I don't think WR is a need. We got a breakout star on our roster already

JerseyBills

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You've got OL way too high after signing Rodger Saffold, retaining Ryan Bates long term, re-signing Ike Boettger, and also signing Greg Mancz. Starting Line is set for this season and 4/5 of them are on long term contracts.

Maybe a mid round pick or two for development. But none of Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, or Brown are being benched and you don't spend your first rounder on a rotational Lineman who won't see much playing time in Year 1.

Hmmmm.  Saffold is going into his 12 season at age 34.  His strength is run blocking, not pass pro.  I like the signing a lot more than some other folks here, and I think he's an upgrade on Williams at G, but he is NOT a long term plan at IOL.

Bates is part of an OL of Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown that Beane referred to as "a starting point" in his post-season presser where he said that we need to protect Josh, and that the running game is part of protecting Josh.  If that's a "starting point" and Beane thinks swapping Saffold for Williams and switching Bates to the R side is a suitable "end point" to accomplish the "protect Josh, improve the run game" goal, he's not who we think he is as GM and he's not sincere about meeting those goals.

I'm not saying that 1st round OL is the way to go, but we need a high draft pick (round 1-3) on OL and probably a late pick as well.

Boettger may not come back the same from his Achilles, especially early in the season.  Mancz is a 4-team journeyman signed as depth.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Do you trust this coaching staff to play the best players? Took 10+ weeks and multiple injuries to get Bates in the lineup. Davis was getting minimal targets for much of the season.  Moss and Singletary were getting equal reps. Gilliam is allowed to play. McKenzie disappeared for large stitches of the season. Basham is inactive most of the season while we watch Epenesa suck all year.

Not saying I think Stevenson will break out this year. But I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. 

Yes I trust the coaching staff to get the best players on the field for the playoffs.  I think the end of the season demonstrates it perfectly. 

They have admitted they were limiting reps for Beasley and Diggs.  They fiddled with the line (some of it injuries) during the season almost every year.  I think they will continue to fiddle for the first 3 quarters of the season so they can find the best players for the playoff push.  That will mean we play worse at the start of the season and have some head scratchers.

I agree I don't quite see Stevenson breaking out.  

the OP does make a good point.  We have Stevenson and Hodgkins.  Yes, they have proven nothing due to the depth of the WR room, but a rookie has proven nothing either (but they were not here).  

I think the WRs will be taken in the 2nd or 3rd.  Really depends on BPA.  If that's a WR I'm all for it.  I just don't want to reach for anything.  I'm cool with CB, IOL, LB, CB, anything at BPA at 25.  Don't target a position, there should be a day 1 impact player there.  Then trade up in 2nd if you love a specific WR, RB, or CB, and do same in 3rd.  

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't remember any game off the top of my head that Hodgins was active for. 

Like I said, the coaching staff seemed to gain alot of trust in Stevenson as the season went on. 

Please elaborate on how they "gained a lot trust '. If this is an April Fools joke, its pretty bad...

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You've got OL way too high after signing Rodger Saffold, retaining Ryan Bates long term, re-signing Ike Boettger, and also signing Greg Mancz. Starting Line is set for this season and 4/5 of them are on long term contracts.

Maybe a mid round pick or two for development. But none of Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, or Brown are being benched and you don't spend your first rounder on a rotational Lineman who won't see much playing time in Year 1.

Dane Jackson played more snaps last year than Bates, yet bates is penciled in at starting RG - despite playing LG last year, and everyone says jackson is trash.  I actually think i like his play better than wallace in our defense.  

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That didn't happen.

He played just 6 offensive snaps all season........no receptions..........and lost his returner job in the playoffs.

It just “seemed” like that happened. Just like how I “seem” to get funnier, smarter and better looking with age.

Edited by FireChans
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills were the worst yards after catch team in the entire NFL last year.

They NEED someone who can take a short pass and do some damage to keep defense's honest.

It's not a want.........it's a NEED.

Before Josh Allen turned into RB1 and his 200-carry-season-pace made the Bills offense almost impossible to defend for 4 quarters........there were games where their lack of RAC ability and explosiveness in the short passing game was extremely detrimental.

Adding Jamison Crowder and his woeful 3.5 yac figure last year shouldn't be counted on to change that aspect.

Excellent post. Sanders was a pickup I didn’t feel too strongly about last year because he is a guy too similar to the skill sets of Davis and Diggs. 

We need a guy that can take a 5 yard flare pattern and run around the defender to get 10 or 15. Guys like that are the “missing link” in our offense. 

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

His name is Marquez Stevenson. With the Crowder acquisition, re signing McKenzie and Davis being as good as I believe he is, I think we're good at WR. Also the beauty of having a Stefon Diggs is he'll bring great intensity and leadership to the WR room and bring out the best from the younger guys.

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed. He seemed to gain confidence in the coaching staff with his late season return duties. 

Davis takes Sanders role. Crowder takes Beasleys role. McKenzie can play in or out and Stevenson can be what McKenzie was last year.

I could totally see a Diggs , McKenzie and Stevenson 3 WR set. I think he could at least be a Hardman type of WR WR because his pure speed is super elite and will always gain attention for his deep threat ability.  

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in rd 5 or later but we quietly built a really good WR room even with 2 veteran losses. Hodgins is also sitting there as a total wildcard. He might not cut it in the NFL but he's only going on year 3

What yall think? 

His college tape is insane! 

We should totally depend on this 

Wishful thinking since everyone is looking for the next Tyreek Hill type of player, but there's honestly a better chance at this point of Stevenson not even making the team this summer vs making the roster and contributing.

Still pretty sure we are going to add another WR at some point in the draft and/or FA which also diminishes the chances of Stevenson being on the final roster.

Stevenson is unproven and undersized for an outside receiver.  He is mostly special teams and depth at slot receiver, and perhaps a potential gadget player should Isaiah McKenzie eventually depart.  Size is the main reason I'm not especially thrilled with the projection some mock drafts have of Jahan Dotson going to Buffalo

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

His name is Marquez Stevenson. With the Crowder acquisition, re signing McKenzie and Davis being as good as I believe he is, I think we're good at WR. Also the beauty of having a Stefon Diggs is he'll bring great intensity and leadership to the WR room and bring out the best from the younger guys.

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed. He seemed to gain confidence in the coaching staff with his late season return duties. 

Davis takes Sanders role. Crowder takes Beasleys role. McKenzie can play in or out and Stevenson can be what McKenzie was last year.

I could totally see a Diggs , McKenzie and Stevenson 3 WR set. I think he could at least be a Hardman type of WR WR because his pure speed is super elite and will always gain attention for his deep threat ability.  

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in rd 5 or later but we quietly built a really good WR room even with 2 veteran losses. Hodgins is also sitting there as a total wildcard. He might not cut it in the NFL but he's only going on year 3

What yall think? 

His college tape is insane! 

Wow a star ha ? 

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Stevenson is unproven and undersized for an outside receiver.  He is mostly special teams and depth at slot receiver, and perhaps a potential gadget player should Isaiah McKenzie eventually depart.  Size is the main reason I'm not especially thrilled with the projection some mock drafts have of Jahan Dotson going to Buffalo

I would love Jahan Dotson give Josh another weapon, besides drafting a CB I wouldn’t mind this entire draft being dedicated to the offense , and yes I would like another RB in draft as well 

6 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Marquez Stevenson's college highlights are awesome but he absolutely stunk last year, no other way to put it. We need to draft a return guy to compete with Stevenson at camp. Velus Jones Jr lets go.

My 2 cents.  First of all most are saying 4.45 isn't fast; well, it is.  But really, it seems apparent he's faster than that with 4.3s galore in college.  Then, yeah, he fumbled, but lots of rookies get nervous their first couple of times out.  IMO he needs a BIG look in training camp this year because he IS fast and has big potential.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.