I don't think WR is a need. We got a breakout star on our roster already

JerseyBills

His punt returning skills are not that great  and the staff went with Hyde and Mckenzie after he had his chance.  Yes he has speed, but got stood up in a vulnerable position a lot.   He showed nothing as a WR and was a 5th round pick in a weak draft.   Not gonna write him off but also not gonna call him a "breakout star".

I love yall but you're going to be eating crow on this one. I'm the OP and I understand he had some issues but he also only played half a rookie year and was on the active roster once he was healthy.  Pretty clear the coaching staff likes him. Idk why yall are so quick to write him off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

His college tape is unbelievable!

I'm telling ya guys , he's going to have an impact on the 2022 , Superbowl Champion, Buffalo Bills.

✌❤

On 4/1/2022 at 4:46 PM, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

His punt returning skills are not that great  and the staff went with Hyde and Mckenzie after he had his chance.  Yes he has speed, but got stood up in a vulnerable position a lot.   He showed nothing as a WR and was a 5th round pick in a weak draft.   Not gonna write him off but also not gonna call him a "breakout star".

I just believe if he stays healthy, he'll be a valuable weapon on offense 

Edited by JerseyBills

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I was high on him too….until he looked like he didn’t belong in the league

I'm not giving up on "Speedy".  TBH when we brought in Isaiah McKenzie he didn't look like he could play WR.  He might develop.

But, what he's shown us to date doesn't look like we should "bet the rent" (or the season) on him developing into a "Breakout Star"

Yes, Stevenson has speed but it is not that noteworthy. It is basically in a straight line only, and his acceleration to top gear is not that great either. On top of that, his lateral agility is terrible and he has no route running experience.

I was hoping this guy might be something, but it didn't take long to realize that wasn't going to happen.

WR is not a priority.

…because Diggs was extended. 
…because GD is primed for WR2 and under contract through ‘23.

…because Crowder got decent $ and will get major time in the slot.

…because McKenzie was re-signed and should have a similar role as last year, perhaps enhanced.

…because Kumerow was re-signed and earmarked for ST.

A developmental pick is fine to compete with Stevenson, etc. But not at the expense of more pressing needs. A speedier, pass-catching RB is a higher priority based on what the Bills have already shown this off-season.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:04 PM, JerseyBills said:

His name is Marquez Stevenson. With the Crowder acquisition, re signing McKenzie and Davis being as good as I believe he is, I think we're good at WR. Also the beauty of having a Stefon Diggs is he'll bring great intensity and leadership to the WR room and bring out the best from the younger guys.

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed. He seemed to gain confidence in the coaching staff with his late season return duties. 

Davis takes Sanders role. Crowder takes Beasleys role. McKenzie can play in or out and Stevenson can be what McKenzie was last year.

I could totally see a Diggs , McKenzie and Stevenson 3 WR set. I think he could at least be a Hardman type of WR WR because his pure speed is super elite and will always gain attention for his deep threat ability.  

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in rd 5 or later but we quietly built a really good WR room even with 2 veteran losses. Hodgins is also sitting there as a total wildcard. He might not cut it in the NFL but he's only going on year 3

What yall think? 

His college tape is insane! 

I wouldn't count on that just yet lol. Didn't impress much last season, but as a rookie it's expected to have bumps in the road. Great speed obviously, but he has quite a ways to go to prove to be a break out star.

4 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Yes, Stevenson has speed but it is not that noteworthy. It is basically in a straight line only, and his acceleration to top gear is not that great either. On top of that, his lateral agility is terrible and he has no route running experience.

I was hoping this guy might be something, but it didn't take long to realize that wasn't going to happen.

If only Al Davis was still alive we’d have the option to trade him for a 1st! 

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

Well, he would owe it to us after Ralph bailed him out and the Lamonica/Chandler trades...

I almost feel bad that his son has to wear the haircut of shame after the Lamonica trade. Such is life! The next generation can avoid that hideous look. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, buffblue said:

To be fair it hasn't been nearly long enough to make that determination. He was a rookie for Pete sake, I mean were you expecting him to have a DK Metcalf type rookie year? Lol, come on man....

I agree he has a ways to go, but other than the Punt Returns that scared the ***** out of all of us, he didn't get many opportunities. We will see how he does this next season and how he could be used. But I wouldn't write him off just yet

16 minutes ago, Airseven said:

WR is not a priority.

…because Diggs was extended. 
…because GD is primed for WR2 and under contract through ‘23.

…because Crowder got decent $ and will get major time in the slot.

…because McKenzie was re-signed and should have a similar role as last year, perhaps enhanced.

…because Kumerow was re-signed and earmarked for ST.

A developmental pick is fine to compete with Stevenson, etc. But not at the expense of more pressing needs. A speedier, pass-catching RB is a higher priority based on what the Bills have already shown this off-season.

I’m cool with your first 2 points, Crowder should have no impact on whether or not a team looks at WR, but you really lost me at mentioning WR shouldn’t be a priority because of Kummerow. So you would pass on a WR because of that guy? When has he shown anything?? And don’t mention the developmental part of your statement, that’s a throw away statement 

12 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

To be fair it hasn't been nearly long enough to make that determination. He was a rookie for Pete sake, I mean were you expecting him to have a DK Metcalf type rookie year? Lol, come on man....

I agree he has a ways to go, but other than the Punt Returns that scared the ***** out of all of us, he didn't get many opportunities. We will see how he does this next season and how he could be used. But I wouldn't write him off just yet

Hey, I could be wrong but I'm just calling it as I see it. Some guys are rough around the edges but may have untapped potential. To me, Stevenson looked like he doesn't even belong anywhere near an NFL field.

What did you see that makes you believe otherwise?

Edited by buffblue

9 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m cool with your first 2 points, Crowder should have no impact on whether or not a team looks at WR, but you really lost me at mentioning WR shouldn’t be a priority because of Kummerow. So you would pass on a WR because of that guy? When has he shown anything?? And don’t mention the developmental part of your statement, that’s a throw away statement 

Meant that there’s only ~6 WR spots and  the roster, usually including somebody who can play ST. I don’t see the point of signing both Crowder and McKenzie if they planned to invest early in the draft. Crowder isn’t on a vet minimum.

“Developmental” meaning a mid-round pick. CB, RB, and OL are higher priorities. Probably also LB.

23 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Hey, I could be wrong but I'm just calling it as I see it. Some guys are rough around the edges but may have untapped potential. To me, Stevenson looked like he doesn't even belong anywhere near an NFL field.

What did you see that makes you believe otherwise?

I'm just saying you can't really know anything after one rookie year. I'm not arguing he struggled, just way too early to write him off

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I love yall but you're going to be eating crow on this one. I'm the OP and I understand he had some issues but he also only played half a rookie year and was on the active roster once he was healthy.  Pretty clear the coaching staff likes him. Idk why yall are so quick to write him off. 🤷🏻‍♂️

His college tape is unbelievable!

I'm telling ya guys , he's going to have an impact on the 2022 , Superbowl Champion, Buffalo Bills.

✌❤

I just believe if he stays healthy, he'll be a valuable weapon on offense 

Your attempt to proactively gloat about his upcoming success is essentially blowing your life savings on a stack of lottery tickets and saying "you'll see this was a wise financial decision when I win the jackpot".  If you happen to end up being "right" about him, it doesn't change the fact that this excessive optimism was baseless homerism for a personal favorite player.  He simply hasn't shown anything to indicate your prediction is based on anything tangible.  I'm not saying he won't be good, I hope he will, but the evidence simply isn't there.

If he breaks out as you hope, you'll proclaim yourself a genius.  If he doesn't and this gets dragged up, then come the excuses about him being held back somehow.

Edited by 1ManRaid

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.