Who are your draft sleepers?

mannc

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Draft sleeper on offense Jeremy Ruckert from Ohio State cause the Bucks system doesn’t really utilize the Tight End he is going to make someone very happy in the middle rounds as the kid can play.

Draft Sleeper on D…Troy Anderson the linebacker from Montana State he really is a poor man’s Micah Parsons 6’4 243lbs absolutely did everything at that school and also ran 4.42 40 

Anderson actually made all conference as a QB one year and all conference as a MLB the next.  In fact, he was the FCS defensive player of the year for 2021.  In a class of athletic LB's...he actualyl might be the most athletic.

But I agree with the poster after you, he might not be a sleeper any longer.

As far as names not mentioned, Danny Gray WR SMU. 

Can make plays in all three levels, ran a 4.33 40 at the Combine. 800 yards and 10 TD's in 10 games last year.  A threat to take it to the house on any catch.

On defense, the truest sleeper may be Amare Barno from V-tech.  6'6, 245 lbs and ran a 4.34 40, a 37 inch vertical and an 11 foot broad jump.,   He needs work, but I can think of a fast DE/LB who just joined the Bills who might be willing to give him some tips.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Quay Walker.

He's what the Bills hoped Tremaine Edmunds would become.  Similar size & athlete, but has the instincts, read and react & angle pursuit that subjective Bills fans still try and convince themselves Edmunds might one day learn.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Like he went in a back room and took a nap…. Or was asleep during the meeting?

***** incredible story… fans really though that guy was going to turn the franchise around. 😅

During the meeting!! He was sound asleep right at the table. The entire football ops team was at the meeting. They carried on because obviously he wasn’t really scouting and/or making picks. He woke up and asked the scout sitting next to him who they were talking about. Marv turned a whole bunch of pages in the binder to get to the player that they were talking about. He then stood up and started doing toe touches.

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The thing that bothers me about Strange is that he’s old. That’s fine when you are a finished product, but he is raw and old. He is like 8 months younger than Ryan Bates. Something like that. But I do like Strange. 

He is scheme specific. Really struggled Senior Bowl week anchoring against good competition and I think that will stick in the minds of evaluators who were there. The age thing doesn't help either. In a Shanahan style stretch zone where they can use his movement skills and quick feet I think he could be a good, maybe even very good, NFL player. But if you run any sort of gap / power scheme you should just take him off the board IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

Anderson actually made all conference as a QB one year and all conference as a MLB the next.  In fact, he was the FCS defensive player of the year for 2021.  In a class of athletic LB's...he actualyl might be the most athletic.

But I agree with the poster after you, he might not be a sleeper any longer.

As far as names not mentioned, Danny Gray WR SMU. 

Can make plays in all three levels, ran a 4.33 40 at the Combine. 800 yards and 10 TD's in 10 games last year.  A threat to take it to the house on any catch.

On defense, the truest sleeper may be Amare Barno from V-tech.  6'6, 245 lbs and ran a 4.34 40, a 37 inch vertical and an 11 foot broad jump.,   He needs work, but I can think of a fast DE/LB who just joined the Bills who might be willing to give him some tips.

Yes please on Gray and Barno 

51 minutes ago, Estro said:

Quay Walker.

He's what the Bills hoped Tremaine Edmunds would become.  Similar size & athlete, but has the instincts, read and react & angle pursuit that subjective Bills fans still try and convince themselves Edmunds might one day learn.

Yes please. Or Darren Beavers 

Edited by mrags

There is a lot going against him because he is just sooo small - and due to that he is likely to be undrafted, which would really make him a sleeper.

But I’m going to go with Deven Thompkins at Utah State. Not only is he fast but he is physical and routinely won jump balls against single and double teams at like 5’7’’ and 155 pounds. On top of that he is a pretty awesome person off the field and high energy on the field.

He may be too small to make it in the league, but he has some of that Steve Smith little dude energy. Not as big but faster. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The thing that bothers me about Strange is that he’s old. That’s fine when you are a finished product, but he is raw and old. He is like 8 months younger than Ryan Bates. Something like that. But I do like Strange. 

Agreed but his RAS score is pretty high so I don't see his athleticism being an issue. 

13 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

Sterling Weatherford - S, Miamia(OH)

Jeffrey Gunter - DE, Coastal Caroline

Marquan McCall - DT, Kentucky 

*note - this while I like these players I don't know if the DE or DT would fit our scheme. Weatherford would be great as a big Nickle option.

Thanks for the share! I was watching some film on these guys, McCall especially, seeing as IDL still could use a little beef. Loved what I saw, until the Combine interview:

Dude is from Detroit, but he is a Pat******S fan, and he loves Tom Brady... No thanks. Hard pass.

I mentioned Cam Aikers as my top RB when he came out. He ran behind one of the worst olines in college and still ran well. Having said this, my sleeper is Jashaun Corbin, RB FSU. He also ran behind a very crappy o-line. Any FSU follower here knows that line was terrible. Jashaun transferred from Texas a&m a couple of years ago. He had a 6.2 yds per carry average and caught his fair share of passes last year. He's no Aikers, but he showed up and was FSU's main back. He had 1/2 the touches as Cam and would have matched or exceeded Cam. Jashaun is not on any list I see, so could be a 6-7th round pick. Possibly a fa pickup. He would most likely take over for Zach moss. Great value and a sleeper IMO.

1 hour ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Love WR Khalil Shakir from Boise State, feel like he’s vastly underrated with all the receivers in the draft but think he’s gonna be special.  Also live down here in Florida and seen S Markquese Bell from Florida A&M play and he was all over the field making plays. 

Yes Khalil Shakir can play on the boundaries but also in the slot.   I think the slot is where he will be most effective.  Seems to really have a knack for driving the ball upfield right after he makes the catch.  Could be Crowder or McKenzie’s eventual replacement.  I like him a lot.

I also really like Alec Pierce.  Definitely a boundary guy, has great size 6’3 213lbs.   Phenomenal speed 4.33 40.  Great hands, smooth effortless runner who is deceptively really fast.  Intelligent route runner.  Had 8 TD’s this past year.    I think he could end up being a 3rd steal.   Will definitely help stretch the field.

Okay draft sleepers time..... often when you get to this point guys who you think are sleepers when you start the process have started to generate buzz and are asleep no longer. Tariq Woolen is a guy who falls into that category this year. He started as a sleeper he might now even be getting overhyped. Jelani Woods might be another. There are, however, still some guys out there that I would consider sleepers.

Bo Melton, Wide Receiver, Rutgers

6th round grade

Melton was a guy who caught my eye at the Senior Bowl. A shifty slot receiver with speed who ran well at the Combine, he was consistently generating separation in Mobile even when the ball didn't come his way and demonstrated a few moves when it did. The more I looked into him and his Rutgers film the more I see a receiver who while never likely to make a starting slot will have some value in those gimmick type roles - sweeps, reverses, bubble screens. He also has a real chance to stick on a roster as a rookie because he has experience as a kick returner, a punt returner and a gunner on special teams. The more you can do.....

Jaylen Watson, Cornerback, Washington State

6th round grade

Watson is a developmental corner with size and physicality, perfect for a zone scheme where he keeps the game in front of him. While he has decent long speed and runs in the mid 4.4s he isn't the twitchiest and he isn't as smooth as you'd ideally like in his movements. But in the right system and with the right coaching he could end up developing into a solid #2 corner. 

Cordell Volson, Guard, North Dakota State

5th round grade

Volson is a college tackle who could offer some tackle depth in the pros but I think his foot speed would be a problem to be a long term NFL tackle and at the Shrine Bowl, where he was a stand out, he played inside at guard. Better fit for a power run team than a finesses, pass first, offense but he has a chance to be an NFL starter in the right scheme.

JT Woods, Safety, Baylor

3rd round grade

Woods might be another of those guys who was a sleeper early in the process but now has been found because of his measurables. 6'2 safeties who can run 4.36 as he did at the Combine don't make it out of day 2 as a rule. He has some rawness to his game and he would probably benefit from starting as a backup and being brought along more slowly but he has a high ceiling. If he reaches it this is a potential pro-bowl level player. 

Josh Paschal, Edge, Kentucky

4th round grade

I have seen people all over the map on Paschal. Some like him as a day 2 player, others have him going as late as the 6th or 7th round. He is an older prospect at 23 having sat out a year of his college career after developing cancer. He won his battle with the condition and now deserved his shot at the NFL. I think he is a rotational base end in a 4-3 who will play the run really well and push the pocket, while notching 4 or 5 sacks a year. 

D'Vontae Price, Running Back, Florida International

5th round

Price is an intriguing size, speed combination. He reminds me a bit of Karlos Williams in that he runs quite upright and is a see hole, hit hole, type runner. Similar to Karlos before he went off the rails his best fit for me is as a #2 complimentary back to more of a shifty outside runner. Actually wouldn't mind the Bills taking a shot. 

Isaiah Weston, Wide Receiver, Northern Iowa

6th round

Okay this one is a real punt. I like a lot of what Isaiah Weston does. He popped to me when watching tape of the Northern Iowa offense in evaluating Trevor Penning. He is 6'4, runs a 4.42, plays with physicality and demonstrates a developed understanding of how to use leverage in his route running. The questions with him are obviously - level of competition, and worryingly - hands. His hands are really inconsistent. Now that would stop you spending a major asset on him, but worth a late round flier. Absolutely. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2022 at 7:36 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Interesting way to put it in perspective. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Nice post.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Strange too. But back to football.😉

I hear more people talk about being older and less finished,  but I think this year we may need to change our thinking a little. There are a lot of draft prospects from what I can tell took the opportunity of the extra year of eligibility, plus with Covid shortened seasons It may have impacted growth a little. Could a NFL coaching staff speed up that growth? Say in 1 year instead of 2? A lot of people talk about how young Edmunds is/was, maybe it's not a bad thing for a guy to be a little older. To add to that, players seem to be playing a little longer than they have in the past, so you could still have him for 10+ years.. Just some of my thoughts.🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.