How many of you guys are stocking up on food?

NewEra

we still have stupid ***** in our basement after panic buying for the pandemic.  unless it's day to day stuff in bulk that i know we'll use, no more over shopping.  i'll just manage with what i can get and bend over for the cost.

oddly enough that most shocking price rise for me so far is chlorine for the pool.  we use the 3" disks you feed into the tube to release over time.  They come in a tub and last year i paid a bit under $80.  Just bought some on Saturday because they were almost sold out.  the new cost...$170.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

we still have stupid ***** in our basement after panic buying for the pandemic.  unless it's day to day stuff in bulk that i know we'll use, no more over shopping.  i'll just manage with what i can get and bend over for the cost.

oddly enough that most shocking price rise for me so far is chlorine for the pool.  we use the 3" disks you feed into the tube to release over time.  They come in a tub and last year i paid a bit under $80.  Just bought some on Saturday because they were almost sold out.  the new cost...$170.

Stuff that spoils before you use it sure isn't a bargain, even at half the current price!   OTOH, it makes sense to buy some extra non-perishable items like paper products or laundry detergent or shampoo when they're on sale, so you don't have to pay full price because you need it.   I wasn't really impacted by the toilet paper shortage during the pandemic because I always have an adequate stockpile of essentials, and I was able to restock my supply when it was available.

Toilet paper? Primitive savages! Get a bidet and two hand towels. You mount it to your toilet, super simple plumbing even teef can handle.

No more mud butt, no more itchies, easier on your septic. And a perfectly clean balloon knot every time.

Seriously. Get a bidet. My life advice to you, dear reader.

• Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Toilet paper? Primitive savages! Get a bidet and two hand towels. You mount it to your toilet, super simple plumbing even teef can handle.

No more mud butt, no more itchies, easier on your septic. And a perfectly clean balloon knot every time.

The Perfectly Clean Balloon Knots would be a killer band name.

• Haha (+1) 8

19 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Stuff that spoils before you use it sure isn't a bargain, even at half the current price!   OTOH, it makes sense to buy some extra non-perishable items like paper products or laundry detergent or shampoo when they're on sale, so you don't have to pay full price because you need it.   I wasn't really impacted by the toilet paper shortage during the pandemic because I always have an adequate stockpile of essentials, and I was able to restock my supply when it was available.

exactly.  i buy a lot in bulk for the non-perishable.  we always have paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning products, etc.  it's cheaper and we have the space for it.  

i remember seeing a guy leaving bjs minutes after it opened, with a cart i'd say about 80-90% completely full of red meat.  it must have been over a grand.  even if he froze everything properly, i just can't imagine it's nearly as good.

• Like (+1) 1

We have multiple freezers so we are always stocking up and friends of ours have said they do not need to go shopping because our house looks like a pantry.  Despite this friends are always giving us surplus food whether it was something misordered which cannot be returned, something extra from delivery truck or leftovers from their restaurant. The way we get things unasked you would think we were poor but we make more than any of the gift givers.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, NewEra said:

Considering the issues bound to happen down the line, have any of you purchased backup food? My wife just asked if we should order a 3-6 month supply pack.  Some are pretty affordable too, considering how important it could become if **** REALLY hits the fan.  

i didn’t really think seriously about it until now and just wanted to get y’all’s thoughts.

You would be wise to stock up on some non-perishable foods. Two or three months worth would be good.

The supply chain issues are going to get worse before they get better, so now is the time to stock up.

It's similar to investing in the right crypto and metals. If you happen to know big changes are coming.

Go to 4patriots.com if you want to buy some 3-month food kits. Freeze dried food that will last 25 years.

Like the old Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared".

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, teef said:

I believe one of the major production facilities had a big fire or something last year. I couldn’t even get Dichlor from our local pool store. Luckily I had a supply and we have a salt water chlorine generator so we don’t go through near as much. 

On 4/4/2022 at 2:40 PM, Golden*Wheels said:

To this day I never understood the obsession with buying TP when Covid hit. I could understand cleaning supplies, hand wipes, sanitizer but WTF was TP going to do against Covid. For a while there it was a challenge to find TP at the stores.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

To this day I never understood the obsession with buying TP when Covid hit. I could understand cleaning supplies, hand wipes, sanitizer but WTF was TP going to do against Covid. For a while there it was a challenge to find TP at the stores.

I think it was due to uncertainty in 2020 that any staple goods would be available given the combination of the incompetent federal response and not knowing how severe lockdowns could be. Seeing states having to compete with each other on the open market for medical supplies with no federal coordination caused unnecessary panic.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, teef said:

If you have excess food in your basement you're not going to use, chances are near certainty there's a food pantry near you that can help you out with that thing.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

This is actually pretty simple. 

It had to do with the fact that working adults and school kids who were spending 9-12 hrs a day, 5 days a week, wiping their butts with institutionally packaged paper, were now at home 24/7 looking for home-sized rolls to do the deed.

Manufacturers could and did change around production to meet the demand for different packaging of their product, but it took some time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

TP was the last thing I worried about.  Worse comes to worse - get a butt rag and wash it in rain water.  Just prior to the pandemic I stocked up on .270 Winchester, 12GA, and .22 ammo.  If I can boil water and shoot animals my family would be ok.  I was also determined not to share any game with my anti neighbors.  Go hungry!  

There was a point in time when people were saying .22LR was going to be the new currency when crap hit the fan.  

9 hours ago, Irv said:

TP was the last thing I worried about.  Worse comes to worse - get a butt rag and wash it in rain water.  Just prior to the pandemic I stocked up on .270 Winchester, 12GA, and .22 ammo.  If I can boil water and shoot animals my family would be ok.  I was also determined not to share any game with my anti neighbors.  Go hungry!  

There was a point in time when people were saying .22LR was going to be the new currency when crap hit the fan.  

The people saying things like that have a number of dystopian fantasies that they are eager to act out.

• Like (+1) 5

What's the best food for long term storage?

On 4/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Irv said:

Not going to eat any food with fiber in it? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.