Thoughts on New York City?

Miyagi-Do Karate

love the city, but i'm an in and out in 3-4 days kinda guy.  There was a period of time where i'd go to a city in the north east almost every other months.  nyc, boston, toronto, pittsburg, etc.  have a nice dinner, see friends, maybe a show, then we peace out.  since the pandemic, i haven't been anywhere due to the hastle.  we're finally taking our first family trip since covid, and it's still a massive pain in the ass.  

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

5% over ask would make Long Island the coldest real estate market in the nation.  Waiving inspections, buying site unseen, houses selling in hours has been the norm in all hot metro areas.

3.3 million took the MTA on March 31st.  I'm guessing at least half of them lived.  Crime rates are up all over the country.  This isn't specific to NYC.  

With remote work opportunities people no longer need to live to close to the workplace.  Its driving people from all HCOL areas to lower cost of living areas.  The narrative is the same across California, NY, Illinois.  Thats the migration.  No discussion of politics is necessary.

You obviously don't know half of the story or more likely, refuse to recognize the truth. Your pointless quip about "half of the riders being alive' is utterly ridiculous. Are you making a claim that the crime rates are not WAY up?  Are you tring to make any point at all or just peddle an ideology?

You make it sound as if Long Island is a low income area. It isn't, nor is it unusual to pay in the area of $15K in property tax for a small cape. And btw, the people leaving the city are not your blue collar working class. They are mostly rich white people who send their kiddies to segregated private schools for 40 or 50K per year, per child.  So, they can easily plunk down a cool million dollars for a house and pay 30K in property tax and come out way ahead, especially if they have multiple kids. And like you said, the opportunity to work remote changes things. It saves them the HUGE expense of the Long Island Railroad and the dangers of the subway system.

As annoying as some of these above mentioned folks can be, they are the tax base. The city is in big trouble but as I said, it has bounced back before. 

On 4/2/2022 at 7:12 AM, Rico said:

I used to love going up there pre-pandemic, mostly for concerts… but now after hearing all the horror stories, I have no desire to ever return.

Horror stories? Like what? I grew up outside NYC and visit often. I have never had a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, teef said:

love the city, but i'm an in and out in 3-4 days kinda guy.  There was a period of time where i'd go to a city in the north east almost every other months.  nyc, boston, toronto, pittsburg, etc.  have a nice dinner, see friends, maybe a show, then we peace out.  since the pandemic, i haven't been anywhere due to the hastle.  we're finally taking our first family trip since covid, and it's still a massive pain in the ass.  

The 'rents going?

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The 'rents going?

just the wife and kids.  no parents, ( i think that's what you were asking).  my mom is 82 and has trouble getting around.  my dad is the same age an he still works.  they do have the important task of taking care of the dog.  the dog is old, they're old...it works out perfect. 

Just now, teef said:

just the wife and kids.  no parents, ( i think that's what you were asking).  my mom is 82 and has trouble getting around.  my dad is the same age an he still works.  they do have the important task of taking care of the dog.  the dog is old, they're old...it works out perfect. 

I thought they went on every vacation with you ... or was that the in-laws?

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I thought they went on every vacation with you ... or was that the in-laws?

ohhhh!  that's the in-laws.  they're great but we need some strict family time.  besides, we're going to turks and caico, and i'm not paying for that *****.

Edited by teef

1 minute ago, teef said:

ohhhh!  that's the in-laws.  they're great but we need some strict family time.  besides, we're going to turks and caico, and i'm not paying for that *****.

Nice!  Cockburn Town sounds like just the place for you!

33 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Horror stories? Like what? I grew up outside NYC and visit often. I have never had a problem. 

Gun violence every single day. You hear stories on the news about innocent people being killed or wounded by stray bullets. People being pushed at subway stations onto the tracks which resulted more deaths as they were hit by the trains. The crimes in NYC are going up. Its not really a safe place right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You obviously don't know half of the story or more likely, refuse to recognize the truth. Your pointless quip about "half of the riders being alive' is utterly ridiculous. Are you making a claim that the crime rates are not WAY up?  Are you tring to make any point at all or just peddle an ideology?

You make it sound as if Long Island is a low income area. It isn't, nor is it unusual to pay in the area of $15K in property tax for a small cape. And btw, the people leaving the city are not your blue collar working class. They are mostly rich white people who send their kiddies to segregated private schools for 40 or 50K per year, per child.  So, they can easily plunk down a cool million dollars for a house and pay 30K in property tax and come out way ahead, especially if they have multiple kids. And like you said, the opportunity to work remote changes things. It saves them the HUGE expense of the Long Island Railroad and the dangers of the subway system.

As annoying as some of these above mentioned folks can be, they are the tax base. The city is in big trouble but as I said, it has bounced back before. 

What point are you trying to make with hyperbolic claims about the safety of riding the subway?  3 million people ride the MTA per day. You make it sound like they're all playing Russian roulette.  You're still safer riding the train all night in Manhattan than you are walking around downtown Buffalo or even Rochester late at night.  By the way, crime rates are up all over the country.  I doubt that's a factor of NYC politics. 

I've already explained why people are leaving HCOL areas.  This is also happening all over the country which is no surprise.  Its also not a factor of NYC politics.  

And then we have the housing market.  If people are flooding to Long Island and house prices are only up 5% consider it a win.  People are paying 25% over ask in Rochester f@#$ing New York, and waiving inspections to get in first.  I won't even tell you whats happening in Austin, Tampa, Phoenix and a bunch of other southern cities.  

You obviously think that what is happening all over the country is unique to NYC.  When you view everything through the lens of politics you arrive at funny opinions.  Like advancing narratives that Chicago is basically Aleppo and a day in NYC is like reenacting The Warriors.  

The pandemic has been a great reckoning.  Many people are reevaluating their priorities and former working lives after a year of furloughs, homeschooling children, and lockdowns.  Many people got more sleep, rest and time to take care of themselves during Covid which has them rethinking the whole rat race.  Among job candidates, remote work opportunity and work life balance are the two top priorities now.  Half are willing to take a lateral move or even a pay cut for this flexibility.  Business have found out fully remote work is a viable option.  As a result, the job market for white collar professionals is now national rather than local (it might even be international as I am frequently getting contacted from headhunters based out of the UK now).  Lower income positions are generally not afforded this luxury as their jobs still require proximity to the office/job site.  Its no surprise that people are now realizing theres an opportunity to make NYC or Silicon Valley money while paying a Texas or Florida cost of living.  Its no surprise that after 2 years of Covid restrictions, destruction and displacement of the service/hospitality industry, and another generational widening of the wealth gap between haves and have nots that crime rates are up.    But sure, I'm just peddling ideology and this is all unique to NYC and their no good, dirty politics.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Gun violence every single day. You hear stories on the news about innocent people being killed or wounded by stray bullets. People being pushed at subway stations onto the tracks which resulted more deaths as they were hit by the trains. The crimes in NYC are going up. Its not really a safe place right now.

Exactly. And not to pick on NYC, I live in North Baltimore County and I won’t go downtown here anymore either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rockpile said:

Now the people in Woodstock, Kingston, Saugerties, and other places an hour or so bus ride to the City are seeing property values rising so quickly, they cannot pay their taxes and many are not able to afford to renew their lease when it runs out and the rent has tripled. We stay in Woodstock for several days with friends every autumn, and we have had to scale down our rental. It is sad for the locals, in my opinion. It is a beautiful part of the Catskills that is becoming suburbia

dang I hadn't even thought about that aspect. Where I live Im fortunate that taxes are based on what you bought for, not appraised value. YIKES makes a Huge difference. The NYC exodus was/is indeed real. It indeed is a beautiful area. That does suck for old time owners.  It doesnt seem fair that NY State would tax those folks that way either.  BOO.

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

It's not just what I hear on the news. I've heard from people that work in NYC that things took a turn for the worse during the pandemic. Rampant drug use in and around the Times Square area was one example given. Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in spending time in NYC right now. 

21 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

It's not just what I hear on the news. I've heard from people that work in NYC that things took a turn for the worse during the pandemic. Rampant drug use in and around the Times Square area was one example given. Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in spending time in NYC right now. 

It's crazy because for awhile it seemed like NYC turned itself around from what it was during the 70s-90s to be much safer.  Sounds like it's trending in the opposite direction right now.

• Like (+1) 1

I met a fellow Bills fan on the subway just this morning.

We had a great talk about the Bills and the Sabres as we rode to wherever we were going. Left each other with a fist bump and a “go Bills”.

Big city, small world. That’s what I call it. 

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It was very bad during the worst of the pandemic.

It is much more “normal” now, but not what it was in early 2020. Not yet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, snafu said:

I met a fellow Bills fan on the subway just this morning.

We had a great talk about the Bills and the Sabres as we rode to wherever we were going. Left each other with a fist bump and a “go Bills”.

Big city, small world. That’s what I call it. 

It was very bad during the worst of the pandemic.

It is much more “normal” now, but not what it was in early 2020. Not yet.

Appreciate the feedback. I trust word of mouth more than other sources. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Its no surprise that after 2 years of Covid restrictions, destruction and displacement of the service/hospitality industry, and another generational widening of the wealth gap between haves and have nots that crime rates are up.   

But sure, I'm just peddling ideology 

Yep. Have a wonderful day.

• Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It's crazy because for awhile it seemed like NYC turned itself around from what it was during the 70s-90s to be much safer.  Sounds like it's trending in the opposite direction right now.

They need to go back to stop and frisk. Cops would do that when they spotted someone suspicious looking. But they can't do that anymore because "people's rights". Screw people's rights. I think the safety of the public comes first and if someone is acting or looks suspicious then cops should be able to check it out. Saving lives is what's most important. How things are being done today clearly isn't working.

• Vomit 3
  • Dislike 2

29 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They need to go back to stop and frisk. Cops would do that when they spotted someone suspicious looking. But they can't do that anymore because "people's rights". Screw people's rights. I think the safety of the public comes first and if someone is acting or looks suspicious then cops should be able to check it out. Saving lives is what's most important. How things are being done today clearly isn't working.

angry adam sandler GIF

Your post was by far the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.