Jerry Hughes saying goodbye?

Big Turk

On 4/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, The Jokeman said:

We wouldn't be being back Bates on such a long term deal nor signed Stafford if thought Ford is anything more than a backup. He might end up off the 53 if we draft someone in first 4 rounds. 

I think his low cap cost is why he is still here. If he had a high price tag like Williams or Feliciano, he would have been cut already. I like Bates but he was previously on the bench for a reason. Saffold is only a 1 year deal. There are some concerns about his pass blocking. I’m hoping we draft IOL in the first or 2nd day of the draft. Hopefully, someone that Kromer really likes. Giving Josh time in the pocket is key to making our offense go. 

2 hours ago, turftoe said:

I think his low cap cost is why he is still here. If he had a high price tag like Williams or Feliciano, he would have been cut already. I like Bates but he was previously on the bench for a reason. Saffold is only a 1 year deal. There are some concerns about his pass blocking. I’m hoping we draft IOL in the first or 2nd day of the draft. Hopefully, someone that Kromer really likes. Giving Josh time in the pocket is key to making our offense go. 

Bates was on the bench for the Bills philosophy was that it was better to replace one player on line when needed than 2 and Bates was capable of handling all 5 positions in a pinch which was critical when players were frequently out for one or two weeks do to COVID tests. Players would get dinged and he would go in, players get taped or otherwise able to play he would go out and then be inserted again sometimes as 6th lineman.

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

he had 2.0 sacks last year.....he hasnt lived up to his contract in the last 7 years....his last good years were 2013 & 2014

time to move on

Disagree.  He was the only player getting steady qb pressures the whole time he's been in buffalo. The pressures didn't always turn into sacks,  but they do matter. 

I'd actually love to bring Hughes back, but are we moving Epenesa?  Does Shaq Lawson not make the team?

It's a numbers game, and we have to get Basham and Epenesa on the field to develop, unless they are just colossal busts, in which case we have other issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd actually love to bring Hughes back, but are we moving Epenesa?  Does Shaq Lawson not make the team?

It's a numbers game, and we have to get Basham and Epenesa on the field to develop, unless they are just colossal busts, in which case we have other issues. 

winning a super bowl > developing a DE that has shown very little in 2 years.  Jerry >>>>> Shaq, AJ and Basham.  Give me the guy that we know can move the QB off of his spot.  7 hurries in his last game alone.  Epenesa might not have 7 hurries in his career.  Dude owes Austin Jackson 1/2 his salary 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

winning a super bowl > developing a DE that has shown very little in 2 years.  Jerry >>>>> Shaq, AJ and Basham.  Give me the guy that we know can move the QB off of his spot.  7 hurries in his last game alone.  Epenesa might not have 7 hurries in his career.  Dude owes Austin Jackson 1/2 his salary 

Can't argue too much with that.  

I think i'm more in the win-now, while also thinking about creating the most competitive team I can for the future mode - but I can't argue with the win-now at all costs folks.

It's why I would 100% trade Edmunds and Poyer before/during the draft, as I do not believe they are in our long term plans.  However, I definitely understand why people would want to keep them and risk them leaving for nothing next offseason.  

I'd like to see what we have in Epenesa and Basham, but Hughes on a DL that doesn't require him to be lead dog could be pretty special.  Moving Edmunds and/or Poyer could also free up what we need to do so.. just saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Can't argue too much with that.  

I think i'm more in the win-now, while also thinking about creating the most competitive team I can for the future mode - but I can't argue with the win-now at all costs folks.

It's why I would 100% trade Edmunds and Poyer before/during the draft, as I do not believe they are in our long term plans.  However, I definitely understand why people would want to keep them and risk them leaving for nothing next offseason.  

I'd like to see what we have in Epenesa and Basham, but Hughes on a DL that doesn't require him to be lead dog could be pretty special.  Moving Edmunds and/or Poyer could also free up what we need to do so.. just saying. 

I hear ya regarding edmunds and Poyer.  Poyers my guy, but if he’s not in the future plans and we can get something good for him, so be it.  He looked like he was stuck in the mud on Several plays vs the chiefs. Bad angles and lacked speed…..but I love that dude. 

i hope he stays and can win a title with him, but nothing lasts forever. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya regarding edmunds and Poyer.  Poyers my guy, but if he’s not in the future plans and we can get something good for him, so be it.  He looked like he was stuck in the mud on Several plays vs the chiefs. Bad angles and lacked speed…..but I love that dude. 

i hope he stays and can win a title with him, but nothing lasts forever. 

Same. 

Also, our safeties are great at stopping over the top passing attacks, but - as you point out - they didn't do so well in pursuit mode off underneath stuff in that KC game.  

Guess what we'll likely see nonstop twice per year out of Miami with Hill/Waddle/Mostert... going to need guys who can run. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Last time Jerry had a good rusher on the other side in Mario he had double digit sacks

I would like to bring him back

And Obama was the president. I think his days of double digit sacks are over. He’s probably a 4-6 sack guy but sooner rather than later Father Time is going to catch him.

Edited by turftoe

4 minutes ago, turftoe said:

And Obama was the president. I think his days of double digit sacks are over. He’s probably a 4-6 sack guy but sooner rather than later Father Time is going to catch him.

I think he'd be worth it to bring him back on a 1 year deal as a situational rusher.  He still pressured the QB last year.. we just didn't care, rightfully so, because when it mattered neither he nor Addison got home.   We have Miller now, we have a very talented DT rotation and we have to hope that - at least - Rousseau makes a jump this year.  If we move off Edmunds or Poyer's contract, I wouldn't hate using some of that money on Hughes as a situational rusher for one year. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we try and move Epenesa any day now. Because if not I don't see him making this roster unless he really shows something. And even though he was apparently great in offseason workouts and camp last year it obviously didn't translate into the regular season minus the one freak game against the Dolphins in Week 2. So another good offseason actually might not matter.

I don't think Lawson is necessarily a lock to make this team either unless he also balls out this summer and proves he can be the same guy he was in 2019 and could be fighting for the same spot on the roster Epenesa is. 

Of course if we draft a DE anywhere in the top 5 rounds later this month that throws a curveball in the situation as well because anything short of a late round pick is guaranteed to make the roster by default.

But going back to Hughes, this all of this is yet another reason why I see zero chance of ending up back in Buffalo and still think his prospects are going to be limited elsewhere unless it's on a vet minimum deal with no guarantees of making roster. His time in this league is simply over IMO.

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

he had 2.0 sacks last year.....he hasnt lived up to his contract in the last 7 years....his last good years were 2013 & 2014

time to move on

worst post I’ve read in a long time.  

Playing DE is a lot more than accumulating sacks.  Aaron Donald didn’t get the sack on the game ending 4th down in the SB……. he won the super bowl with a pressure.  Something Jerry does very well.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

Jerry's effort has always been undeniable and I think that is why he is deservedly well liked and many fans wish him to stay.

However, even at the top of his career he has never been the stud that some made him out to be and he has been shooting blanks for a long while. I would say that is time to take him to the slaughterhouse.

Then again his cap figure may be so low that they could keep him for his veteran leadership alone.

Whatever they do, I doubt it will affect the outcome of the upcoming season.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

Shaq is a bum imo.  Glad to have him for the competition, but he’s the epitome of a jag imo. Easily replaceable by someone that’s better than a jag.  Jerry is definitely better than a jag.

Jerry has been great for us, but it’s time to move on.  No fan likes to say goodbye to a player who has given so much for Buffalo.  

I hope he finds it to have at least one home in Buffalo, as you know WGR, and the other outlets would use him for interviews, and speculation on the team.

I think we just need to get younger.  We have a ton of talent Beane brought in this off season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.