Jordan Poyer going into last year of his deal

Matt_In_NH

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Again confused, because it's not like we need to come up with "new money" to sign Poyer, actually extending him would likely create more cap room in 2022.

I think Beanes comment was about signing any new FAs, at least as of now.  They have decent wiggle room available, if they want to extend or convert a couple players salaries to bonus $s.  Beane is very methodical/calculated with his approach, so I trust he will budget accordingly.

I know that Beane doesn't like to get too far ahead of himself, but it seems like he could create more cap space, for this season, by extending Poyer and Diggs, should a good player become available this off-season.  

Oh man, just as I type this, mention that Terry McLaurin could become available! He's fantastic.

Just now, wppete said:

How are we going to pay everyone? We have to make some trades after this season or let some guys walk. We got Poyer, Diggs, Edmunds, Knox, Oliver and others to pay some huge money to. 

Even though there are ways to circumvent the salary cap like the Saints did for years and the Bills are now doing, at some point you have to let certain players go and I definitely don't see both Hyde and Poyer here beyond 2022 which is why it's imperative to try and win a championship this season why we still have them.

• Agree 1

I’d hate to see him go, but I won’t be shocked if they move on.  He is 30 and abused his body, we may have seen his best years already.  I would not be opposed to a 3 year extension, moving a lot of his salary to a bonus this year, and adding more in signing bonus to it and trimming his cap hit down to call it 7M a year for the next 3 years if he would go for it, still gets paid and we keep a high performer on a reasonable deal. 

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

How are we going to pay everyone? We have to make some trades after this season or let some guys walk. We got Poyer, Diggs, Edmunds, Knox, Oliver and others to pay some huge money to. 

You gotta keep Oliver...

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure about the whole "Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." comment because Ive only ever seen nothing but admiration, praise, and appreciation for the duo for Hyde and Poyer from fans, coaches, Beane, teammates, etc.  I think everyone knows exactly what we have, which is one of the top safety tandems in the NFL for the past 4 years and guys who should have more pro bowls to go along with that.  So, I am confused to who this comment is directed at given just about everyone knows just how important they are and have been.

I also am not convinced this year will the tandems last year together.  I recognize it certainly is possible, and these types of things happen all the time once you have a big QB contract on the books where tough decisions have to be made with higher priced vets nearing the end of their peak.  With our safeties both being over 30, its not out of the question they take the cap savings by trying to find a young replacement for one of them.  

But, the cap is also expected to go up a lot next year, so I think its premature to start looking at guys like Poyer not being retained.  If he has a year this season like he did last year, I think Beane will be more inclined to keep Poyer here another couple seasons.  if there are any signs of slowing down, then that would obviously increase the odds we don't bring him back.  

Personally, I think Poyer's future with the Bills may just be tied to Edmunds future.  If Edmunds has a big year this season and Beane decides to resign him, I think that would potentially cost us Poyer.  But if we elect to trade Edmunds or let him walk in FA (or somehow sign him to a much cheaper deal than people think he will get on the open market), then Poyers chance at a return go way up IMHO.  I seriously doubt they will be comfortable losing both Poyer and Edmunds in the same offseason, both those guys are on-field leaders of this defense.  

I wasn't suggesting anyone had been critical of them. It is simply the case that you can think you know how important they are as a pair, but until you see the defense without one of them nobody will really appreciate how important they were as a pair. The innate chemistry they have is almost impossible to replicate. 

Could both be back another year? Sure. Personally I doubt it though. I think 2022 is the last act. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Again confused, because it's not like we need to come up with "new money" to sign Poyer, actually extending him would likely create more cap room in 2022.

I think Beanes comment was about signing any new FAs, at least as of now.  They have decent wiggle room available, if they want to extend or convert a couple players salaries to bonus $s.  Beane is very methodical/calculated with his approach, so I trust he will budget accordingly.

I agree…I just think he would let Poyer deal play out…no need in shuffling the cap around if you don’t have to. The bottom line, Poyer is under contract this year…I think he’ll get him locked up before he hits free agency next year…

we’re pretty much saying the same thing…only difference your saying Beane can move things around to get it done this year. Whereas I think Beane will wait until next year where he doesn’t have to move things around. 

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't suggesting anyone had been critical of them. It is simply the case that you can think you know how important they are as a pair, but until you see the defense without one of them nobody will really appreciate how important they were as a pair. The innate chemistry they have is almost impossible to replicate. 

Could both be back another year? Sure. Personally I doubt it though. I think 2022 is the last act. 

Thats just it, I think everyone knows and understands its them as a pair that makes them great.  I just don't think that is overlooked or misunderstood about the pair of dynamic safeties we have.

I still think its possible Poyer returns on a 2 year deal to play out Hyde's contract.  He had arguably his best season of his career last year and shows no signs of slowing down.  Like I said before though, I think his odds of returning are directly tied to what ultimately happens with Edmunds.  

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I want Poyer and Hyde out there on their 60th birthdays...

We are going to miss having such good safety play for so long. Great safeties are hard to find, let alone 2 at the same time. 

And let alone the combination. Because you could draft two superior players individually and end up with lesser production. And that is kind of my point about people not knowing what we have until it's gone. I actually think the Bills could draft Kyle Hamilton and Daxton Hill (I know they couldn't but bear with me) and not get what Poyer and Hyde have given them. And Hamilton is arguably the best safety to come out in over a decade and Hill is a bona fide 1st round talent too. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Even though there are ways to circumvent the salary cap like the Saints did for years and the Bills are now doing, at some point you have to let certain players go and I definitely don't see both Hyde and Poyer here beyond 2022 which is why it's imperative to try and win a championship this season why we still have them.

Also just because you can sign guys does not mean you should.   Deciding who to give contracts to and who to let go is crticial to having a sustained ability to compete for the SB.  

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Agree, I hope he does.  I He has spent most of his time here and meet with the most pro success.

But the money wheel keeps changing, do you pay cb or both players at safety? We are paying lb/de next yr so what gives. 

Great safety tandems are highly regarded, and when superior make cbs look good, but when they slow or become injury problems they can be a financial liability.

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.