Your Bills confidence meter - from propping up or worrying about almost every opponent to expecting to win

BillsFan619

58 minutes ago, Augie said:

You saw the Jags game last year, right? THAT is why! 

It’s the NFL. Respect every opponent, every week. Period. 

I did definitely see that game and it did happen.

That said, I think there’s a difference between respecting every opponent and propping up and worrying about every opponent.

While it’s definitely a fine line, I think there’s a way to expect to win and be confident but still respect opponents.

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Your Bills confidence meter - from propping up or worrying about almost every opponent to expecting to win
8 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I did definitely see that game and it did happen.

That said, I think there’s a difference between respecting every opponent and propping up and worrying about every opponent.

While it’s definitely a fine line, I think there’s a way to expect to win and be confident but still respect opponents.

I’m not propping them up. Who said that?  It is what it is. I worry about every game because every game presents the same possibility. It’s reality. 

Can I be cautiously optimistic? Of course, but I still recognize the reality. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not propping them up. Who said that?  It is what it is. I worry about every game because every game presents the same possibility. It’s reality. 

Can I be cautiously optimistic? Of course, but I still recognize the reality. 

I wasn’t saying that you prop up or worry about every opponent.

Yes, there’s a reality that we can lose to anyone but some take it several steps further and prop up or worry about every opponent when the past couple/few years we’ve been the better team overall. This year, we may be one of the best, if not the best, team in football.

It’s not even wrong to be that way. Some people are just wired that way as a fan. That said, I was wondering with how good we have become if some of that propping up and worrying has settled down. Thus the OP.

This Bills team should be favored on most Sundays...I honestly think it's good enough to supersede the schedule...Which is tough...But I look at it this way...Those tough teams are more worried they have to play the Bills than the other way around...This team absolutely should be that good...B-)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Our recent success in the past couple seasons coupled with us having such a great off-season so far has me wondering. If you’re someone who typically props up or worries about almost every opponent we play, with us being one of the teams to beat now, will this be the year that your confidence grows to a point where you expect to win? Or, will you still prop up or worry about most teams from week to week?

I think there’s a transition that usually happens with most fan bases when their team starts to get good where they go from propping up every other team to hoping to win to knowing that most times they will win no matter the opponent. Some fan bases even get to a point where they’re shocked when their team does lose.

So, where are you on that scale and why?

What say you, Bills Mafia?

You can be confident about winning but also have a realistic view of what an NFL season and games are like.  I’m usually the person telling other fans that either we are better than they think after a loss or that the Bills still human after a win.  That said, the Bills are in as good a position to win it all as any team.  Arguably the best.  But the AFC is loaded and every season has its own flavor and comes with its own set of adversities.  I’m just going to try to enjoy the ride this year and hope for the best. 

Edited to add:  If you’re talking about that supreme confidence that the Bills can win every game, overcome just about any deficit and win a title in every year, then I’d say that I’m close.  It’s not the players for me, it’s the coaching.  It goes beyond the 13 seconds.  It’s also the new coordinators, especially Dorsey.  And it’s McDermott too.  As good as he’s been, I haven’t seen him make the gutsy calls that great coaches have to make.  I honestly think that the players are there.  They grew and have stepped up.  Allen in particular and the offense in general have been outstanding.  Now it’s the coaching staff’s turn to grow and step up. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

I feel confident we will win the division and win one playoff game. If we draft a cb2 in round1 or sign a decent cb2 then we can win the Super Bowl. If we rely on high round draft picks at that position we are taking a big chance to waste another year. 

• Agree 1

The Bills are one of the best 2 or 3 teams in football. But the parity in the NFL means no game is a gimme and it is a match up league. Teams who have a true game wrecker on their defensive line are a bad matchup for us as are teams who can run it straight down your throat. Doesn't mean the Bills can't beat those teams but it is what it is. You can't be perfect. The way the league is set up doesn't allow it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am confident they will have another good regular season and win the division again. As for the playoffs I am confident in them if they are playing at Orchard Park and not so much when they are on the road. I think in the McDermott era the Bills are undefeated at home in the playoffs (Colts, Ravens, Pats) and winless on the road (Jags, Texans, Chiefs twice). If they can get the #1 seed then I think they are almost a lock to make it to the Super Bowl. On the road it will be a lot harder.

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

It’s a defense mechanism a number of posters on here employ. They are so afraid of being disappointed by a loss that they amplify our teams flaws while building up our opponents so if we lose it doesn’t hurt them as much. 

That is a great analysis of what it is to be a Bills fan.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You can be confident about winning but also have a realistic view of what an NFL season and games are like.  I’m usually the person telling other fans that either we are better than they think after a loss or that the Bills still human after a win.  That said, the Bills are in as good a position to win it all as any team.  Arguably the best.  But the AFC is loaded and every season has its own flavor and comes with its own set of adversities.  I’m just going to try to enjoy the ride this year and hope for the best. 

Edited to add:  If you’re talking about that supreme confidence that the Bills can win every game, overcome just about any deficit and win a title in every year, then I’d say that I’m close.  It’s not the players for me, it’s the coaching.  It goes beyond the 13 seconds.  It’s also the new coordinators, especially Dorsey.  And it’s McDermott too.  As good as he’s been, I haven’t seen him make the gutsy calls that great coaches have to make.  I honestly think that the players are there.  They grew and have stepped up.  Allen in particular and the offense in general have been outstanding.  Now it’s the coaching staff’s turn to grow and step up. 

Really? How about the 4th down td conversion in the 1Q against the Chiefs in the playoffs? Or the 4th down TDs agains the Pats in week 16. 

McDermott has shown tremendous growth. Some people don't want to acknowledge it, for some reason. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ToGoGo said:

Really? How about the 4th down td conversion in the 1Q against the Chiefs in the playoffs? Or the 4th down TDs agains the Pats in week 16. 

McDermott has shown tremendous growth. Some people don't want to acknowledge it, for some reason. 

He is less risk averse, yet for some reason in the middle of the KC game we went conservative and just threw away several drives. At the end of the game, there were inexcusable errors. You've got to be sharp in the crucial moments and there is certainly room for growth there . . . 

Last year’s squad, coaches and Josh took basically the WHOLE season to finally hit their stride.

We have a lot of roster turnover and some coaching changes at one of the most important positions.

I have no earthly idea what this team is going to look like this year.  Last year, when we completely crapped the bed during some games I will do as I did then: Remind myself it is a marathon not a sprint and the season is only a play in to the postseason which is a new season with unlimited possibilities……. If the effing coaches don’t blow it👿

Edited by Buffalo Boy

15 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I was very happy to see him go for it on 4th down twice on their first possession.  But unfortunately that’s been the exception, not the rule.  And obviously the whole body of coaching work that day left a lot to be desired, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  To sum up the coaching decisions in that game - Great on the first offensive possession, then back to the usual until the meltdown at the end.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.