2022 Concerts: Who Is Everyone Going to See?

Gugny

On 7/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, The Dean said:

Oddly this summer in Atlanta there were a large number of younger people in the crowd. Among them some smoking hot younger women. First time I've seen that at a Dan concert. 

Yeah, I saw Steeley Dan at Jones Beach last month and the crowd was mixed in terms of age. This was a bucket list show for me, whereas I always meant to see one of their NYC shows in which they focus on a particular album (my favorite being "Aja").

It was a fantastic show. Fagen sounds the same, the band was spectacular, and the drummer might be the best I ever saw.  Fans were talking about him after almost every song. He was playing 10 drums and 5 cymbals and made it look easy. 

A few years ago I saw Steve Winwood at Foxwoods. He was supposed to appear with Steeley Dan at the show at Jones Beach but he cancelled. He is another musician that I highly recommend. I was disappointed but SD was just so good that it was all cool.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, I saw Steeley Dan at Jones Beach last month and the crowd was mixed in terms of age. This was a bucket list show for me, whereas I always meant to see one of their NYC shows in which they focus on a particular album (my favorite being "Aja").

It was a fantastic show. Fagen sounds the same, the band was spectacular, and the drummer might be the best I ever saw.  Fans were talking about him after almost every song. He was playing 10 drums and 5 cymbals and made it look easy. 

A few years ago I saw Steve Winwood at Foxwoods. He was supposed to appear with Steeley Dan at the show at Jones Beach but he cancelled. He is another musician that I highly recommend. I was disappointed but SD was just so good that it was all cool.

I have a pretty cool Donald Fagen story.

At my place of employment (this was about 3 years ago), part of our day was receiving hundreds of fed ex packages/envelopes.  An employee came to my office and said, "I'm pretty sure this wasn't supposed to come to us."  He handed me a box and in it was a bottle of Heaven's Door whiskey (Bob Dylan's brand).

So I looked at the packaging and sure enough, it was addressed to our office.  I looked further inside and saw a receipt, with the purchaser's name/contact information.  Libby Titus-Fagen.

My boss was sitting in my office, and I said, "Hmmm ... Fagen.  I wonder if she's somehow related to Donald Fagen.  I googled her name and she is his wife.  So I called the number on the receipt and got her voicemail.  I left a detailed voicemail and a call back number.  Five minutes later, she called me back.

She was super cool and super nice.  I never let on that I knew who she was/who she's married to.  She told me that she bought the booze because she loved the artistry on the bottle/label.  She went on to say that she and her husband were actually staying in one of Bob Dylan's houses in Woodstock, NY.  She went on to give me their address in NYC.  Then she says, "let me get our Fed Ex number so you don't have to pay to ship it," then I heard her yell, "Don?  Do you have our Fed Ex number?  This nice gentleman is sending is a package that was delivered to him by mistake."  

Next thing I know, Donald Fagen gets on the phone and says hello, then reads off the Fed Ex account number.  I said thanks and have a great day and he handed the phone back to Libby.

She insisted that I give her my name and address and that she wanted to send me a bottle of Dylan's whiskey for being honest and friendly.

She even texted me a couple weeks later to let me know that she'd not forgotten about me and she was, "picking out the perfect bottle."

And that was it.  

I'd love to finish the story saying that I received a bottle of booze and a nice note.  But nothing ever came.

It was still an awesome experience and a story I love to tell.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Anyone go to Melvin Seals and JGB in Rochester yesterday?  Looks like a great setlist.  Saw them a few weeks ago and they were awesome. 

They are tremendous because of Kadlecik.

Personally, I find Dead and Co. to be unlistenable. Listening to Weir sing is a sad experience. I heard him do New Minglewood Blues and had to shut it off. He sounds like an 80 year old, constipated white rapper. Just pitiful.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

They are tremendous because of Kadlecik.

Personally, I find Dead and Co. to be unlistenable. Listening to Weir sing is a sad experience. I heard him do New Minglewood Blues and had to shut it off. He sounds like an 80 year old, constipated white rapper. Just pitiful.

I'm a big fan of Dead and Company, but I completely get it.  I personally thought this tour was fire, I went to 4 shows.  I also agree with your point about John K.  He should be in the Mayer spot, but if Mayer wants to do it, he's going to get the nod every time, and I'm loving him up there.  I got to see John K do a Sunday afternoon acoustic set a few weeks ago and there probably weren't 30 people, he was so damned good 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Got a bucket list show coming up - Pearl Jam in Hamilton ONT 9/6.

I cannot WAIT to read your review!  I'm sure it's gonna be incredible.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Got a bucket list show coming up - Pearl Jam in Hamilton ONT 9/6.

Have seen them a handful of times all over the country.

The highlight was being right on the rail, front row, and having Eddie pour some of his wine into my cup during the solo of Porch. Pretty ***** epic.

They never disappoint. Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Listening to Weir sing is a sad experience. I heard him do New Minglewood Blues and had to shut it off. He sounds like an 80 year old, constipated white rapper. Just pitiful.

I get why people wouldn't enjoy listening to Weir. As to the comment that he sounds like an 80 year old, well...he IS turning 75 in a couple months.

Personally, I'm amazed that Bobby and Phil -- one in his 70s and one in his 80s -- continue to get up and play multi-hour sets of Dead music at their age. We tend to view rock starts as invincible and eternal, but imagine going down to the local nursing home and picking out a 75 and an 82 year old and handing them instruments and asking them to entertain 20,000 music fans for three hours.

Me, personally? I will go and see Weir and Lesh (and Kreutzman and Hart) any time I possibly can. They're not going to be doing this forever, and the chance to experience live music -- however diminished -- being played by guys who have meant so much to my life -- 57 years after they started playing it! -- is an awesome treat for which I am very grateful. That said, in terms of quality of music, I'd argue that Dark Star Orchestra and JRAD are superior to Dead and Company. But I don't really go to Dead and Company shows because I expect to be blown away musically. I go because it's still some of my favorite musicians "searching for the sound" and sometimes finding peak moments, it's still a tribal celebration, it's still church. YMMV.

I saw that Bobby just announced a tour of Wolf Brothers shows, and I plan to attend a couple of those. I really like the "Wolf Pack" horn section and what it adds to the music. I think I've grown to enjoy the Wolf Bros more than Dead and Company, and I suspect Bobby has, too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I get why people wouldn't enjoy listening to Weir. As to the comment that he sounds like an 80 year old, well...he IS turning 75 in a couple months.

Personally, I'm amazed that Bobby and Phil -- one in his 70s and one in his 80s -- continue to get up and play multi-hour sets of Dead music at their age. We tend to view rock starts as invincible and eternal, but imagine going down to the local nursing home and picking out a 75 and an 82 year old and handing them instruments and asking them to entertain 20,000 music fans for three hours.

Me, personally? I will go and see Weir and Lesh (and Kreutzman and Hart) any time I possibly can. They're not going to be doing this forever, and the chance to experience live music -- however diminished -- being played by guys who have meant so much to my life -- 57 years after they started playing it! -- is an awesome treat for which I am very grateful. That said, in terms of quality of music, I'd argue that Dark Star Orchestra and JRAD are superior to Dead and Company. But I don't really go to Dead and Company shows because I expect to be blown away musically. I go because it's still some of my favorite musicians "searching for the sound" and sometimes finding peak moments, it's still a tribal celebration, it's still church. YMMV.

I saw that Bobby just announced a tour of Wolf Brothers shows, and I plan to attend a couple of those. I really like the "Wolf Pack" horn section and what it adds to the music. I think I've grown to enjoy the Wolf Bros more than Dead and Company, and I suspect Bobby has, too.

Got tix to jrad in Philly in November.  Can't wait.  Oh and.....what he said!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I put the Wolf Bros dates around 5 posts up the thread, not sure if you caught that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, T&C said:

I put the Wolf Bros dates around 5 posts up the thread, not sure if you caught that.

I was looking for hotel rooms in Eugene, OR, on the nights that Wolf Bros are playing there. I couldn't find anything good under $250 per night, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that UCLA is coming to town to play the Oregon Ducks that weekend, and college football is enormously popular in Eugene. Damn you, football. I'm gonna end up staying in some weird guy named Bruce's AirBnB. 😝

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

When you consider all the partying they did it is amazing that they can still tour. It's actually amazing they are still alive. With Jerry gone Bob is now the most famous surviving member of the Grateful Dead. He is now the face of Grateful Dead music thru Dead and Co. Even if he can't sing like he used to ( lets face it the Dead weren't known for their singing anyway) I appreciate the fact that he is keeping Grateful Dead music going with these tours. 

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I am glad that you can still enjoy Bob. I cannot and wish that I could, and this includes the Wolf Brothers.

A case can be made that Bob was at his best with Kingfish, who I was lucky enough to see live back in the day. Sometimes I still throw on a Kingfish cd. :) 

• Like (+1) 1

My wife just got us tickets to see Marcus Mumford solo in November in DC.  I love his musicianship and voice - slightly worried as I don't love going to concerts where I don't know the songs.  I would think he'll perform some M&S songs, but I bet it will be a heavy nod to his solo album coming out.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.