2022 Concerts: Who Is Everyone Going to See?

Gugny

Looks like I'm going to see REO Speedwagon/Loverboy and Cheap Trick/Rod Stewart this summer in Saratoga.  Lawn seats (ugh), but I think REO puts on a great show, so I'm excited for that.  Not thrilled about Loverboy ... at all.  I went through a big Cheap Trick phase back in the early-to-mid 80s.  I met Rick Nielsen in 1987 and he was an absolute douchebag.  But I'm still excited to see them.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rod Stewart, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I saw the hottest punk band of 1995 last night and my all time favorite band when I was 12 The Offspring.  Next weekend, the Royal Blood.  Looking at tix for The Killers in September.

I saw the offspring a couple years ago and they were still pretty good! I actually like that new album they put out a year or two ago. 

On 5/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, TBBills said:

Concerts now are people that pay lots of money to go and watch it through there phones.

When I saw tool a couple months back they had signs everywhere reminding everybody of their no phone policy. Some moron in my row kept filming anyways. After about the 4th or 5th warning, they threw him out. 

Hilariously, before the last song about 15 minutes later, Maynard said “ok ****heads you can take your stupid little fing phones out for this last one”. 

unfortunately, many did 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I saw the offspring a couple years ago and they were still pretty good! I actually like that new album they put out a year or two ago. 

When I saw tool a couple months back they had signs everywhere reminding everybody of their no phone policy. Some moron in my row kept filming anyways. After about the 4th or 5th warning, they threw him out. 

Hilariously, before the last song about 15 minutes later, Maynard said “ok ****heads you can take your stupid little fing phones out for this last one”. 

unfortunately, many did 🤦🏻‍♂️

I hate that concerts now are viewed through the displays on the phones and tablets being held up in the air in front of me.  I'm fairly tall and all I see is phones in the air.  Years ago I was at a show and the dude next to me started yelling "You're never going to watch it" which I thought was both true and hilarious.  Those videos just sit on peoples phones until they are deleted years later when you're out of memory.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I hate that concerts now are viewed through the displays on the phones and tablets being held up in the air in front of me.  I'm fairly tall and all I see is phones in the air.  Years ago I was at a show and the dude next to me started yelling "You're never going to watch it" which I thought was both true and hilarious.  Those videos just sit on peoples phones until they are deleted years later when you're out of memory.  

I'll snag a couple videos throughout a show, but I have a personal "less than one minute" rule.  I record clips to share with friends or post on FB.  But it's never more than a couple and I always keep my phone at chest level so no one is disturbed.

When my son and I went to see Korn, there was a couple (late 20s/early 30s) in the front row of the section.  BOTH of them recorded about 90% of the entire concert on their cell phones.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'll snag a couple videos throughout a show, but I have a personal "less than one minute" rule.  I record clips to share with friends or post on FB.  But it's never more than a couple and I always keep my phone at chest level so no one is disturbed.

When my son and I went to see Korn, there was a couple (late 20s/early 30s) in the front row of the section.  BOTH of them recorded about 90% of the entire concert on their cell phones.

Taking a couple of snaps or even a short video is one thing but filming entire songs or the whole show is *****.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And just like videos of fireworks, no one ever goes back and watches them again, and if you do, they never capture the awesomeness of the moment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I have a college buddy who goes to A LOT of concerts. I know when he’s been to one because I start getting this avalanche of videos (that I basically ignore).

A few months ago I get a late night text from him after we had seen Eric Clapton.  He sent me a video from almost EXACTLY where we were sitting. I was on the aisle, and he was walking around getting different angles. 

When I told him we were there and he was right next to me he was stunned. I told him “while you were walking around recording Eric Clapton, I was actually watching and listening to Eric Clapton.”  He would have seen me if he hadn’t been watching thru his phone. 

We saw Van Morrison Sunday, BTW. Good show, but it was like he was going out of his way NOT to play his most popular music. He’s old and feeble, but still enjoyed it. I heard a few years back he played the same venue and would not allow alcohol sales on-site because he’s had a problem with alcohol. (That would put a serious dent in revenue with bottles of ok wine selling for $50-75.) Without the alcohol I might have missed his hits a little more. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added Alice Cooper to my list of upcoming shows.  Seeing him at the Palace Theater (same place we saw Joan Jett - and my favorite venue.  That's in Sept.

I want to pull the trigger on the newly announced Smashing Pumpkins/Jane's Addiction tour ... but I've seen Jane's six times and I don't know if I want to see them at MSG for the crazy price tickets are going for.   Plus, I think the concert is on a Wednesday and it would have to be a turn and burn, driving directly into/out of Manhattan.  Makes for a long ass night.  

Everclear is doing a 30th Anniversary tour and they're coming to the Albany area in July.  Frog Alley Brewing Co.  Now THAT is my kind of venue.  VIP seats are only $65/each after taxes and fees.  Fastball is opening and the show starts at 6:30pm.  My kinda show!  I'll likely pull the trigger on those tix.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mr Info said:

Right now, main acts (bypassing local shows) for which we have tix:

Joe Jackson, May in DC

Roger Waters August in DC

Nick Mason Sept in DC

not scheduling anything after Aug until schedule is released.

idgaf if someone puts up a boomer alert.

So, my sentence after the shows displayed was not true. I took a chance and also purchased tix for Mason’s Saucerful of Secret’s show at Shea’s on Oct 9. 
The schedule was released & bam! Steelers at Bills 1 pm on 10/9. We will fly up and go to the game and then later that night go to Shea’s for the concert. Though this is week 5, I am optimistic, based on games already scheduled, that this game will not be flexed.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Added Alice Cooper to my list of upcoming shows.  Seeing him at the Palace Theater (same place we saw Joan Jett - and my favorite venue.  That's in Sept.

I want to pull the trigger on the newly announced Smashing Pumpkins/Jane's Addiction tour ... but I've seen Jane's six times and I don't know if I want to see them at MSG for the crazy price tickets are going for.   Plus, I think the concert is on a Wednesday and it would have to be a turn and burn, driving directly into/out of Manhattan.  Makes for a long ass night.  

Everclear is doing a 30th Anniversary tour and they're coming to the Albany area in July.  Frog Alley Brewing Co.  Now THAT is my kind of venue.  VIP seats are only $65/each after taxes and fees.  Fastball is opening and the show starts at 6:30pm.  My kinda show!  I'll likely pull the trigger on those tix.

Have you ever seen Alice Cooper? If not, you are in for a real treat... have only seen him once and that was back in the 80's. Enjoy the Coop and the start of the Bills season.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, LeGOATski said:

I'm going to see the symphony orchestra play the Jurassic Park score live along with the movie.

I actually am not a big fan of John Williams (because most of his scores sound the same). But Jurassic Park has to be one of his best— a really wonderful score. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, T&C said:

Have you ever seen Alice Cooper? If not, you are in for a real treat... have only seen him once and that was back in the 80's. Enjoy the Coop and the start of the Bills season.

This will be my first time.  The guys I'm going with (two brothers) have seen him multiple times and LOVE his shows.  I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, T&C said:

I sympathize, but you know what would happen if a performer of that stature offered some budget-priced tickets. Most of them would be resold for 10X.

I actually caught a break on McCartney's last tour. He played Fenway Park in Boston. I think a scalper bought a block of mid-price seats but couldn't sell them at a markup. I wasn't even thinking of going. I normally don't go to stadium extravaganzas for the obvious reasons.

But a buddy was going so on a lark I went on StubHub the day of the show and saw seats for $65+fees. So I took the wife and we had a lovely time and Paul was great, even though I watched a Jumbotron 90% of the time.

So I guess my point is if you don't care enough, you'll find a deal, maybe 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

This will be my first time.  The guys I'm going with (two brothers) have seen him multiple times and LOVE his shows.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Mrs. Lew and I have seen Alice 2X in the past 6 years.  Entertaining as heck. 

Alas the band is not headed to my neck of the woods this tour.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.