Greg Gumbel on announcers...

eball

Sure, you're going to watch the game anyway, no matter what.    But announcers are part of the game, too.    They can make it a better, more memorable experience, and the best ones do.   

Not just TV, but radio as well.   What would Buffalo sports be without Van Miller and Rick Jennerette?   They're both a big part of my favorite sports memories.    

Too many go in with these preconceived approaches and just plug it all game rather than being in the moment of the game, or just overemphasize a player saying their name hundreds of times a game (e.g., Drew Brees or Brady).  Some just focus on mistakes. All of those approaches miss the mark for me. Madden was great because he knew to shut up sometimes or just focus on something unique or positive in the moment of the game.  Romo is good because he sees the game and is great at providing insight into the QB’s options and the formation strengths and he is sincerely likable in his approach by not being a smug jock.   

It’s Romo or the Mannings for me!

Why the Networks even pay the rest of these turds, is beyond me.

Bills fans know that they have gotten the bottom feeders for decades.

Lazy, no nothing, uninspired, boring clowns with mikes. I’ve turned off the audio- forever!

NOOOOBODY PAYS A NICKEL TO LISTEN TO YOU! 

• Like (+1) 1

I only notice the announcers when they go out of their way to ball wash someone for no reason. 

Losing 35-0, score on a 3rd and goal to make it 35-7.

"And that's what makes him a great player"

Umm no it doesn't because he hasn't done anything since then.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

It was a revelation to me when I discovered I could listen to the Spanish translation of the games by switching the language preference on my tv. I do that now whenever it's an option. I do understand Spanish, and I can say that I seldom hear the inane comments most announcers make on our main networks. Just old-school play by play, and a little commentary, with high emotion. But the emotion comes across naturally, not forced as it does with many English-speaking announcers who are perhaps trying too hard to sound excited. "Josh Allen, QUE FUERZA!"

I too figured this out not long ago.  My gf is 1st gen American and her parents are straight from spain/Mexico.  My Spanish is ok but when watching with the "in laws" we watch it in Spanish, so I have time to explain whats happening.....needless to say I created 2 more bills fans by association

So to edit back to topic....

Anybody but collinsworth

Edited by Moulds_80
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

In my ideal world, all NFL games are called by Gus Johnson and Tony Romo (sans straightjacket).  Every time one of their voices cracks I take a shot.

So being trashed by the 2nd qtr is your goal then huh?

i like and dislike some announcers above and below others, but im watching the games im going to watch regardless. 

the worst announcing crew i ever heard was the booger crew when the bills played the texans in the playoffs. easily the most irritated ive ever been.

i also happen to be in the lonely collinsworth fan club. 

13 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Announcers I like listening to and make a game intersting:

Mike Breen - basketball

Kevin Harlan 

Gus Johnson

Gary Cohen - baseball

Color:

Tony Romo

Walt Clyde Frazier

Ron Darling

Solid list. Darling and Frazier particularly and still get a kick out of Romo. Gus Johnson is solid. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.