Greg Gumbel on announcers...

eball

16 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

It was a revelation to me when I discovered I could listen to the Spanish translation of the games by switching the language preference on my tv. I do that now whenever it's an option. I do understand Spanish, and I can say that I seldom hear the inane comments most announcers make on our main networks. Just old-school play by play, and a little commentary, with high emotion. But the emotion comes across naturally, not forced as it does with many English-speaking announcers who are perhaps trying too hard to sound excited. "Josh Allen, QUE FUERZA!"

Did the games on SNF constantly shrill for PFF?  If not might be worth learning Spanish.

18 hours ago, Rico said:

Interesting. I think Madden is the only one who had the power to make casual fans watch, while Summerall zzzz certainly did not. Maybe Cosell and Dandy Don to a point.

The Dennis Miller experiment was a bizarre attempt to break the mold. 

15 hours ago, babulator said:

I like the insight Romo or the Mannings can bring to a game, but I don't watch a game because of them. The rest of them are just background noise.

Romo is too much for me. He needs to learn less is more many times.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:39 PM, Shake_My_Head said:

Sure, you're going to watch the game anyway, no matter what.    But announcers are part of the game, too.    They can make it a better, more memorable experience, and the best ones do.   

Not just TV, but radio as well.   What would Buffalo sports be without Van Miller and Rick Jennerette?   They're both a big part of my favorite sports memories.    

It’s an interesting point. Local play by play and color guys certainly can add an almost family-like dimension to a game, especially good ones. We were fortunate to have Van Miller and Rick Jennerette (and while Ted Darling pre-dates my hockey fandom, I understand he also fit the bill).

On the other hand, I most likely won’t have the same nostalgia for Murphy and Tasker who, as an out of towner, I’ve had to grit my teeth through their mangled games on numerous occasions. 

I don’t think the same sentiments apply to the current national crews, though. I’m of the opinion that the best of them are nothing more than part of the background, while  the worst of them are nails on a chalkboard.

Summerall made golf watchable, and helped make watching football a Sunday institution.  Madden helped in his goofball way later on, but it was Summerall who made watching 6+ hours of Sunday football something the wives were just going to have to deal with.  

The original Monday Night Football crew invented that time slot.  Who the hell cared about Monday night until That Show hit the airwaves.  

Gumble's an ego-driven mediocrity- what he's saying is currently pretty true, but he's saying it because he was never worth a damn as a broadcaster, therefore his ego tells him nobody is worth a damn.  
And there have been a TON of great local/team broadcasters too.   Gumble's always been a tool. 

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

25 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Awful.

Definitely. But I’ll take that over Collinsworth. I cannot listen to that guy. 

It may be my homerism taking over but it sure feels like every qb we’re facing is gods gift, every penalty we get is justified, and every penalty the opposing team gets is a “ticky tack call.” 

Not sure if he just doesn’t like Buffalo, or I’m too sensitive during the games, but I don’t feel that way with other announcers. 

When it comes to this site's GDTs, I could live without all the posts about commentators during the game.

Why it gets people all upset is hard for me to understand.

Personally, I think most of the play-by-play announcers do a pretty good job and that's what I care about the most.

Color commentators I put into categories of "guys who talk about football like none of us have ever watched it" and pure "fanboys"

of the better teams and star players.  I'm lucky I guess on being able to "tune them both out".

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:24 PM, MJS said:

Some of them annoy me. Some of them I like. But there is only one that I can't stand and consider muting the TV for: Chris Collinsworth.

I'll also say the Monday night guys were pretty cringe worthy last season. Those guys really annoyed me.

I must say i agree with you about Collinsworth. Nails on a chalkboard for me. 

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I mute for 85% of these people.  

Music is good, beer, food...no insufferable babble heads.  

So you don’t have audio for the games, and have no idea what might be happening in terms of a flag, replay’s, or injuries?  Okee dokee. 

19 minutes ago, BTB said:

So you don’t have audio for the games, and have no idea what might be happening in terms of a flag, replay’s, or injuries?  Okee dokee. 

I have been watching football for a long, long time.  I have a very strong idea.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I have been watching football for a long, long time.  I have a very strong idea.

Not doubting how long you have followed football, just the notion that you mute the audio for the majority of the games. Why?  

To each their own…I guess. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.