Jerry Hughes saying goodbye?

Big Turk

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just would've been nice to see a little statement from the team or something thanking Jerry for his time here if, in fact, he's not coming back.

He was here for NINE years. Always a good, loyal Bill who did his job and never complained, even though we consistently stunk for the first half of his tenure here.

I'm not asking for a parade or anything, just a little thank you message on social media, where fans could add their own thanks in the comments section.

I know, I know, this is just business and I'm an overly sentimental goon. So be it. One of the best drought era Bills. Won't get to be part of our championship season in 2023. Just a shame is all.

Umm…give them some time?  Is FA over?  Is the offseason over?

Jesus Freaking Christ.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

I was hoping you would sing us a "farewell and adieu to my fair Spanish lady." Boo

But in all seriousness if Jerry is gone Hella praise on him. Dude did nothing but compete and give 110%. Good luck Jerry.

Yes, Jerry was a warrior and gave it his all despite constantly getting hosed by the refs. He'll be missed and will always have a spot in Bill's lore.

• Like (+1) 2

I will always love Jerry Hughes. But a lot of the sentiment that I'm reading in this thread is how I felt last year. 

Beane did a great thing by keeping Jerry last year for a championship run. Can't keep doing it until it happens. Decisions have to be made and I think Jerry is gone.

Thank you Jerry for many memories and your intense effort as a Buffalo Bill. Love you man. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Guy has been a great Buffalo Bill.   But if he is being honest with himself he will retire.  The thing he can't change is that he doesn't have it anymore.   Hit a wall three years ago, and has been living off of pressures since then.  

Can you really say that Hughes would contribute less than Shaq Lawson, who got traded out of Miami to a bad team in Houston a year after signing his big 2nd contract, then traded again to a worse team, the Jets, 5 months later (and cut before the end of the season)?

Or than Epenesa has, to date?

The problem is that Lawson is playing for the Bills on a Veteran Salary Benefit deal (he gets minimum and a small bonus, the team gets a lower cap hit)

Epenesa is playing on a rookie deal.

I don't think Jerry (nor Addison) wants to play for pennies on the dollar.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you really say that Hughes would contribute less than Shaq Lawson, who got traded out of Miami to a bad team in Houston a year after signing his big 2nd contract, then traded again to a worse team, the Jets, 5 months later (and cut before the end of the season)?

The problem is that Lawson is playing for the Bills on a Veteran Salary Benefit deal (he gets minimum and a small bonus, the team gets a lower cap hit)

My guess is that BB discussed it with him and Jerry decided to see if he could get a better deal elsewhere.

• Agree 1

I think we all expected Hughes wasn't returning after this season. The writing was on the wall. Von Miller being signed sealed it for me.

It's a lot to ask and expect Jerry Hughes to come back for pennies on the dollar, in a rotational role, and take a backseat to Von Miller after 9 years with the team, most of which as the unquestioned leader of the Defense. I think it would be an uncomfortable dynamic for both he and Von.

I believe if anyone's coming back and doing that, it'll much sooner be Mario Addison than Jerry Hughes.

5 hours ago, buffblue said:

I'm not sure he won't be back. Everyone is saying we don't have room, but don't the Bills usually roll with 9 or 10 DL's? 

Right now there is 9 I believe:

DT Settle

DT Jones

DT Oliver

DT Phillips

DE Miller

DE Rousseau

DE Lawson

DE Epenesa

DE Basham

Zimmer and Jerry are the only remaining FA's of interest with Ankou presumably bound for the practice squad. I can definitely see a scenario where Lawson or Epenesa are not on the final roster and Jerry accepts a reduced contract/role to give it one more go. He's still an effective player, and I don't think he would sign with another team that isn't a Super Bowl contender. We shall see I guess, but I hope something happens as the offseason goes on.

Yeah. 

Doesn't seem this retweet is necessarily even about this. That's certainly one explanation, but there are plenty of equally reasonable others. 

IMO he could be back later depending on price and how the roster looks.

• Like (+1) 1

Jerry, a class act was poignant in his finality in acceptance.  He was a heck of a player for us, and he knows deep down he was losing a step.  He made up for his declining speed with a wealth of knowledge knowing how to outsmart those young LT’s.

I appreciate his years here and sincerely hope he retires with grace.  If so, he should be honored at halftime of the September home games.

Hell be missed and I think he’s earned the right to address the team before a game.  I can easily see him coming for a couple of days in camp working with the newer DE’s, in Rousseau, Basham, and Epenesa.

Thank you Jerry for you’re decade in Buffalo.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this pretty much explains it.  Even Shaq was hesitant to play for veteran minimum but Jordan Phillips convinced him to sign.  If Bills offered Hughes veteran minimum, I'm a little surprised Hughes didn't take it.  Hughes has made his money but doesn't have a championship.  They have a strong shot at it this upcoming season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am not of the belief that Lawson makes the team.   As you mentioned Epenesa is on a rookie deal, so for me, with them being so hard up against the cap, negates any conversation of production.  But if I am being honest, I think Hughes is to the point in his career, where yes, Epenesa is as impactful.   Espenesa had 1.5 sacks in 330 snaps where Hughes had 2 in 558.   To me Hughes is washed.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

He is STILL an NFL quality player. The question is, at what price? And is it worth it to him? 

I disagree.  I think he is a replacment level player who struggles mightily to get home.  His value may be more to a young DE room, but I wouldnt pay him more than minimum for that.  He is a 33 year old player who has 11 sacks in the last three years combined.   Not sure who is looking to pay a vet for 3.5 sacks a year when a much younger player can do the same.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.