Josh back working with Palmer..

52 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

That's really the only hole in his game left. If JA17 can be consistent over a 17 game regular season there's really no more arguments in comparing him to Mahomes.

Everyone has a down game here and there but Mahomes has rarely had those outside of the SB loss to the Bucs a few years ago which is probably still his worst NFL game in his career.

He struggled this last season...

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I actually think one of his biggest issues is not putting enough air under the ball on the deep shots. Specifically the sideline Go Route.  He throws these low angle ropes and if hes off on trajectory it sails 10 yards over the WRs head.  Meanwhile you watch a guy like Russel Wilson drop moonballs over the WRs shoulder and into a basket.  The moonshot gives the WR a chance to adjust speed and track the ball to be the in the right place at the right time.  Allen does well in deep passes like a Post where there is an X axis component but he has missed some huge opportunities on the vertical routes.

He continues to improve in ball placement on the shorter routes and is vastly improved at protecting the football on these passes, protecting his WRs, and giving them a chance at some YAC.  

Right, I do think he needs to put more air on the long balls even though he has become relatively accurate.  I'm more referring to some of the post routes, I remember seeing quite a few that were thrown high BUT CAUGHT and in a few instances outright overthrown that led to interceptions, even though I think a couple of them there were miscommunications between the receiver and Josh.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

That's really the only hole in his game left. If JA17 can be consistent over a 17 game regular season there's really no more arguments in comparing him to Mahomes.

Everyone has a down game here and there but Mahomes has rarely had those outside of the SB loss to the Bucs a few years ago which is probably still his worst NFL game in his career.

Not even close to accurate.  After their first game Mahomes had a string of several bad games, at one point lost 3 out of 4 games and was a turnover machine.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I didn't want Darnold. He never looked comfortable at USC when he was pressured. 

Rosen was my #2 after Allen. 

I didn’t watch a ton of college football but I remember reading that Darnold had the highest floor out of any of the QB’s and that sounded good to me in 2018.   His attitude and work ethic always made him seem like a Process Guy too.  

I’ll always wonder whether Darnold would have been the Bills pick had he been available.  I do think that after NYJ leapfrogged Buffalo for the #3 pick, they set their sights on Allen and he became “the guy.”  But was he their first choice for QB’s from the start?  Or he their first choice based on how they anticipated the board falling?

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I didn’t watch a ton of college football but I remember reading that Darnold had the highest floor out of any of the QB’s and that sounded good to me in 2018.   His attitude and work ethic always made him seem like a Process Guy too.  

I’ll always wonder whether Darnold would have been the Bills pick had he been available.  I do think that after NYJ leapfrogged Buffalo for the #3 pick, they set their sights on Allen and he became “the guy.”  But was he their first choice for QB’s from the start?  Or he their first choice based on how they anticipated the board falling?

I've had alot of bad takes, but I definitely wanted Allen solely cuz hes a farm kid from California. But I got into and argument on this wall with a guy saying Rosen  and darnold are the only options. I had friends on the medical staff at ucla that had interactions with Rosen and they said he was a douche. And some guy on here told me I was just repeating rumors I read online and I was an idiot for thinking Allen over Rosen..... I wonder what that one bills fan would say now...

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think the next stage in Josh's development is with employing the no-huddle.  Taking command and bringing the team to the line quickly, calling his own plays.  Maybe doing that as a change of pace when he wants, to take charge of pace of game and personnel groupings.  I don't think that will be taught by Palmer but I would like to see the Bills staff work on that as a natural part of Josh's progression.

I think he still needs to work on his ball placement accuracy and skills.  On several occasions, his WRs have not been able to catch the ball in stride and continue for more YAC.    Josh himself had stated that in his last off season.  I think he still has quite a bit of work cut out there.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Beast said:

Here's a photo of them going out on the town after they finished....

9B78D958-1C51-4070-A7B2-B37A4B035A9C.jpeg

They zoomed in to cut out the Uber drivers dashboard. 

18 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Allen might have one of the greatest work ethics I've ever seen in a football player. Who else even compares? Bruce Smith? I know he famously stayed in game shape year round.

When Bruce got on board, he SERIOUSLY got on stair master killing board! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Allen might have one of the greatest work ethics I've ever seen in a football player. Who else even compares? Bruce Smith? I know he famously stayed in game shape year round.

I think Brady and Manning have raised the bar.

Actually not so sure Josh is an much of a gym rat, workout maniac or health food nut.  Strong work ethic for sure, but there are lots of those at that level. 

Guys like Derek Henry do insane things like special sleep chambers.  Jerry Rice was a maniac 

15 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No link, noting from Palmer....this might be a lame attempt at a April fools joke.

I also have a vague memory of him saying something like this. What he essentially meant - if I remember right - was that consistency is something he needed to work on and upgrade, that all great QBs have to have this. That great ones have to minimize bad performances.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think Brady and Manning have raised the bar.

Actually not so sure Josh is an much of a gym rat, workout maniac or health food nut.  Strong work ethic for sure, but there are lots of those at that level. 

Guys like Derek Henry do insane things like special sleep chambers.  Jerry Rice was a maniac 

Yeah, there are a ton of dedicated guys who push their bodies to extremes.  Josh though has (in my opinion) a really unique ability to self reflect and improve.  There basically has never been a QB who has changed his mechanics so drastically (and consistently). The guy is a unicorn in that regard. He also is probably a top 10 athlete to ever play the position, honestly.  

5 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Yeah, there are a ton of dedicated guys who push their bodies to extremes.  Josh though has (in my opinion) a really unique ability to self reflect and improve.  There basically has never been a QB who has changed his mechanics so drastically (and consistently). The guy is a unicorn in that regard. He also is probably a top 10 athlete to ever play the position, honestly.  

as a Raw athlete, yeah incredible.

Trying not to be too much of a homer on the works hard bit.

He’s put in the work on mechanics but it’s hard to know how unique it is or if it was more publicized because of social media transparency and how late in life it happened or his technique was just so bad that the improvement was astonishing.  

I’m still thinking his presnap reads have opportunity- still misses some blitzes and layup throws. 

I’m also positive Brady and Brees were working mechanics just as much and perhaps even more nuanced and maniacal. Brady had his own qb coach too, but he didn’t share, then later his own Personal Trainer/nutritionist, etc. 

You don’t hear much  about what mahomes does, but his mechanics are almost irrelevant. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.