Jerry Hughes saying goodbye?

Big Turk

12 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Wish Jerry well, he just wasn’t the finisher he used to be. My most memorable sack of his was when he whipped All-Pro Joe Thomas for a defining sack. Those days are long gone.

He destroyed Thomas on that day...even more memorable for me was the play where they tried an outside run, Hughes, while being held by Thomas, made the tackle, stripped the ball, picked it up and ran it back for the TD 

EDIT: Here is the play...it was the 19-17 loss in 2019 

https://youtu.be/B5tq9Wi8m6M

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I will always love Jerry Hughes. But a lot of the sentiment that I'm reading in this thread is how I felt last year. 

Beane did a great thing by keeping Jerry last year for a championship run. Can't keep doing it until it happens. Decisions have to be made and I think Jerry is gone.

Thank you Jerry for many memories and your intense effort as a Buffalo Bill. Love you man. 

Except Hughes is better than Basham, Lawson, and Epenesa still. He is still a quality player. I understand thus happens all the time and predicting when older veterans decline is as difficult as predicting which young players will improve  

However Epenesa looks like a complete bust and I would take Hughes back and cut Epenesa in a heart beat.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, buffblue said:

I'm not sure he won't be back. Everyone is saying we don't have room, but don't the Bills usually roll with 9 or 10 DL's? 

Right now there is 9 I believe:

DT Settle

DT Jones

DT Oliver

DT Phillips

DE Miller

DE Rousseau

DE Lawson

DE Epenesa

DE Basham

Zimmer and Jerry are the only remaining FA's of interest with Ankou presumably bound for the practice squad. I can definitely see a scenario where Lawson or Epenesa are not on the final roster and Jerry accepts a reduced contract/role to give it one more go. He's still an effective player, and I don't think he would sign with another team that isn't a Super Bowl contender. We shall see I guess, but I hope something happens as the offseason goes on.

Also, possible added perk of being a top contender mixed with players who grow to love the team and fans, he could opt to hang out on PS to be a in shape but fresh body in the stretch run of the playoffs.  During early season he's keeping in game shape with practicing.  He can be helping coach up the younger guys as well then if they more at the tail end if season,  he's got his motor revving at pace to help take out whomever survives the AFC to have the honor of falling to the eventual SB  champs.  The Bills paid him well over his career he's earned it as well both sides won no reason can't mutually decide to do above situation.  If the young guys break out with Miller drawing attention as he will then having Jerry as unused insurance at a minimum cost while Jerry gets to  keep in shape hanging out with his guys, would earn a SB ring as member of PS squad does it matter to any Mafia if his contributions took place in practice setting?  Dunno if he's a player inclined to coaching post career if he is could be a way to intern so to speak..... I'm inclined to think that going forward may see more players opt to do these types of deals.  They don't earn top $$$, but they also aren't taxing their older bodies and can contribute if the need arises down the stretch.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:09 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Can you imagine if Hughes just wanted to play 1 year on the vet minimum opposite Von Miller?

Really gonna miss him.

I mean if we would take him and he would not take that offer it’s on Jerry at that point.  Hopefully Groot is ready to go.  

On 4/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, Kaenon said:

Kelvin Sheppard (3rd round LB from LSU) for Jerry Hughes (1st round EDGE) straight up goes down as one of the best Buffalo Bills trades of all time.

Straight up HEIST

On 4/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Except Hughes is better than Basham, Lawson, and Epenesa still. He is still a quality player. I understand thus happens all the time and predicting when older veterans decline is as difficult as predicting which young players will improve  

However Epenesa looks like a complete bust and I would take Hughes back and cut Epenesa in a heart beat.

I'm not as down on AJ. He bends the corner well. Will see better AJ with better push from the middle

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with those who say they'll miss Jerry.  The Bills have to live within the cap and that's one of the decisions they had to make.  Epenesa and Lawson are not the players that Hughes has been, But they a lot cheaper.  Von Millers is really the only pass rusher they have on the line who can win with bend and speed now.  I expect the Bills will draft a defensive end, but I doubt it will be early, and if you don't draft a defensive end early, you're probably not going to get elite athleticism.  One guy they might get in round 2 is Sam Williams.  He's listed as a linebacker but he's 265 lbs with sub 4.5 speed.  He needs a lot of development, but the raw athleticism is there.

51 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Straight up HEIST

I'm not as down on AJ. He bends the corner well. Will see better AJ with better push from the middle

Hope you are right. I try not to throw around the bust word too carefree. But Epenesa and Ford look terrible so far. Add Moss and you have some pretty big misses for Beane in the early rounds. 

I am surely in the minority but I think Ford with a new coach may have a chance to resurrecting his career. Its still more likely than not he is a training camp cut or trade for a low round pick. But he has shown enough in practice to start at RT and both guard spots. Maybe just maybe he can improve enough to at least be interior depth.

As for trades, Hughes for what was given up has to be #1. In Bills history, Coussineau, Bennett and Diggs trades were franchise changing/defining deals as well.

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hope you are right. I try not to throw around the bust word too carefree. But Epenesa and Ford look terrible so far. Add Moss and you have some pretty big misses for Beane in the early rounds. 

I am surely in the minority but I think Ford with a new coach may have a chance to resurrecting his career. Its still more likely than not he is a training camp cut or trade for a low round pick. But he has shown enough in practice to start at RT and both guard spots. Maybe just maybe he can improve enough to at least be interior depth.

As for trades, Hughes for what was given up has to be #1. In Bills history, Coussineau, Bennett and Diggs trades were franchise changing/defining deals as well.

We wouldn't be being back Bates on such a long term deal nor signed Stafford if thought Ford is anything more than a backup. He might end up off the 53 if we draft someone in first 4 rounds. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

The only way I see Beane bringing Jerry back is at vet minimum. Kind of insulting to Jerry, and I don't think he would do it. In fact I doubt Beane would even offer it unless Jerry gets no offers and wants one more shot at winning it.

• Agree 1

If you are an UFA not sure you can say goodbye since both sides have technically moved on.

I appreciate what he has meant to this team through the years and he certainly had a great stretch during the Marrone era. But there's a reason why Hughes hasn't been signed yet by another team and may only find himself a veteran type of minimum deal in the coming months closer to camp.

And unless he's willing to do that with another contender looking strictly for a depth/rotation guy his NFL career may very well be over.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:51 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Bill Walsh said “It’s better to get rid of a player before he’s totally done”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.