Jordan Poyer going into last year of his deal

Matt_In_NH

I have not seen this discussed much, as the only first team All Pro for last year, is there consensus he should be extended at an all pro rate?   He is 30 years old.  Franchise tag for a safety was 12.1 million this year, not sure if anyone has a projection on what it will be next year.   What do you think, Bills should be trying to extend him?  Just let him play this year out?

23 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

I have not seen this discussed much, as the only first team All Pro for last year, is there consensus he should be extended at an all pro rate?   He is 30 years old.  Franchise tag for a safety was 12.1 million this year, not sure if anyone has a projection on what it will be next year.   What do you think, Bills should be trying to extend him?  Just let him play this year out?

It’ll be interesting to see if he is okay with playing out this year without a new deal.  I keep expecting to see an extension done for him (and Diggs).  This Bills FO has been very tight lipped about extensions (which is a good thing) so it could be in process.  Poyer’s wife has been vocal on social media about his contract in the past.  Nothing like that these days so if I had to bet, I’d say they are negotiating and it is going reasonably well. 

• Like (+1) 1

I see another extension coming for him, Poyer & Hyde are McDermott’s people! Like those 2 helped build that entire defensive vision for him, no way he let’s that go right now! He rode Kyle Williams until Kyle was ready to go, I think Poyer & Hyde as well will get that same respect type of treatment. I just think right now, they can’t give him an extension, gotta let some of these 1 year deals falls off after this year & get some of that money rolling back into the cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I see another extension coming for him, Poyer & Hyde are McDermott’s people! Like those 2 helped build that entire defensive vision for him, no way he let’s that go right now! He rode Kyle Williams until Kyle was ready to go, I think Poyer & Hyde as well will get that same respect type of treatment. I just think right now, they can’t give him an extension, gotta let some of these 1 year deals falls off after this year & get some of that money rolling back into the cap. 

As of right now, with that logic, then the Bills would have rode Jerry Hughes til he was ready to go and yet here we are with him sitting in FA.

5 minutes ago, delirious said:
9 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

As of right now, with that logic, then the Bills would have rode Jerry Hughes til he was ready to go and yet here we are with him sitting in FA.

That's not really the same situation. We've invested heavily on the line the last few years and then bringing in V.Miller. There's simply not room for Jerry. We don't have nearly as much depth at Safety, and Poyer's play hasn't fallen off like Jerry. Loved Jerry here all these years, but he hasn't been scooped up yet for a reason. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Agree with 1st part, but you lost me on the extension/needing 1 yr deals to expire.  If we extend him, it would likely open more cap space this season...allowing us to potentially target a vet corner and/or draft class money.  

Unless I'm misreading your post, it makes sense to extend now if we plan to anyways.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I'd let it play out with Jordan. I think one way or another 2022 will be the last year of the Poyer - Hyde axis. And it will be a case of don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Not sure about the whole "Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." comment because Ive only ever seen nothing but admiration, praise, and appreciation for the duo for Hyde and Poyer from fans, coaches, Beane, teammates, etc.  I think everyone knows exactly what we have, which is one of the top safety tandems in the NFL for the past 4 years and guys who should have more pro bowls to go along with that.  So, I am confused to who this comment is directed at given just about everyone knows just how important they are and have been.

I also am not convinced this year will the tandems last year together.  I recognize it certainly is possible, and these types of things happen all the time once you have a big QB contract on the books where tough decisions have to be made with higher priced vets nearing the end of their peak.  With our safeties both being over 30, its not out of the question they take the cap savings by trying to find a young replacement for one of them.  

But, the cap is also expected to go up a lot next year, so I think its premature to start looking at guys like Poyer not being retained.  If he has a year this season like he did last year, I think Beane will be more inclined to keep Poyer here another couple seasons.  if there are any signs of slowing down, then that would obviously increase the odds we don't bring him back.  

Personally, I think Poyer's future with the Bills may just be tied to Edmunds future.  If Edmunds has a big year this season and Beane decides to resign him, I think that would potentially cost us Poyer.  But if we elect to trade Edmunds or let him walk in FA (or somehow sign him to a much cheaper deal than people think he will get on the open market), then Poyers chance at a return go way up IMHO.  I seriously doubt they will be comfortable losing both Poyer and Edmunds in the same offseason, both those guys are on-field leaders of this defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not sure about the whole "Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." comment because Ive only ever seen nothing but admiration, praise, and appreciation for the duo for Hyde and Poyer from fans, coaches, Beane, teammates, etc.  I think everyone knows exactly what we have, which is one of the top safety tandems in the NFL for the past 4 years and guys who should have more pro bowls to go along with that.  So, I am confused to who this comment is directed at given just about everyone knows just how important they are and have been.

I also am not convinced this year will the tandems last year together.  I recognize it certainly is possible, and these types of things happen all the time once you have a big QB contract on the books where tough decisions have to be made with higher priced vets nearing the end of their peak.  With our safeties both being over 30, its not out of the question they take the cap savings by trying to find a young replacement for one of them.  

But, the cap is also expected to go up a lot next year, so I think its premature to start looking at guys like Poyer not being retained.  If he has a year this season like he did last year, I think Beane will be more inclined to keep Poyer here another couple seasons.  if there are any signs of slowing down, then that would obviously increase the odds we don't bring him back.  

Personally, I think Poyer's future with the Bills may just be tied to Edmunds future.  If Edmunds has a big year this season and Beane decides to resign him, I think that would potentially cost us Poyer.  But if we elect to trade Edmunds or let him walk in FA (or somehow sign him to a much cheaper deal than people think he will get on the open market), then Poyers chance at a return go way up IMHO.  I seriously doubt they will be comfortable losing both Poyer and Edmunds in the same offseason, both those guys are on-field leaders of this defense.  

I see you there, trying to make this into another Edmunds thread, and I WON'T HAVE IT!

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree with this.

I also think they should try tying him and Hyde to same contract length. 

To me, it's the duo not individual safety, that makes this tandem so good.  Their communication, instincts, ability to both play a FS/SS role, mix up coverages, etc is what is so special.  I don't think we get that with 1 and not the other.  

So I'm trying to keep the duo together for 2 more years.

Aside, i do like Hamlin and thought he'd go in the 4th last year, thought we got good value.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

I see you there, trying to make this into another Edmunds thread, and I WON'T HAVE IT!

😉

BELIEVE ME...I knew the risks when I wrote that.  Hahahaha, but sadly, it had to be said as I think it will have a direct impact on retaining guys like Poyer now that we signed Von Miller.

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Agree with this.

I also think they should try tying him and Hyde to same contract length. 

To me, it's the duo not individual safety, that makes this tandem so good.  Their communication, instincts, ability to both play a FS/SS role, mix up coverages, etc is what is so special.  I don't think we get that with 1 and not the other.  

So I'm trying to keep the duo together for 2 more years.

Aside, i do like Hamlin and thought he'd go in the 4th last year, thought we got good value.

Yes totally agree that part of what makes them so great is just how close they are, how well they play off each other, etc.  They are a dynamic duo in that way, so bringing Poyer back to match Hydes time here is ideally what I think Beane would look to do regardless.  

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree with 1st part, but you lost me on the extension/needing 1 yr deals to expire.  If we extend him, it would likely open more cap space this season...allowing us to potentially target a vet corner and/or draft class money.  

Unless I'm misreading your post, it makes sense to extend now if we plan to anyways.

What I meant was Beane said we have no more money….so yes if we had it…then signing him will cheapin his contract but I think it’s better to wait the year because guy’s like Shaq Lawson, Crowder, OJ Howard, Ect…will free up some cash once they’re contracts run it’s course in a year. Also, we have enough for our draft picks and to fill the rest of the roster out for camp. But I don’t think there’s enough money to get some sort of long term deal done…at least that what I got from Beane interview 

1 hour ago, BuffaloNuts said:

That's not really the same situation. We've invested heavily on the line the last few years and then bringing in V.Miller. There's simply not room for Jerry. We don't have nearly as much depth at Safety, and Poyer's play hasn't fallen off like Jerry. Loved Jerry here all these years, but he hasn't been scooped up yet for a reason. 

Exactly! Poyer play hasn’t dropped off & I think he has another 4 more years in him to play at a high level. 

Edited by Scorp83
Added info

5 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

What I meant was Beane said we have no more money….so yes if we had it…then signing him will cheapin his contract but I think it’s better to wait the year because guy’s like Shaq Lawson, Crowder, OJ Howard, Ect…will free up some cash once they’re contracts run it’s course in a year. 

Exactly! Poyer play hasn’t dropped off & I think he has another 4 more years in him to play at a high level. 

Again confused, because it's not like we need to come up with "new money" to sign Poyer, actually extending him would likely create more cap room in 2022.

I think Beanes comment was about signing any new FAs, at least as of now.  They have decent wiggle room available, if they want to extend or convert a couple players salaries to bonus $s.  Beane is very methodical/calculated with his approach, so I trust he will budget accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.