public safety (like, 'my gun is registered in Alabama but i'm visiting my second home here in Florida [mandatory minimum penalties, including jail].  oops.  sorry.')

Anyone else think the Texans are getting away with crap? Bottom of the list and then Deshawn gets no grand jury charges to even hear a single case?  Sounds like some team gets the good ‘ol Texas wink and nod to suppress evidence. I was always taught the simplest answer is usually the right one. This one reeks of corruption. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.