The Christian Wade experiment

HappyDays

15 minutes ago, benderbender said:

The experiment is over. Can’t help feeling underwhelmed. Would really like to know what really happened.

Wasn't his "free" international player designation over?  Not sure there is much to uncover....he is a talented athlete but FO didn't see enough to let him be part of the 90 heading to camp.  Pretty simple.

• Agree 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

COVID happened.  No preseason in 2020, then the injury last year did him in.  I hope he catches on somewhere, dude got skeels.

Sure he does. Just not football skills.

Covid and injury had nothing to do with him not making the team.

Christian Wade, Efe Obada, Duke Williams-- I'm a sucker for these "feel good" stories. I root for them, follow them on social media, talk about them around the craft service table, hoping... but they never seem to work out.

So, who's the underdog story going to be this season? (Please don't tell me Isaiah Hodgins. I'm bored already...)

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

And his fiance (maybe now wife?) is American so I imagine riding the last two years out with her in the States was preferable to a long distance relationship from London.

Apparently, she now is his wife, so he got US citizenship, which means he can stay in the US.  

I thought his comments about how difficult is were interesting.   The details he had to master overwhelmed him - in rugby, you just have to know the rules and go play, and he had the athletic ability to do that.   In football, he was way behind the curve, and couldn't catch up.  

If you think about it, college basketball players who become tight ends are about the only athletes who make it in pro football without having played football through high school and college.  Even someone like Marquise Goodwin, who split his time between football and track, always struggled with being a fully-developed football player.  

Playing at the NFL level is much more specialized than it looks to us, just sitting in front of the TV.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Apparently, she now is his wife, so he got US citizenship, which means he can stay in the US.  

I thought his comments about how difficult is were interesting.   The details he had to master overwhelmed him - in rugby, you just have to know the rules and go play, and he had the athletic ability to do that.   In football, he was way behind the curve, and couldn't catch up.  

If you think about it, college basketball players who become tight ends are about the only athletes who make it in pro football without having played football through high school and college.  Even someone like Marquise Goodwin, who split his time between football and track, always struggled with being a fully-developed football player.  

Playing at the NFL level is much more specialized than it looks to us, just sitting in front of the TV.  

There are guys who have made it, but it is exceptionally difficult to transition to American Football. Especially as late in your career as Christian was trying to. He faced an uphill battle from the start but curtailed pre-season and camp arrangements because of covid definitely reduced his already minimal chance to zero. Still, he will always have that pre-season touchdown from a few years back to cherish. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are guys who have made it, but it is exceptionally difficult to transition to American Football. Especially as late in your career as Christian was trying to. He faced an uphill battle from the start but curtailed pre-season and camp arrangements because of covid definitely reduced his already minimal chance to zero. Still, he will always have that pre-season touchdown from a few years back to cherish. 

Sports Illustrated did an article a month or two ago about all the guys (about 10) whose entire NBA career consisted of playing one game and recording no stats.   Signed to a 10-day contract, get into one game at mop-up time, ran up and down the floor a few times, and soon were out of the league.  As you say, Wade had two nifty runs and a touchdown.  I would like to have been in his skin for those moments. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dude could run, sadly when we draft runners like Moss, things like this are questionable. Maybe Wade just couldn’t learn the nuances. Wade is a much better runner than Moss or even Singletary. Sad. Hope some other club picks him up. 

I would have much rather have kept Wade than Moss. But we know Beane wouldn’t do that because of ego and where he drafted Moss would be admitting to a mistake. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Fair to wonder if he would have provided more than Moss these last two seasons and going forward. I'm not sure he was even eligible to play though these last two seasons?

Without a doubt he would offer more than Moss. The only reason Moss is being kept over Wade is because we wasted a draft pick on the bum. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.