Jerry Hughes saying goodbye?

Big Turk

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

No, I’m not.  I’m talking about a super bowl run.  A super bowl run in which we can use as many good pass rushers as we can get.  Right now, we have one great pass rusher at end, 1 guy we hope we will be great (but good is his likely ceiling imo), 2 guys that have shown next to nothing and a minimum salary castoff that is better than the 2 guys that have shown next to nothing.   

I’m not talking about development.  I’m talking about adding talent for the 2022 super bowl run.  Playing the best talent possible.  Basham, epenesa and Shaq are all lesser than Jerry.  Jerry would make out team better.  Period 

That is not comparing apples to oranges unless you change the conversation.  I made a comment, you cranked out a bunch of reasons why they shouldn’t sign him and said that it doesn’t make sense for either party…..and that’s untrue.  Make up some nonsense than accuse me of exaggerating….  Not surprised

You think right. But he has to use that as support for his argument that “it makes not sense for either the bills or Jerry”…..even though it doesn’t support it at all.  

I’m not so sure Hughes gives you more production this year, a year older and a year slower than Rousseau Basham or Epenesa.

Improvement in years 2 and year 3 for the young ends is very possible. If Hughes was a drastic slam dunk advantage over any of those guys then I’d agree with bringing him back.

But Hughes is just an average older DE at this point and that’s probably being kind

• Agree 5

32 minutes ago, julian said:

I’m not so sure Hughes gives you more production this year, a year older and a year slower than Rousseau Basham or Epenesa.

Improvement in years 2 and year 3 for the young ends is very possible. If Hughes was a drastic slam dunk advantage over any of those guys then I’d agree with bringing him back.

But Hughes is just an average older DE at this point and that’s probably being kind

Maybe so, though I would honestly give him a shot if I needed another situational DE on the roster.

If there is no space on the roster, it is what it is.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think He was a little sarcastic 

I don't think the bills have much hope at all for Cody Ford besides maybe being a swing guard 

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

Maybe. But even if he was, there's truth in the sarcasm. You don't spend a 2nd and a 5th on someone and then not give them every opportunity to validate the investment. Teams don't throw away premium picks within the first two rounds for nothing. Cody is being given his 4th opportunity, though he has to earn it this season.

To not develop and label guys as "JAG's" before their 2nd or 3rd years in Epenesa and Basham after making such an investment in is not how GMs operate.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

Appreciate all that Hughes has done for Buffalo but it’s time to move on. No one ever questioned his work ethic or passion. He gave it his all and glad he’s helped turn the franchise around.

My top three highlights are:

1.  His TD return against the Broncos

2. Chasing the ref up the tunnel

3. Getting a bogus fathom 15 yard penalty against NE after stopping them on 3rd down for hitting another Bills players helmet in celebration. Ref said he was hitting a NE player. Pure 100% BS

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2014/10/16/6985297/jerry-hughes-penalty-bills-patriots-2014

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, julian said:

Hughes gives you that one important aspect that the others don’t have, experience. Like @NewErasaid, look at those Chiefs games. Hughes was constantly turning that corner making Mahomes move around in the pocket. Any type of push from the middle would’ve resulted in sacks. The Rams had Leonard Floyd on the other side of Von Miller. I’d like to see Hughes for one more run

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Appreciate all that Hughes has done for Buffalo but it’s time to move on. No one ever questioned his work ethic or passion. He gave it his all and glad he’s helped turn the franchise around.

My top three highlights are:

1.  His TD return against the Broncos

2. Chasing the ref up the tunnel

3. Getting a bogus fathom 15 yard penalty against NE after stopping them on 3rd down for hitting another Bills players helmet in celebration. Ref said he was hitting a NE player. Pure 100% BS

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2014/10/16/6985297/jerry-hughes-penalty-bills-patriots-2014

How did you leave out fitting first ballot Hall Of Famer Joe Thomas for a dress in the Cleveland game where he was literally unlockable...numerous instances but the obvious one was when he was being held on a play by Thomas, still broke free and tackled the running back behind the LOS, stripped the ball, recovered the fumble and then ran it in for a TD?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, he's still a Free Agent. Which speaks to what the rest of the league thinks of what he offers at this point in his career.

Not necessarily.  We have no idea what conversations his agent has had with Buffalo or any other teams.  I’m pretty sure Jerry has something very specific he’s looking for if he is going to keep playing.  I’m guessing he doesn’t want to take a vet minimum (or close to it) deal to play with a team that is not a Super Bowl contender.

If Buffalo doesn’t want him back, I’d give it better than 50/50 odds he retires.

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Hughes gives you that one important aspect that the others don’t have, experience. Like @NewErasaid, look at those Chiefs games. Hughes was constantly turning that corner making Mahomes move around in the pocket. Any type of push from the middle would’ve resulted in sacks. The Rams had Leonard Floyd on the other side of Von Miller. I’d like to see Hughes for one more run

That’s valid, it’s possible with Von on the other side that Hughes is excited and finds another gear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.