Thoughts on New York City?

Miyagi-Do Karate

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Something has to change. It was a lot safer with stop and frisk. You can't deny that.

It was actually proven to NOT be successful and to NOT make streets safer.

So here I am .... denying it.

This is an otherwise decent thread.  Please don't ruin it by getting it pushed to PPP with crap like this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, muppy said:

dang I hadn't even thought about that aspect. Where I live Im fortunate that taxes are based on what you bought for, not appraised value. YIKES makes a Huge difference. The NYC exodus was/is indeed real. It indeed is a beautiful area. That does suck for old time owners.  It doesnt seem fair that NY State would tax those folks that way either.  BOO.

Of course, Mup, paying based on what you bought your property for isn’t really “fair” when you consider services provided and the burden carried by your new neighbors all other things being equal.   I understand the appeal, just an observation. 

In this scenario, a well-heeled lady of elegance and class, children grown, substantial assets accumulated over a lifetime of fancy-gowned balls and power-brokering, high end soirées, and massages by the infinity pool at the country club overlooking the harbor certainly has an advantage over a hard-scrabble blue collar kid from WNY trying to buy in for a better life for his family.  It has to be very mupsetting just trying to break through the green wall of high society. 

The other side of course is the re-evaluation of property values that is sure to follow in communities across the Empire State. 

When that process begins, as it likely will in communities across the state, the current tax situation will look like a grand bargain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Of course, Mup, paying based on what you bought your property for isn’t really “fair” when you consider services provided and the burden carried by your new neighbors all other things being equal.   I understand the appeal, just an observation. 

In this scenario, a well-heeled lady of elegance and class, children grown, substantial assets accumulated over a lifetime of fancy-gowned balls and power-brokering, high end soirées, and massages by the infinity pool at the country club overlooking the harbor certainly has an advantage over a hard-scrabble blue collar kid from WNY trying to buy in for a better life for his family.  It has to be very mupsetting just trying to break through the green wall of high society. 

The other side of course is the re-evaluation of property values that is sure to follow in communities across the Empire State. 

When that process begins, as it likely will in communities across the state, the current tax situation will look like a grand bargain.

Im telling you leo that if we were to be taxed based on current value my family would be displaced for financial burden just sayin'

lol taxes smaxes  come on mane haha .... I mean my style is not shall I say....so contentious ..best way I can put it

I definitey have empathy for folks who don't have some sort of financial advantages, be  it their own career, their family, portfolio ec... We discussed a similar subject before.  I am involved in homeless ministry..I get that life can be very hard for a myriad of reasons. 

I married a smart man and ridden on his coattails a few locales, semiconductor vagabonds haha. I love me some san diego yo...but if we hadnt have moved here when we did we could not afford to be here now today living in retirement splendor HA 🙂. prices are outrageous and yes even Rents too........Ive seen homes being passed down from one generation to the next  . Or people selling and leaving they cash out their home equity and retire.  Some folks are managing to buy  but dayum...anyway 

financial considerations give everyone pause to reflect and make crucial decisions.   I am incredulous at how expensive it is to buy property and am relieved we my family live where we do right Now.......I aint moving nowhere

so I guess to  close this miss elegance de muppet is and has been BLESSED.  Thanks be to God and my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

GRATEFUL amigo 

🙂 m

Edited by muppy

21 hours ago, rockpile said:

Now the people in Woodstock, Kingston, Saugerties, and other places an hour or so bus ride to the City are seeing property values rising so quickly, they cannot pay their taxes and many are not able to afford to renew their lease when it runs out and the rent has tripled. We stay in Woodstock for several days with friends every autumn, and we have had to scale down our rental. It is sad for the locals, in my opinion. It is a beautiful part of the Catskills that is becoming suburbia

Woodstock, Kingston, Saugerties are about 2 hours from NYC, not "an hour or so".  There have always been people commuting to NYC from these areas but probably not as many as there are now.  Again, this kind of thing is happening all around the country outside major cities.  All of Northern Virginia has become a Washington, DC suburb, out as far as Fredericksburg into the horse country beyond.   The outer suburbs of cities like Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Denver, and Chicago stretch out 50-100 miles from these cities.  Commutes are even worse in California.   Remote work since the pandemic has exacerbated the transition of exurbia into suburbia. 

Your claim that recently soaring property values have increased taxes for long time property owners is not accurate.  In NYS, recent price increases are not going to impact long time residents' tax bills until there's a general property reassessment  or unless the owners did remodeling.   It's more likely that new home buyers would see their taxes raised because they paid more for their properties than they would have last year.  Technically, local assessors in NYS aren't supposed to do that but sometimes they do.   An increase in population and demands for new or improved services (example might be establishing a municipal water system to replace private wells or paving more roads) can increase taxes for long time owners, but that's because tax rates increase and it applies to all taxpayers.   This is something that happens whenever there's large scale new development in a formerly largely rural area -- from the Catskills to the South Carolina Low Country to small towns outside Nashville.

20 hours ago, Greg S said:

Gun violence every single day. You hear stories on the news about innocent people being killed or wounded by stray bullets. People being pushed at subway stations onto the tracks which resulted more deaths as they were hit by the trains. The crimes in NYC are going up. Its not really a safe place right now.

Six people were killed and twelve more were wounded in downtown Sacramento, CA yesterday.  Last week, a twelve year old kid in South Carolina shot a classmate.  Violence ain't just a NYC problem.

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

They need to go back to stop and frisk. Cops would do that when they spotted someone suspicious looking. But they can't do that anymore because "people's rights". Screw people's rights. I think the safety of the public comes first and if someone is acting or looks suspicious then cops should be able to check it out. Saving lives is what's most important. How things are being done today clearly isn't working.

Spoken like somebody who thinks he is exempt from having his rights violated by the police or by some government entity just because he's never had his civil rights violated.   FYI, it can happen to you even if it's a minor thing and you are the most upstanding citizen. 

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is an otherwise decent thread.  Please don't ruin it by getting it pushed to PPP with crap like this.

I'll try to get it back on topic...

The wife and I go 1-3 times a year for a weekend, typically December to see the Christmas sights, and maybe one other time in the year to either see a concert or some of her friends.  Even though we've been doing this since we met, almost 8 years ago, we still find things to check out that we have never done before each trip.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

The wife and I go 1-3 times a year for a weekend, typically December to see the Christmas sights, and maybe one other time in the year to either see a concert or some of her friends.  Even though we've been doing this since we met, almost 8 years ago, we still find things to check out that we have never done before each trip.  

Yep ... always something different to do.  I haven't done the city in wintertime.  I just hate the cold that much.  But I might consider it, because I do think it would be cool around Christmas.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep ... always something different to do.  I haven't done the city in wintertime.  I just hate the cold that much.  But I might consider it, because I do think it would be cool around Christmas.

If there is one thing that NYC has..in abundance....there is no debate about this whatsoever.....what NYC has is Culture, Diversity and every cuisine imaginable. My time in the city was spent in museums and shopping, just strolling taking it all in. My daughter loves Times Square and the diner where the off Broadway folks perform on catwalks above the tables....The museums alone make NYC a top vacation destination. I would visit NYC to return to the Metropolitan and the  museum of Modern art for a destination in and out trip I freakin Loved both those places.... there are no words. The size and depth of what they have on display awesome.

. Your post made me think of Home Alone movies ...the closest I will get to the city at Christmas Im guessing ;-o

GREAT Town . THE FOOD THOUGH...........NYS overall kills the food game just sayin'. I was very impressed when I was there every time

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Something has to change. It was a lot safer with stop and frisk. You can't deny that.

That's not true in my experience.

deBlasio ended stop & frisk 8 years ago.  Until COVID, there was no problem.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I think maybe people who don't like the City tend to see it as one giant, unmanageable mess.

If they take the City and break it up into neighborhoods, or boroughs, or any smaller segment, then it is easier to deal with.  That's pretty much what the locals do.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

There is something about the NYC energy and Christmas that, when combined, is absolutely magical. I highly recommend it. In fact, I hope to join the wife there this December. Even just a few days is plenty to get in the spirit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Cuisine?

Boston dirty water hot dogs>NYC dirty water hot dogs.

There. I said it.

haha I want to add Ramen, french pastries from this parisian guy VERY successful in bushwick and the dumplings, oh the dumplings in China Town To DIE For. Katz deli anybody? Just a few favs. I even liked Juniors matzo ball soup :-)))

Edited by muppy

13 minutes ago, snafu said:

They've caught on in NYC and have a few places that sell it now.

A NY-style pizza with cup and char is what I shoot for when I make my own pizza.  Would love to try some down in the city!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoTier said:

Woodstock, Kingston, Saugerties are about 2 hours from NYC, not "an hour or so".  There have always been people commuting to NYC from these areas but probably not as many as there are now.  Again, this kind of thing is happening all around the country outside major cities.  All of Northern Virginia has become a Washington, DC suburb, out as far as Fredericksburg into the horse country beyond.   The outer suburbs of cities like Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, Denver, and Chicago stretch out 50-100 miles from these cities.  Commutes are even worse in California.   Remote work since the pandemic has exacerbated the transition of exurbia into suburbia. 

Your claim that recently soaring property values have increased taxes for long time property owners is not accurate.  In NYS, recent price increases are not going to impact long time residents' tax bills until there's a general property reassessment  or unless the owners did remodeling.   It's more likely that new home buyers would see their taxes raised because they paid more for their properties than they would have last year.  Technically, local assessors in NYS aren't supposed to do that but sometimes they do.   An increase in population and demands for new or improved services (example might be establishing a municipal water system to replace private wells or paving more roads) can increase taxes for long time owners, but that's because tax rates increase and it applies to all taxpayers.   This is something that happens whenever there's large scale new development in a formerly largely rural area -- from the Catskills to the South Carolina Low Country to small towns outside Nashville.

Six people were killed and twelve more were wounded in downtown Sacramento, CA yesterday.  Last week, a twelve year old kid in South Carolina shot a classmate.  Violence ain't just a NYC problem.

Spoken like somebody who thinks he is exempt from having his rights violated by the police or by some government entity just because he's never had his civil rights violated.   FYI, it can happen to you even if it's a minor thing and you are the most upstanding citizen. 

I understand the broader point of crime in general, but it seems sort of silly to point to all the other places in the world that have a crime issue in a thread specifically about NYC.  I

There's a problem there.  It's not a secret.  These are not the words of a Mayor NOT concerned about current crime and the trends looking forward.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/04/1078358105/nyc-mayor-eric-adams-applauds-federal-help-to-fight-crime

ADAMS: I believe it's a combination. And I continue to say we have many rivers that are feeding the sea of violence in our city. And we have to dam each river. And the president's visit yesterday was one of the dammings that we're calling for. And that's to stop the flow of illegal guns in our city.

But there's other things - the housing crisis. The mental health is another river. So these rivers are really filling up the sea. And that's my job - to dam these rivers.

I was in NYC last July, not far from Time's Square.  The police presence was considerable as a person had been shot in Times Square just a few nights earlier.  We had no issues that particular night, though I typically keep my head on a swivel to begin with.  

Cool place--never my cup of tea generally speaking when it came to larger cities. My wife grew up near White Plains and used to head into the city to hit the dance clubs (late 1970s). She liked the excitement of NYC but never pushed to live there.  (Sidebar, somewhat crime related-  I have to check with her again, but there was some Son of Sam connection to a club she was at one night.  Either he shot someone nearby when she was there, or police traced him back to the club that night.  I can say with confidence she was not implicated in any way, though she loves those Dateline murder mysteries and is always trying to get me to eat organic green jello.  Says it's a great source of essential vitamins, and why would anyone make that up?). 

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I understand the broader point of crime in general, but it seems sort of silly to point to all the other places in the world that have a crime issue in a thread specifically about NYC.  I

There's a problem there.  It's not a secret.  These are not the words of a Mayor NOT concerned about current crime and the trends looking forward.  

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/04/1078358105/nyc-mayor-eric-adams-applauds-federal-help-to-fight-crime

ADAMS: I believe it's a combination. And I continue to say we have many rivers that are feeding the sea of violence in our city. And we have to dam each river. And the president's visit yesterday was one of the dammings that we're calling for. And that's to stop the flow of illegal guns in our city.

But there's other things - the housing crisis. The mental health is another river. So these rivers are really filling up the sea. And that's my job - to dam these rivers.

I was in NYC last July, not far from Time's Square.  The police presence was considerable as a person had been shot in Times Square just a few nights earlier.  We had no issues that particular night, though I typically keep my head on a swivel to begin with.  

Cool place--never my cup of tea generally speaking when it came to larger cities. My wife grew up near White Plains and used to head into the city to hit the dance clubs (late 1970s). She liked the excitement of NYC but never pushed to live there.  (Sidebar, somewhat crime related-  I have to check with her again, but there was some Son of Sam connection to a club she was at one night.  Either he shot someone nearby when she was there, or police traced him back to the club that night.  I can say with confidence she was not implicated in any way, though she loves those Dateline murder mysteries and is always trying to get me to eat organic green jello.  Says it's a great source of essential vitamins, and why would anyone make that up?). 

My point was simply that rising crime isn't unique to NYC as some posters seem to be claiming but a growing problem all over the country, and certainly violence isn't restricted to large cities or metros. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.