The Masters 2022

T&C

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Dj looks hungry

They have very affordable pimento cheese sandwiches nearby!  :)

The Augusta National gear in the clubhouse is no bargain, but the food and drinks along the course have surprisingly low prices. Dirt cheap. 

We were supposed to meet up with my wife’s brother, but plans got messed up and we never found each other. NO CELL PHONES is a strict rule (you lose the passes for violating, for at least the whole week), so when the initial plan failed it was hard to recover. Had to wait until we were off the course and could use a phone at a bar to hook up. August National is amazing. August, GA…….not so much! I have to go to a black tie wedding there in the next few months. They think they are deep south genteel. I’m dreading it. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

They have very affordable pimento cheese sandwiches nearby!  :)

The Augusta National gear in the clubhouse is no bargain, but the food and drinks along the course have surprisingly low prices. Dirt cheap. 

We were supposed to meet up with my wife’s brother, but plans got messed up and we never found each other. NO CELL PHONES is a strict rule (you lose the passes for violating, for at least the whole week), so when the initial plan failed it was hard to recover. Had to wait until we were off the course and could use a phone at a bar to hook up. August National is amazing. August, GA…….not so much! I have to go to a black tie wedding there in the next few months. They think they are deep south genteel. I’m dreading it. 

Thanks for the inside info about Augusta. 

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I promise, TV does not convey how difficult that terrain is.

That’s my biggest gripe about the decades of Masters TV coverage.

They have never successfully been able to present the course so that the viewer can understand it. 

4 minutes ago, snafu said:

They have never successfully been able to present the course so that the viewer can understand it. 

Forget 4k TV! We need holographic TV! 

I forget what hole it was, but the drive landed 90 feet below the green. That is like hitting your approach shot onto the roof of a 9 story building. It’s insane! And the greens? Imagine being in Cincinnati and putting towards Charlotte to get to Cleveland! 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, snafu said:

Actually, they do a pretty good job IMO--but I've walked the course and can visualize everything I see on TV, so I guess I'm biased.    

IMO, the hardest thing for TV to show is the variation in elevation from the 1st tee, up near the clubhouse, to the bottom of Amen Corner at #13.    It's a loooooong way down to the bottom of the course.   The other thing is the undulations of the turtle-back greens.  There's not a flat one on the course.   And with the pin placements, it's unique versus every other championship layout I've ever seen.   Just insane.

The last thing that may not translate as well on TV is how imaculate the grounds are.    Like not a single piece of pine straw out of place, anywhere.   It's like science fiction--nothing in nature can be that well-groomed, right?    Nope, Augusta National is.   I've never seen the particular shade of green of Augusta National's grass anywhere else.  It's mindblowing.

Attending the Masters is the highlight of my sports-viewing life, so far.   Better than the Super Bowl (although a Bills win would have--and will, change that).   

The Masters.com website does some nice things to show the course, BTW.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Actually, they do a pretty good job IMO--but I've walked the course and can visualize everything I see on TV, so I guess I'm biased.    

IMO, the hardest thing for TV to show is the variation in elevation from the 1st tee, up near the clubhouse, to the bottom of Amen Corner at #13.    It's a loooooong way down to the bottom of the course.   The other thing is the undulations of the turtle-back greens.  There's not a flat one on the course.   And with the pin placements, it's unique versus every other championship layout I've ever seen.   Just insane.

The last thing that may not translate as well on TV is how imaculate the grounds are.    Like not a single piece of pine straw out of place, anywhere.   It's like science fiction--nothing in nature can be that well-groomed, right?    Nope, Augusta National is.   I've never seen the particular shade of green of Augusta National's grass anywhere else.  It's mindblowing.

Attending the Masters is the highlight of my sports-viewing life, so far.   Better than the Super Bowl (although a Bills win would have--and will, change that).   

you paint a great picture for those of us who have never been! 

7 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

I’ve never been on the Masters.com website.  I’ll check it out. 
As for the elevation and layout, I have to disagree.  

3 hours ago, snafu said:

As for the elevation and layout, I have to disagree.  

Drop from the highest point on the course (back right of the first green) to the lowest point (Rae’s Creek in front of the 12th green): 175 feet

Niagara Falls: 176 feet

https://golf.com/news/tournaments/breaking-down-elevation-augusta-national-golf-club/

GO077_APRIL19-1-1-1024x514.webp

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My first faculty position was at the med school in Augusta.  Lived in the subdivision across Washington Road and drove by the entrance every day on the way to work.  You really cannot fully appreciate the course unless you see it live.  The elevation changes and the green contours are so much more than what TV can show.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.