Bills eyeing Gilmore…Hmmmm 🤔

Scorp83

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Which makes him a lesser player IMO

That doesn’t mean I am saying he sucks. 

he has to Buy In. Buying in is putting in 100 % effort. 

That's like saying QBs who slide instead of putting their head down to get more yardage aren't putting in 100% effort.

I get it ... it would be great if Gilmore sacrificed his body to make solid tackles.  But there's a difference between playing hard and playing smart.

I'll gladly take the broken up passes and INTs at the expense of some missed/half-ass tackles.  

Availability is the best ability.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Gilmore is the type of player to point out there is a 'ME' when you tell him 'there's no "I" in "TEAM"'.

Not the type of player this staff looks for. 

You mean talented ones?

We have had enough of the Zimmers and H. Phillips.  Talent wins championships and Gilmore if healthy is a top 10 CB in this league.  

All that said, I think I would take Joe Haden on a 1 year deal and a rookie #1 draft pick at CB as a better use of resources and long term cap management.  

If you are one of those posters that feel WR or RB is a bigger need in the early rounds (and there are good arguments to make for that strategy), then Gilmore on a 2 year deal makes more sense

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

disagree 

From the link above 

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) — After skipping the Buffalo Bills' entire spring schedule of voluntary workouts, cornerback Stephon Gilmore provided one good reason why he showed up for practice on Tuesday.

"It's mandatory," Gilmore said.

Rather than risk being fined by the Bills for refusing to report, Gilmore was a grudging participant in opening the team's three-day mandatory minicamp.

He never missed his contractual obligations. I am assuming most here would be pissed if your boss said come to this optional training every weekend and if you dont you're a malcontent. It is 100% okay for athletes to have a life outside of football.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You mean talented ones?

We have had enough of the Zimmers and H. Phillips.  Talent wins championships and Gilmore if healthy is a top 10 CB in this league.  

All that said, I think I would take Joe Haden on a 1 year deal and a rookie #1 draft pick at CB as a better use of resources and long term cap management.  

If you are one of those posters that feel WR or RB is a bigger need in the early rounds (and there are good arguments to make for that strategy), then Gilmore on a 2 year deal makes more sense

Talented ones that fit the culture,  yes. Talented ones that know they are talented and skip workouts until they are told they have to come, no. 

You think miller, Allen, Diggs, Milano, Edmunds, etc. Are going to sit out of voluntary workouts because they aren't mandatory or are they going to try to improve for the sake of the team and not their own personal feelings?

Edited by The Wiz

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Talented ones that fit the culture,  yes. Talented ones that know they are talented and skip workouts until they are told they have to come, no. 

You think miller, Allen, Diggs, Milano, Edmunds, etc. Are going to sit out of voluntary workouts because they aren't mandatory or are they going to try to improve for the sake of the team and not their own personal feelings?

Off topic, but I'm okay if Edmunds sits out.  😀

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We need to get beyond the “hurt feelings” and keep the eyes on the prize. The Super Bowl is all that matters!! Gilmore isn’t the player that he was but could be a valuable addition. 

Buffalonian's don't get beyond hurt feelings.  How can they when everyone is so mean to them all the time?

• Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Well there you have it.

The wife has spoken.

That’s that.

Yup, She keeps his bits in her purse…,

Remember, all of the nonsense happened during other regimes with the Bills.

There is no baggage when it comes to McDermott and Gilmore.

The Bills simply decided to move on from Gilmore in 2017 as they were in the midst of a rebuild as soon as McDermott took over.

We should welcome a Gilmore return to Buffalo.

And if they sign Gilmore (BIG IF, of course), it really opens up endless possibilities on draft day.

This is obviously just someone speculating, but a big No Thank You anyhow.

I'm someone who supported Gilmore. When he had a sour puss at the draft, I told other fans "he's just a quiet guy, it's his personality, give him a chance." I told other fans to be patient with him when he was a bit slow out of the gate and when he was injured (missed 11 games in his first three years). I remember telling fans, who were down on him, that he was actually becoming a very good CB.  But then...

HE QUIT ON HIS TEAM. Some can say he was justified in that because the Bills/Rex were a sh&t show of a team back then. But what about the other 52 guys on the team who were still giving 100% effort to win, or the fans who were paying to watch him play, or the owner who was paying him a nice salary to play, or the front office that drafted him? Absolutely no loyalty or pride. There were literally times down the stretch of that season where he looked like a matador sidestepping a bull. A play would be coming right at him and he would step to the side (out of bounds) and let the guy go for someone else to tackle. It's not just that he was not a great tackler, he was choosing to completely avoid even attempting to make a tackle. I never saw Kyle Williams or Eric Wood quit on their team, despite the Bills sucking for their entire careers. 

I wasn't upset at all when he left the Bills for the Pats (because of his lack of effort that final season), and I could care less what he said after leaving or the accolades he's received since. To me quitting on your team is one of the worst things you can do in sports. It is the exact opposite of "teamwork." 

And yeah ok, he was trying to protect himself so he would be healthy to get his big FA contract. But by playing half-assed, he could have got a teammate injured instead (luckily it didn't happen). But, let's say you're a safety and you are coming up to help on a tackle. You see Stephon there and expect him to make contact, so you prepare yourself for that situation, then Gilmore steps to the side and you take the full brunt of the collision. 

No, Gilmore definitely does not have the McBeane DNA.  Not to mention he's on the downside of his career and probably won't be worth the money he expects.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.