2022 Concerts: Who Is Everyone Going to See?

Gugny

Got tickets for Springsteen last week for March in DC.  Yeah, I know all the controversy about the ticket prices and such, but I got a pair of pretty good seats for $200/each and was in and out of Ticketmaster in about 10 minutes.  

First saw him in Rochester in December 1980 during The River tour and have seen him several times since, the last being The River revival tour in 2016.  Always an awesome three hour plus show.

• 2 weeks later...

This past Wednesday (8/17) we went to see Loverboy, Styx and REO at SPAC (Saratoga Springs, NY).

Loverboy was surprisingly good.  I had literally zero interest in catching their set, but alas, we all made our way in before they began.  

Mike Reno - now 67 and twice the size of his younger self - was pretty much a statue for the 45 minutes they played.  Didn't matter, though.  They sounded great and played a ton of familiar hits.  Even though he was stuck in cement, the band managed to engage the crowd.  I was surprised at how many people were already in their seats/on the lawn when they began.  The crowd was TOTALLY into them and it was pretty cool to see.

Styx was phenomenal.  Tommy Shaw - now 68 - continues to drink from the fountain of youth.  His voice has not taken one hit.  The Dennis DeYoung replacement dude (Lawrence Gowan) is absolutely fantastic.  Hard to believe he's been their guy for over 20 years now.  He does every DeYoung song justice and has an amazing stage presence.  The only lowlight of their hour-long set was Mr. Roboto, which it appears they don't play every night.  Lucky me.  I hate that ***** song.  Other than that, they easily stole the night.

REO was very good ... but I felt disappointed.  They played some crappy and unfamiliar songs throughout the middle of their set and the vibe wasn't great.  This was my second time seeing REO and Styx together (first time was nearly 20 years ago).  At the first show, Journey was the headliner (yuck); REO opened and Styx played second.  REO stole that show without a doubt.  Maybe it was because it was a shorter set and they left the crap out.  But, all in all, they were very good.  Kevin Cronin - now 70 - still has pipes and a ton of energy.  We actually left before they were done, which sucked because I didn't get to hear Roll With the Changes (my favorite REO tune).  We had endured enough pouring rain for the evening (had lawn seats) and decided to get out early.

Bottom line ... I'd definitely recommend catching this show if you can get decently-priced tickets.  Great nostalgia.  Great tunes.  FANTASTIC people watching.  A bunch of boomers and Gen Xers partying like it's 1989.  Good stuff.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

Billy Strings was ***** awesome. So, so good live. That was my first time seeing them, but it won't be my last. Acoustic, upbeat, shake-yer-ass bluegrass in the first set. Then, after the sun went down, they came out and played more electric, spaced out, improvisatory stuff in the second set. So one could say they followed the tried and true Grateful Dead method. It worked!

Going to see a bunch of music I'm not familiar with tomorrow. Courtney Barnett, WaXahatchee, Sleater Kinney, and Fred Armisen. I know Armisen, of course, though I have no idea what kind of set he'll do (comedy? music?). A friend had an extra ticket and offered to take me. I'm not one to turn down a free outdoor summer concert. I like discovering new music. On first listen, WaXahatchee is pretty awesome. Barnett not bad either. Sleater Kinney is kind of not for me, but I'll put up with one unfavorable act if it means a bunch of other good music.

Trey Anastasio Band, Ben Harper, and two nights of Bob Weir and Wolf Bros still to come.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Billy Strings was ***** awesome. So, so good live. That was my first time seeing them, but it won't be my last. Acoustic, upbeat, shake-yer-ass bluegrass in the first set. Then, after the sun went down, they came out and played more electric, spaced out, improvisatory stuff in the second set. So one could say they followed the tried and true Grateful Dead method. It worked!

Going to see a bunch of music I'm not familiar with tomorrow. Courtney Barnett, WaXahatchee, Sleater Kinney, and Fred Armisen. I know Armisen, of course, though I have no idea what kind of set he'll do (comedy? music?). A friend had an extra ticket and offered to take me. I'm not one to turn down a free outdoor summer concert. I like discovering new music. On first listen, WaXahatchee is pretty awesome. Barnett not bad either. Sleater Kinney is kind of not for me, but I'll put up with one unfavorable act if it means a bunch of other good music.

Trey Anastasio Band, Ben Harper, and two nights of Bob Weir and Wolf Bros still to come.

You're going to LOVE Courtney Barnett.  She's put out some incredible music in a short time. Katie Crutchfield aka Waxahatchie is also awesome.  Sleater Kinney and Fred armisen lends itself to a potential portlandia vibe😂.  I'm about to buy Trey/Goose tickets myself 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

You're going to LOVE Courtney Barnett.  She's put out some incredible music in a short time. Katie Crutchfield aka Waxahatchie is also awesome.  Sleater Kinney and Fred armisen lends itself to a potential portlandia vibe😂.  I'm about to buy Trey/Goose tickets myself 

The venue I'm seeing them at is 30 minutes outside of Portland. 

Based on the location and the lineup, I'm picturing a sea of hipsters for sure.

(side note: Once, while working at a hotel front desk, I waited on Fred Armisen in drag. Like the picture below. They were a filming a Portlandia sketch in our lobby. He walked up to me, and the first thing he said, totally deadpan was "Hi. I don't really look like this. I'm in a costume". It took all the effort I could muster not to laugh at the whole situation.)

port_s6_aq_0923_0798_custom-f79b8c7e25d9

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When Levon Helm was alive, I used to see Fagen on keyboards for performances at 'The Barn', in Woodstock. I never saw Steely Dan, but Fagen is a first rate keyboard player!

Somehow his piano work is lost in the ether... the man knows the keyboard whether piano or the organ and it's varieties.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Somehow his piano work is lost in the ether... the man knows the keyboard whether piano or the organ and it's varieties.

And don't forget the melodica! 

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I like Steely Dan, but @ The Barn, Fagen's duties were playing the Ivory's.

There is a familial connection to Levon Helm, but I'm not quite sure, what it was.

Once Levon passed, the Fagen appearances, stopped.

Donald's wife, Libby Titus, used to be married to Levon.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Styx was phenomenal.  

REO was very good ... but I felt disappointed. 

Saw those two with someone else, maybe it was Don Felder, a few years ago.  Styx was the middle act, REO was the closer.  Styx should have been the closing act.  I don't know why they continue to keep REO as the closer.  A lot of people left our concert early also, even with the nice weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, Logic said:

The venue I'm seeing them at is 30 minutes outside of Portland. 

Based on the location and the lineup, I'm picturing a sea of hipsters for sure.

(side note: Once, while working at a hotel front desk, I waited on Fred Armisen in drag. Like the picture below. They were a filming a Portlandia sketch in our lobby. He walked up to me, and the first thing he said, totally deadpan was "Hi. I don't really look like this. I'm in a costume". It took all the effort I could muster not to laugh at the whole situation.)

port_s6_aq_0923_0798_custom-f79b8c7e25d9

How was the show?  Just heard Courtney Barnett on the radio and it reminded me you were going.  I'm such a big fan of hers 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.