I don't think WR is a need. We got a breakout star on our roster already

JerseyBills

His name is Marquez Stevenson. With the Crowder acquisition, re signing McKenzie and Davis being as good as I believe he is, I think we're good at WR. Also the beauty of having a Stefon Diggs is he'll bring great intensity and leadership to the WR room and bring out the best from the younger guys.

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed. He seemed to gain confidence in the coaching staff with his late season return duties. 

Davis takes Sanders role. Crowder takes Beasleys role. McKenzie can play in or out and Stevenson can be what McKenzie was last year.

I could totally see a Diggs , McKenzie and Stevenson 3 WR set. I think he could at least be a Hardman type of WR WR because his pure speed is super elite and will always gain attention for his deep threat ability.  

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in rd 5 or later but we quietly built a really good WR room even with 2 veteran losses. Hodgins is also sitting there as a total wildcard. He might not cut it in the NFL but he's only going on year 3

What yall think? 

His college tape is insane! 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Dislike 5

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Strong praise for a fifth round pick who has proven nothing at the NFL level.

Why him and not Isaiah Hodgins?

I don't remember any game off the top of my head that Hodgins was active for. 

Like I said, the coaching staff seemed to gain alot of trust in Stevenson as the season went on. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

His name is Marquez Stevenson. With the Crowder acquisition, re signing McKenzie and Davis being as good as I believe he is, I think we're good at WR. Also the beauty of having a Stefon Diggs is he'll bring great intensity and leadership to the WR room and bring out the best from the younger guys.

Stevenson was 1st team all ACC in 18 and 19 and has freakish speed. He seemed to gain confidence in the coaching staff with his late season return duties. 

Davis takes Sanders role. Crowder takes Beasleys role. McKenzie can play in or out and Stevenson can be what McKenzie was last year.

I could totally see a Diggs , McKenzie and Stevenson 3 WR set. I think he could at least be a Hardman type of WR WR because his pure speed is super elite and will always gain attention for his deep threat ability.  

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a WR in rd 5 or later but we quietly built a really good WR room even with 2 veteran losses. Hodgins is also sitting there as a total wildcard. He might not cut it in the NFL but he's only going on year 3

What yall think? 

His college tape is insane! 

I'm certainly not giving up on him, but I tend to agree with FireChans in that he really didn't do too much last year, outside of a couple of decent punt returns.  I'm down to see what he can do given a chance or two at WR....However, this year's draft just has such sexy prospects it's hard to ignore the fact at least one or two bonafide stars could be there waiting for us when we pick...

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had hopes for him. But we needed speed last season and the coaches didn't use him, which speaks volumes. And when he got his shot at being the return man, he showed a proclivity for putting the ball on the ground. Both he and Hodgins were end of the draft picks that have shown nothing. They aren't people you count on.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Like I said, the coaching staff seemed to gain alot of trust in Stevenson as the season went on. 

That didn't happen.

He played just 6 offensive snaps all season........no receptions..........and lost his returner job in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I don't remember any game off the top of my head that Hodgins was active for. 

Gained a lot of trust as the season went on...you mean when he came off IR late in November after a couple months missed?  They "trusted" that he was no longer injured.  Finished the season with all of zero receptions, and two fumbles.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I'm certainly not giving up on him, but I tend to agree with FireChans in that he really didn't do too much last year, outside of a couple of decent punt returns.  I'm down to see what he can do given a chance or two at WR....However, this year's draft just has such sexy prospects it's hard to ignore the fact at least one or two bonafide stars could be there waiting for us when we pick...

He was sitting behind great WRs. He was a late rd rookie, what did you expect? And he made the active roster late in the year. 

He has freakish speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sure could happen.  Diggs was a 5th rounder, Beasley was undrafted as was Thielan.  But odds aren't that great when dealing with a 6th round draft pick.  Not saying he can't become great, but don't think you want to count on it.

1st team ACC means very little as well the ACC isn't that great a conference to start with.  On top of that if you're going to get drafted at all you better be able to make 1st team ACC.  Yes he does have speed, could still easily make the team if if they draft a WR high as he could be the 6th WR, guy they turn to for pure speed.  Maybe he spent all off season in weight room and has bulked up.

They need to draft someone high, not so much for the 2022 season, but more long term.  No guarantee Diggs will be here next season if he decides he wants Hill/Adams type money or even close to it.   Also injuries to worry about so could use more high quality depth.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He was sitting behind great WRs. He was a late rd rookie, what did you expect? And he made the active roster late in the year. 

He has freakish speed. 

A late rookie that gave us no reason to get excited is gonna be the answer?  You’re really reaching here dude. 

Edited by whorlnut

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Gained a lot of trust as the season went on...you mean when he came off IR late in November after a couple months missed?  They "trusted" that he was no longer injured.  Finished the season with all of zero receptions, and two fumbles.

Exactly. 

Immediately after coming off ir he was on the active roster

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Sure could happen.  Diggs was a 5th rounder, Beasley was undrafted as was Thielan.  But odds aren't that great when dealing with a 6th round draft pick.  Not saying he can't become great, but don't think you want to count on it.

1st team ACC means very little as well the ACC isn't that great a conference to start with.  On top of that if you're going to get drafted at all you better be able to make 1st team ACC.  Yes he does have speed, could still easily make the team if if they draft a WR high as he could be the 6th WR, guy they turn to for pure speed.  Maybe he spent all off season in weight room and has bulked up.

They need to draft someone high, not so much for the 2022 season, but more long term.  No guarantee Diggs will be here next season if he decides he wants Hill/Adams type money or even close to it.   Also injuries to worry about so could use more high quality depth.

Don’t forget that Beane might not wanna pay Davis big money if he continues to ascend. There is a legit need at WR. 

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He has freakish speed. 

You're right. He has freakish speed. And he lasted until the 6th Round. What does that tell you? We needed speed and someone to stretch the field last season and they didn't use him. Even when we had injuries at WR. What does that tell you?

Maybe he'll stay on as the 6th or 7th WR. MAYBE. But it's insane to think he's going to be a contributor.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Don’t forget that Beane might not wanna pay Davis big money if he continues to ascend. There is a legit need at WR. 

Sure but wonder if instead they sign Davis and let Diggs go?  But agree either way, they need a top WR.

Will admit now that signed Bates and Bottenger, drafting a RB maybe in the 2nd doesn't sound as bad as less holes.  Especially true if they sign/trade for a CB before the draft.

Banking on late round guys to be breakout players is an objectively awful teambuilding strategy.  Guys like Gabe Davis are the exception to the rule, not the expected norm.

WR is a major need, in my opinion (and I hope that opinion is shared by Beane).  Having effective weapons that are cost controlled is really important to the future of the Bills.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.