Jerry Hughes saying goodbye?

Big Turk

36 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

One of his best moves was chasing that ref up the tunnel. Anyone who has played sports has wanted to do that at some point, and that crazy mofo actually did it in an NFL game!

The refs may have blackballed him after that, but it's still something that they can never take away from him. 

I was hoping you would sing us a "farewell and adieu to my fair Spanish lady." Boo

But in all seriousness if Jerry is gone Hella praise on him. Dude did nothing but compete and give 110%. Good luck Jerry.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Uhh, hoping that tweet is about anything other than football.  I for one completely agree the edition of Von Miller would do wonders for Mr Hughes.  Let us also not forget his level of play has NOT dropped off that much.  Just last year he was still one of the league leaders in QB pressures.  Maybe the sacks weren't there but I'd love to see him out there opposite Von on 3rd downs next year....I'd bet serious coin his sack numbers increase from last year. 

Is it merely a matter of Beane not wanting to pay him what he's asking for for his services?  

41 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

One of the best trades the Bills have made 

If he is leaving, good luck for the future. 

Getting Jerry for Kelvin Sheppard was such a rip off.  It actually made me think Doug Marrone & Doug Whaley might really know what they were doing... (it was the first thing they did).

After each game, I literally could not ever remember a single play Kelvin Sheppard made.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

I do wish we were bringing Jerry Hughes back this season.

He's been top 10 or top 20 in pressures or pass rush win rate multiple times over the past few seasons. I know the sack numbers aren't there, but he's been a productive pass rusher for the Bills for a while now.

I think that the attention Von Miller will attract on 3rd downs would only make him better, similar to when he get to rush opposite Mario Williams.

Alas, I suppose it was time to move on to the trio of youngsters and hope they step up. Doesn't make it any less sad to see a good guy, good player, and team leader like Jerry Hughes not get brought back.

He played with Williams back in 2015. A lot older now. 

Criminally underrated by this fanbase. He's not a top 5 pass rusher in the league or anything but he's been really good at hurrying the QB. Unfortunately he has suffered for years for being the only end on the team that other offenses have to account for. My worry is that fans will turn on Von Miller for lack of production for this same reason. He's not a game wrecker at this point in his career either.

Really wish the front office will bring Hughes back next season. It will definitely help the pass rush to have two guys to account for for the first time since Mario Williams was here. The younger guys may not pan out. 

• Like (+1) 2

My guess is that the Bills extended him a lowish offer before signing Lawson again, and Hughes just decided it wasn't worth the beating his body has been taking.  He was a solid pressure style rusher, even though he didn't get home enough.  Appreciate everything he did for the Bills over the years.

3 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

Do you have a link?  Would love to watch that.

one of the great plays by a Bills DLine in the last decade. Amazing play! Damn that was a great defense too bad our offense was brutal. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just would've been nice to see a little statement from the team or something thanking Jerry for his time here if, in fact, he's not coming back.

He was here for NINE years. Always a good, loyal Bill who did his job and never complained, even though we consistently stunk for the first half of his tenure here.

I'm not asking for a parade or anything, just a little thank you message on social media, where fans could add their own thanks in the comments section.

I know, I know, this is just business and I'm an overly sentimental goon. So be it. One of the best drought era Bills. Won't get to be part of our championship season in 2023. Just a shame is all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just would've been nice to see a little statement from the team or something thanking Jerry for his time here if, in fact, he's not coming back.

He was here for NINE years. Always a good, loyal Bill who did his job and never complained, even though we consistently stunk for the first half of his tenure here.

I'm not asking for a parade or anything, just a little thank you message on social media, where fans could add their own thanks in the comments section.

I know, I know, this is just business and I'm an overly sentimental goon. So be it. One of the best drought era Bills. Won't get to be part of our championship season in 2023. Just a shame is all.

The way he's kind of just slipping through the cracks as a FA not getting resigned is unfortunate. Will say that we are basically just interpreting that tweet as being about that nothing is really confirmed yet.

34 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Uhh, hoping that tweet is about anything other than football.  I for one completely agree the edition of Von Miller would do wonders for Mr Hughes.  Let us also not forget his level of play has NOT dropped off that much.  Just last year he was still one of the league leaders in QB pressures.  Maybe the sacks weren't there but I'd love to see him out there opposite Von on 3rd downs next year....I'd bet serious coin his sack numbers increase from last year. 

Is it merely a matter of Beane not wanting to pay him what he's asking for for his services?  

Yes, because he was replaced already. 

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think you see those things when a player like him is released, but in this case he wasn’t. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think you see those things when a player like him is released, but in this case he wasn’t. 

Fair point. Hadn't considered that.

I wonder if anyone will end up signing him and, if so, what his contract will look like.

I'd rather have him than Shaq Lawson, but I'm guessing he's not willing to sign for what Shaq signed for.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, wppete said:

one of the great plays by a Bills DLine in the last decade. Amazing play! Damn that was a great defense too bad our offense was brutal. 

I thought this was going to be another play.  A fumble return (I think he scored), where he made moves & avoided tackles that would've made Barry Sanders envious.

Been a big fan of Jerry’s over the past few years.

But unfortunately the time has come to part ways …and even Shaq Lawson at Vet minimum makes more sense than paying whatever would be the minimum Jerry would take for 1 more year ($3m?) ..

Thanks for the memories Jerry ..if you want to keep playing I hope someone outside the division (and not KC)  throws you a bone …

18 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

I thought this was going to be another play.  A fumble return (I think he scored), where he made moves & avoided tackles that would've made Barry Sanders envious.

You must mean this one...such a great play!

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.