Emmanuel Sanders co-hosting GMF 4/4

Charles Romes

Says he’s played with a lot of great receivers and thinks Gabe is pro bowl caliber, and is going to break out this year. Says he’s not signing with any team until later in the off-season if at all. Wants to be fair to any team that signs him.  Says he has standards to adhere to in terms of his own play. Is monitoring the progress of his knee before he decides on 2022. Considers Bills Super Bowl favorite, Josh MVP favorite. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Gabe's work ethic will make him great.

He's already very good.

As much as I like what we have seen from Davis so far, I don’t think that 35 receptions in 2021 - even with 6 TDS and a high yards per catch average- qualifies as “already very good”.  

I am NOT saying that Davis won’t be good, only that he hasn’t had enough opportunity to show his true NFL ability.  But, there are players who have shown well in limited time, but can’t maintain that when becoming a full-time starter.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

As much as I like what we have seen from Davis so far, I don’t think that 35 receptions in 2021 - even with 6 TDS and a high yards per catch average- qualifies as “already very good”.  

I am NOT saying that Davis won’t be good, only that he hasn’t had enough opportunity to show his true NFL ability.  But, there are players who have shown well in limited time, but can’t maintain that when becoming a full-time starter.

he had 8 catches for 201 yards and 4 TD’s in the chiefs playoff loss. I get your point re the season stats, but that game alone is proof of enough that we have something special (not just a “full-time starter”— we have a really elite player). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

His limited stats don't mean he's not "very good". His usage rate kept him from putting up better stats, not his talent. I'm glad Sanders seems to have agreed that the Bills are right to give Gabe his shot at stardom.

22 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

And this is why some people say "stats are for losers".  When he's on the field, he produces.  I defy you to find any players or coaches who don't think he's really good.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

His limited stats don't mean he's not "very good". His usage rate kept him from putting up better stats, not his talent. I'm glad Sanders seems to have agreed that the Bills are right to give Gabe his shot at stardom.

I didn’t say that he is not very good.  I only said that his limited opportunities leave me as-yet cautious in anointing him as a great player.  I’m not saying that what he has shown isn’t project able to good starting WR, only that it IS a projection at this point.

2 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

Sanders said that Josh was the most likely MVP this year but Kyle did not agree. Both felt that the Bills were a better team this year but Kyle argued that Josh would not have to put up gaudy MVP numbers because of the improvement.  Sensible argument.

Josh is going to get 2-3 mvps in his career. I'm not worried about that. It's the Lombardi that haunts me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Fair take.  

Davis has shown he "can" be elite.  What he did in the KC game was elite.  Whenever he's gotten his chance, he's killed it.  Bodes well...

That said, if he comes into the season as THE #2 WR, we still need to see if he can kill it for an entire season.  

If I had to bet, I'm betting that he will. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fair take.  

Davis has shown he "can" be elite.  What he did in the KC game was elite.  Whenever he's gotten his chance, he's killed it.  Bodes well...

That said, if he comes into the season as THE #2 WR, we still need to see if he can kill it for an entire season.  

If I had to bet, I'm betting that he will. 

It’s certainly difficult to bet against the kid. He’s showed up in several big games and made plays. 

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh is going to get 2-3 mvps in his career. I'm not worried about that. It's the Lombardi that haunts me.

I think it's more likely that Allen wins a Lombardi than an MVP. 

Although the view of Allen is changing, let's remember that for a few glorious (for him, meaning Schopp) weeks to start the 2021 season Schopp and all the stat geeks with their Excel spreadsheets were telling us "this is who Allen is" and saying that 2020 was a fluke, an outlier, and he was really the QB we saw for the first few weeks of the 2021 season. The contract might have been a mistake, etc. Then of course things turned around but there were some weird games in there like Jacksonville too. That was a handful of months ago, so for many, the KC playoff game didn't totally answer all the questions about Allen.

That's the MVP part. Rodgers will throw pretty passes, pretend to be all intellectual, never throw a pick, and look the part of the MVP. 

The thing about Allen is that he is the anti-Rodgers. Allen is a gamer who plays his best when the stakes are highest. Every year we hear about how Rodgers is the best QB in the league from so many yet he plays like garbage in the playoffs every year. It's one thing to lose playoff games, but he doesn't show up. 

Allen is the opposite. That's why I say he's more likely to get the Lombardi than the MVP. 

Gabe Davis is the same way. We've got a QB and a WR who play a completely different game when the lights are brightest, and that is great news!

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.